close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock Kyptonite

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by dogsoldier, Jun 12, 2006.

1. dogsoldier

dogsoldier

I have found something to make my G32 not work. A couple of weeks ago, I took it to a gunsmith to install some ameriglow night sights, got it back, looked great. Last weekend I took it out back to shoot a box o' S&B .357sig, inserted magazine, pulled back the slide, took aim and nothing, not even a click. I tried to cycle the action a couple of times, the trigger wasn't resetting, no bang.

Took it inside, popped off the slide and compared it to my G37 slide.
    Turns out the firing pin safety was jammed in upside down, and the spring was gone. Took it back to him Sun and got it fixed. Anyone else have problems with gunsmiths?

2. binderd22

binderd22 Ain't Skeerd

Sounds more like an individual incident...not necessarily a Glock thing. I'm glad you got it fixed & are back shooting again.

3. B Coyote

B Coyote

Lemme get this straight....

You took your gun in for a sight installation and it came back to you with a part missing and another installed improperly? Very Important Parts that have NOTHING whatsoever to do with sights.

Assuming that: WTF was he doing in your slide?

If this is the case, and those parts were in your gun when you took it to him, I'd have a LONG chat with his manager or boss about this potentially deadly problem.

I'd also tell EVERYONE about how he mucked up your pistol so he can't do it to theirs. This "gunsmith" is an idiot.

bc

4. JWP

JWP

5. BustedFlush

BustedFlush Springy Member

There is no excuse for that. If he was only installing sights, there is no reason that the FP safety was removed.

Anytime I even fieldstrip the pistol, when I reassemble it I am going to cycle the action and dry fire the pistol.

Glocks have got to be the easiest pistols to work and this "gunsmith" doesn't know anything about Glocks.

6. Str8_Shooter_85

Str8_Shooter_85

+1000000 this "gunsmith" sounds like what i'd call a screaming erection...

7. hawk_the_walk

hawk_the_walk

Like someone already said, talk to the guy's boss and tell him what happened. Im sure that dumbass gunsmith wont do it again.

8. stangyg123

stangyg123 NRA 4 Ever

That about says it all!

I am in whole hearted agreement here, I would certainly not take and more guns to this genius. He was installing NS which have nothing to do with the firing pin safety, he should not have been messing with anything he was not asked to. Shame on him. :frown:

9. dogsoldier

dogsoldier

Interesting feedback, I thought it was pretty odd also, that installing sights required detail stripping of the slide. This guys works out of his home so it is tought to talk to his boss, but I could talk to the gunshop that recommended him.

I guess it's possible that he hadn't worked on many glocks and was just poking around inside. Not that I would like that. You'd also think that he would notice the spring pop out when he pulled the FP safety.

10. B Coyote

B Coyote

You need to have a SERIOUS talk with the gunshop who suggested this guy. He could've gotten you KILLED! with his ignorance.

You also need to warn EVERYONE you know about this guy.

I'm being 100% serious, dogsoldier.

I don't think you're angry enough about this situation.

1. WTF was he doing in your slide? Installing sights does NOT require detail stripping the slide, and if he thinks it does, he shouldn't call himself a gunsmith.

2. HTF did he NOT notice that he lost the FP Safety Spring and HTF could he possibly NOT realize he installed the FP Safety in upside down?

3. Is he stupid enough that he didn't think you'd eventually figure it out? Or did he simply not care?

You said when you took the gun back to the him, he replaced the parts for you? What did he say at that time?

bc

11. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

One shouldn't take his Glock to a gunsmith......unless he's a Glock armorer.

:patriot:

12. arqdos

arqdos

I agree with dogsoldier, probably he hadn't worked on many glocks and was just poking around inside, or was trying to make you a favour and clean the pistol, well, anyways, you need to have a long talk with the guy and with the gunshop and clarify the issue. The gunsmith should be told that what he did was extremely dangerous and to never again mess with a gun unless he really knows what he is doing.

13. dwebb210

dwebb210 NRA life member CLM

People should invest in their own tools and do the work
    themselves. I've had brake jobs on my cars get totally botched
    by "certified" mechanics, and now to hear that a gunsmith can
    mess up a gun... Screw that. I'll do my own work on
    life-and-death parts, thank you very much.

14. B Coyote

B Coyote

If he hasn't worked on many Glocks, and wanted to poke around, he should get his own pistol.

Don't muck around in someone else's firearm.

bc

15. chec

chec Cookies?!

Does he have a dremel?

16. B Coyote

B Coyote

Dremel tools should require a $200 transfer tax.

bc

17. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

How do you figure he decided he need to remove detail strip the slide in order to change sights in the first place? You should let people know about this guy.

18. kraigster414

kraigster414

Not a confidence builder. Find yourself another gunsmith.

19. dogsoldier

dogsoldier

I won't be going back that's for sure. I didn't scream at him sunday because I figured it would be out of my hands for a week, getting it fixed in 15minutes cooled me out, although you guys are getting me more pissed just thinking about it.

20. B Coyote

B Coyote

Dude, you SHOULD be pissed off.

REALLY pissed off.

This guy could have gotten you KILLED with his stupidity. Granted, the chances of that are slim, but they do exist (which is why we have firearms in the first place). Think about what he did....he took your gun apart without your permission, and reassembled it incorrectly, losing a part, a VERY important part. What's worse, he didn't admit to his error and let you, the PAYING customer, discover it on the range.

Good thing it was a one way range, huh?

I'm surprised he bothered to remember to put the firing pin back in the gun. :upeyes:

What he needs is a combat boot inserted ankle deep in the rear.

Better yet, what he REALLY needs is a printed copy of this thread to VERIFY what a moron he is.

FWIW, I'd also report him to the Better Business Bureau in your area.

bc