close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

glock knives

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by mike4570, Aug 30, 2006.

1. mike4570

mike4570

How's the quality and durability of these knives. I'm looking for something to tie to the rigging on a kayak.
    Who has the best prices?
    Thanks, Mike

2. snoopdawg

snoopdawg

due to the blade grind and design they are not very sharp; and hard to sharpen. The blade is straight like a bayonet; not really comfortable in your hand. I am a kayaker/canoeist, you are better off attaching your knife to your floatation vest, that way it is always with you.

3. Turtle Dude

Turtle Dude

agree with the above-I like the knives-for the money they are great-for some things. I leave them in my car as a tool. I am a tournament archer and they are good for digging for lost arrows on an olympic field (the black finish does come off fairly easily). They are good for scraping old fletching off of arrows-because of the wide edge angle it won't cut into the carbon fiber of the 350 dollar a dozen X10 arrows most of us serious olympic style guys use. its ok for cutting rope, sharpening pencils and while its a bit blade light for serious "slashing" knife offense/defense, its a good knife if you use a fencing or some reverse grip techniques given its cost and balance.

for kayaking knifes you might drop mike sastre a line at river city sheathes (http://www.rivercitysheaths.com/ours.html)
    he used to work as an equipment guy with the olympic kayakers concerning edged tools. This fellow knows as much about knives as anyone I met and he is a participant in the "Riddle of Steel" seminars. He's also a really good guy you can count on

4. duckintheface

duckintheface

You might consider a Mora. They are cheap so if you lose one you won't feel too bad. The stainless version is good around water.... no rust. The blade holds an edge and the sheath offers a positive lock so the knife doesn't fall out as you go over the falls.

5. dcamnc

dcamnc

They are good utility knives. As the above members posted, the knife comes pretty dull. I spent a long time sharpening mine on an edgepro, and it still is only passably sharp. Glock should change the angle of the grinds, it's very hard to flatten out the bevels. I started at 24 degrees on my edgepro for the BACKBEVEL! The micro edge was I'd guess about 28 degrees. Needless to say, with angles like that, I couldn't get her very sharp. Good tool knife though.

6. snoopdawg

snoopdawg

Among knowledgable knife people the Glocks would be considered "sharpened prybars".

7. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Everybody needs a sharpened prybar around, to keep from damaging a precious knife!:rofl: