close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock Knife

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Rikki, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Rikki

Rikki Pathetic Loser

I recently served as a RO at a Glock Shoot-as a perk I got a free Glock Knife...I got the one with the serrations on the back of the blade...
    What do you guys think of the knife and what are the 2 little holes for near the butt of the handle??

2. Revvie

Revvie Austrian Glockr

As i have served in the austrian army i know that the tail cap can be removed to reveal a compartment. Once the plug is away you can pull a lanyard through it.

It was never designed as a bayonet, as the AUG misses a fixing lug. It always was intended to be e field/fighting knife.
    Thus the term "Feldmesser 81" for the sawback and "Feldmesser 78" for the one with the smooth back.

3. CCV

CCV Millennium Member

GOOD answer.

4. FWberserk

FWberserk

i bought a glock 78 (no root saw) about a year ago. very durable and well constructed, i'll probably add an 81 to my collection before too long. anyone get a chance to use one in the field? how do they hold up under extreme use?

5. CCV

CCV Millennium Member

What blade steel do they use?

6. ThinkOfTheChildren

ThinkOfTheChildren C.E. Moderator

That's a big reason why a lot of knife enthusiasts don't bother with the Glock knives, actually. Last time I checked, Glock won't tell anyone what steel they use in their knives. They claim that it is some sort of uber-secret material and that revealing any information about it would be ammo for their competition.

7. Terry Newton

Terry Newton

I did not know this. I will have to check that out the next time I see one of these knives.

I have never heard of this either. Any guesses? I would assume the low price would indicate AUS 8 or 1095.

I have always liked these knives, especially b/c of the different colors. I have never bought one for two reasons, however. First, you are going to have to take the time to grind a new edge since the factory edge is ground to Ontario Spec Plus standards, which equals THICK.

Second, the handle is just not large enough for my hands.

Revvie - is the average Austrian male a small frame person? I would guess the average male here, today, is around 5' 10" or 11", and around 175 to 200 pounds. Would everyone else agree?

I am on the taller/chunky side of that. ;f

8. Revvie

Revvie Austrian Glockr

The AVERAGE male in Austria measures between 175 to 177 cm . figure it out in feet and inches yourself. there ar lots of larger and smaller dudes.

As it is a fighting knife, it has to be a good stabber. Throat cuts work well, too!!!
    Generally slashing is not really a thing a fighting knife is built for (IMHO).

USE it. pry with it. use it to ram it into a wall and climb on it. use it for throwing. It´s perfectly balanced. We usually carry it upside down on our shoulder rig on he weak hand shoulder.

Do things you would never do with a knife. It will survive.
    BUT: keep it lightly oiled at all times, for it is not rust proof.

9. Terry Newton

Terry Newton

This would lend credence to my opinion of the cheaper carbon steels being used, IMO.

10. Revvie

Revvie Austrian Glockr

finnish puukkos are also prone to rust, but have superb steel. I think the used steel is quite good for its purpose.

11. Terry Newton

Terry Newton

Revvie,

Please don't misunderstand. I should have used the word "inexpensive" instead of cheap.

Some of my favorite knives are made of the older, out of date, obsolete, "cheap," steels that no one wants to spend any money on.

If it works, it works. No matter what the steel. You have to go with whatever works for you. I can find no fault in that, even if it is different from my own decision.

BTW, I love Puukos. I have 2 Helle brand knives that I absolutely love.

12. W. Bell

W. Bell

Every knife has a use, quality and design considered,

Glock makes a good "stick and leave".

13. Hesparus

Hesparus

I am neither suprised nor dissapointed that Glock knives are carbon steel. Carbon steels are more durable than stainless steels (until you get to the really expensive ones) which is why Ka-Bar makes all of their blades out of 1095 with the exception of the "Next Generation" model they make in 440a (which is an inferior stainless steel, probably chosen because it is more durable than the higher carbon stainless steels). 5160, 52100, and 1095 are consitered three of the best steels for their toughness, hardness, and edge retention. The only thing they don't do as well as stainless steels is resist corrosion. With care, however, they will not rust unless they are exposed to huge ammounts of salt water. It is for these reasons that most military knives are made in carbon steels, to say nothing of their lower cost.

- Chris

14. MikeG23

MikeG23

Hey man do you have a picture of this? I don't see a seam anywhere on the tail cap and I don't want to start poking it with the pliers. ;g

15. Revvie

Revvie Austrian Glockr

Here are two pics. They are crappy, but i only got my cellphone at hand to shoot them.

I don´t know if it´s worth it, for the compartment is only about 4 cm deep and 1 cm in diameter.

16. Revvie

Revvie Austrian Glockr

and the second one.
    Isimply pried it open with my MT Amphibian.

17. MikeG23

MikeG23

Thanks, I'll have to try it when I get home.:)

18. MikeG23

MikeG23

Okay I know it has been several days, but I finally tried it and man your right about the space being small.:)

19. gordonfactor

gordonfactor

I have the model 81 with the saw teeth, black finish. I love that knife. It gets the most use of all my knives except my CRKT Mo' Skeeter pocket knife. I also have a Ka-Bar original style field/fighting knife, Air Force pilot survival knife, and a SEAL diver's knife, USN Mk3 Mod 0 stamped on blade. The Glock 81 is always on my belt when I go outside to do some yard work.

I'd like to know, how much did you pay for yours? I paid $30 brand new, thought it was a steal. Also, what have you cut with the saw teeth? I haven't put much use on mine and was wondering what is was capable of.

Enjoy the blades and keep on Glockin'!