Glock knife VS Cold Steel knife

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by betyourlife, Sep 25, 2007.

1. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

I know this would be better off in the knife forum, but I am looking for quick answers so I can bid on a soon ending ebay item! :)

I have a GLOCK knife and love the sheath and saw back, tough as nails, but not that sharp and sharpening it don't make it better. Plus side is that the tip wont seem to break and they designed it that way on purpose.

Cold steel knives are razor sharp and easily resharpen to like new condition. I was looking at the bushman and GI tanto. This will be a survival knife and a fighter as a last resort.

http://www.coldsteel.com/80ft.html

2. Gonetodarkside

Gonetodarkside owl protector

i have a cold steel voyager..

good inexpensive knife, finish is the weak point..

i carry it every day, if i got another folder it would be a spyderco, with weight being the difference.

3. El Duderino

El Duderino Go Gators!

The Glock knife is a decent beater but the Bushman wins on points for simplicity, price and features like the ability to affix it to a pole. It's just one solid piece of steel, the ultimate in KISS.

4. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

I just bought one the other day and am planning on making it part of my daily carry.

5. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

Yep. The only thing I don't like about the bushman is the lack of a quilion or guard to protect my fingers. No real grip though the nice thing is the grip is round as opposed to flat like the GI Tanto.

6. keltic

keltic

7. Maiden71

Maiden71 Metal Member

Almost all Cold Steel knives are junk. I have a Voyager and I wouldn't trust stabbing a man made of cotton with it. The lock on it is just plain worthless. Not to mention they still use AUS8 steel for the blade. I'd highly recommend that you get a much better made knife from either Spyderco or Benchmade. ;)

8. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

What is wrong with AUS8 steel? THey hold an edge very well and sharpen back to razor sharpness within minutes. I like them better than even the 200+ dollar lone wolf knives I have had. Their locks remain tight and there is no play over time unlike all others I have tried.

9. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

What's with the ring closing lock?? That is lame..

10. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

That's not true. Take a look at their web site. Most of the Cold Steel folders are made from VG-1 stainless steel, including all of the knives in the Voyager series.

I don't know why everybody rags on Cold Steel so much. A lot of people really LOVE to HATE them. Why???

11. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

They changed from aus8 to VG1 not too long ago. But I love their knives and their DVD's are proof of what they are capable of. If they hate then let em hate and watch my money pile up;)

12. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

Did you read the words on that page? It explains that in South Africa, that is a traditional or popular knife design. They decided they could build a quality knife like that, that was better than how the natives do it, for a small price tag. And I bet they sell a lot of them down there too!

13. 9jeeps

9jeeps Avatars, no mas

I have several Voyagers and use them hard daily. Never had em fail. For several years now. I call BS on Emann. Flat out

:shocked:

14. Uncle Mark

Uncle Mark Bitter American

For the price, ya can't beat the bushman. It's really versatile. I've got both the Bushman and Recon Tanto and can't complain about either. For a everyday carry pocket knife, I've carried a 5" Voyager for over 7 years and have abused it to death. I've used it for a pry bar, hammer, punch, scraper, throwing knife, etc. It's kinda like a Glock because it's not too purty but very functional and indestructible. It's also not the lightest pocket knife but I really got my money's worth outta it. I never feel totally unarmed when I carry it which is all of the time.

15. Chaos

Chaos S.n.a.f.u.

Hmm...interesting. Didn't know that Cold Steel had copied our Okapi knife: http://www.okapi-knives.com/03-pocket-knives/pknives.htm

Yeah, these are pretty common here in SA, although mainly as a dirt cheap pocket knife that you don't care if you lose.
    Blades are high carbon steel, and take a good edge. Very similar to the Opinel knives...ugly as sin, but they work and are sharp.
    I don't see the Okapi's for sale much anymore though, probably because they are sold in cheap Indian flea-market type stalls or in city junk shops.
    They have always been the choice of the criminal inner city trash, and the one I have at home, I confiscated from a street trash drunked woman who was trying to use it on an equally inebriated street trash woman.

It's the type of knife you take with you when you go hunting...give to the skinners to use, and let them keep it afterwards.
    Lynn Thompson has spent quite a bit of time here in SA, so I guess he got the idea to copy it on one of his trips.

Btw..choose the CS over the Glock knife. It is better in almost every way.

Chaos

16. Leigh

Leigh

Perhaps because they have always been overrated by Lynn Thpmpson's marketing hype and now the MAJORITY of their knives are products of China.

17. meshmdz

meshmdz OBAMA 2012

Cold Steel = cheaply made, mall ninja-esque JUNK. You get what you pay for.

If you want a good knife, look at Microtech, Chris Reeve, Strider, Swamp Rat, Busse, or Spyderco

18. tshadow6

tshadow6

I'm calling out all those who claim Cold Steel is junk. I own several of their knives and they are all FIRST RATE! My son broke the tip of his Cold Steel Ti-Lite and they replaced the knife for free. Before anyone says "junk", the broken tip was his fault. I've carried a large tanto voyager for several years now, with no complaints. Cold Steel makes a high quality knife at affordable prices. No, not all of their knives are made with the highest tech steel, they don't have to be. A knife is a tool, not a work of art. Good quality steel, easy to sharpen, affordable. I love the 8 CS knives I have.

19. Maiden71

Maiden71 Metal Member

20. D25

D25 The Quick

Cold Steel= Extreme Shock Ammo of the knife world.