close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock Kabooms...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by table, Jul 22, 2011.

1. table

table

so i haven't heard anything about this happening in a while. it seemed to happen with the 40s&w caliber and the Gen 2s i believe. has the design of Glocks barrels/feed ramps fixed this problem. i'd heard it was due to an unsupported feed ramp? a lot of people also blamed the ammo. i remember last year and prior if anyone mentioned shooting reloads thru their Glocks they were bombarded with posts saying not to and Glock didn't recommend it and void warranty... but i believe all gun manufacturers say this for legal reasons. now it seems a lot more people have tried shooting reloads and it has not become an issue. the reason i ask is not to start a long drawn out argumentative post but i was thinking of getting a 23 and shooting a lot of reloads thru it. i was thinking of getting the 23 in Gen 4. has anyone shot both Gen 3 and 4 in the 23 model? how is felt recoil between the two any positive info would be great. thanks.

2. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

I have never had a problem with my G23 gen 3 or known anyone who has.

3. voyager4520

voyager4520

The Glock 22 was actually the first .40SW pistol, they beat S&W to the market by a small amount of time(don't remember how long). The early .40SW cartridges had much thinner walls, but the same pressure levels. If I remember correctly Federal's had the thinnest walls. The cartridge wall was made thicker later on.

I'd attribute it to a combination of the infancy of the cartridge and Glock's loose chamber with shorter, less supported feed ramp.

You've got to remember too, at first Winchester was the only company making .40SW, it was pretty pricey and somewhat scarcely available. That led people to reload it as much as possible.

I have a Gen3 G23 test-fired in 04 and a Gen3 G27 test-fired in 09, I haven't had a "kaboom" in a little over 3,000 rounds. Glock has increased chamber support over the years though. The new grey-coated barrels will have the most chamber/feed ramp support, at least in .40.

If you plan to shoot reloads, don't shoot unjacketed lead through the factory barrel. The factory barrel has polygonal rifling which will lead up pretty quickly and increase pressure levels. If you plan to shoot unjacketed lead buy an aftermarket barrel with conventional rifling.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  4. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

The trolls who usually post about it got tired. A glock has never been more likely to kaboom than any other gun. If you want to see some serious kabooms, start shooting revolvers.

5. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Not glock specific. With a double charged round, guns suffer catastrophic failures. Not specific to a specific manufacturer or caliber. There never was a pandemic "glock KB" problem, except in the annals of internet rumour.

6. jay-bird

jay-bird goin' broke

I saw a KB with a Colt 1911. Guy accidentally loaded and shot a double charged reload. The custom wood grips both blew out, the mag shot out the bottom. No fingers were lost.

7. Gokyo

Gokyo

Yeah i was shooting ultra hot 22LR in my 22 Mag cylinder and the darn thing Kaboom.

Single Sixes are just not safe.

8. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Guns do not cause KB's. Only bad ammo does. And all guns will KB from bad ammo. Not sure where you get your info from....

9. ronin.45

ronin.45

All the KBs I've seen have been ammo related. Either double loads or squib followed by live round. I've only witnessed 1 in a Glock several in revolvers and 1911s though.

10. shadow65

shadow65

I've carried a Glock 22, G23, G27 for several years on and off duty. Never had a "kaboom" or seen one on 2 different departments that also carried .40 Glocks.
    Dave

11. gator378

gator378 Gator378

Been shooting handloads in a 44 Mag since 1970 and never a kaboom, and I load to factory specs, very few reduced loads.

12. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

My Glocks Kaboom all the time. I reload, and do it all over again.

:supergrin:

13. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

I've put around 5,000 rounds through a Gen 3 23 (95%+ reloads) and am at about 1,500 though a Gen 4 23 (100% reloads) and never a single issue. I do believe the felt recoil to be a bit less on the Gen 4.

(All reloads have been FMJ.)

14. barstoolguru

barstoolguru texas proud

KB's happen in glock 40 cal more because of the tolerances of the chamber. Put a 40 cal in a chamber and it is quite lose. This allows the gun to be less finicky when digesting different mfg's ammo.

KB's happen when the case of the bullet is not supported by the chamber. This is why glock does not support using lead bullets or reloads. Lead build up in the forcing cone will not let the bullet seat leaving the case unsupported and with hand loads the cases get weak and the weakest point is the loading ramp thus when the case ruptures it blows downward into the trigger. Glock has stepped and tightened the tolerances but some like an aftermarket barrel for this reason

15. scattershot

scattershot

has anyone shot both Gen 3 and 4 in the 23 model? how is felt recoil between the two any positive info would be great. thanks.[/QUOTE]

I have a Gen 4 Glock 22, and my buddy has a Gen 3. There is a little more felt recoil with the Gen 3, IMO, but a minimal amount. Certainly nothing objectionable.

I just bought a Gen 4 G23, too, and will be taking it to the range today for the first time.

16. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Gunpowder has improved so velocities can stay the same with less chamber pressure. Glock did improve the chamber support of the 40 S&W models around the change from shiny silver polished feed ramps to black feed ramps on Glock barrels.

One of the biggest changes in 40 S&W ammo was due to Federal 40 S&W ammo. The cases specs supplied to SAAMI for 40 S&W by Winchester and S&W call for a very thin case to maximize powder capacity. The original cartridge used a 180 grain JHP bullet and was one of the first cartridges designed for hollow point bullets. Federal was one of the first companies to load 155 grain grain bullets in 40 S&W. The firearm makers found that a generous chamber was required to reliably feed 40 S&W and Glock chambers on the maximum side of dimensions. The Federal 40 S&W cases had the right thickness but were the weakest on the market. (Side note: the Federal 155 gran HS was the shortest and had feed problems in many pistols, FN designed the Hi Power to feed it) Combining the large Glock chamber with the weak Federal case resulted in many kabooms. In response, Federal beefed up their cases to be the thickest on the market. The other American ammo companies soon followed and made their 40 S&W cases thicker than called for by SAAMI specs. For a long time Glock said there was nothing wrong with their chambers but fired cases from early Glocks came out looking ugly. With more 40 S&W and Glocks becoming popular, Glock finally decided to improve chamber support over the earlier barrels.

So these days it's not just that the newer Glocks have better chamber support but the cases are stronger and the powders are better.

17. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

not sure which kaboom's you are referencing, but there were a few cases w/ with G21 barrels blowing up, but i think that was more from shooting lead bullets more than anything. I'm sure a lot of people are going to jump my *** and say you can shoot all the lead bullets you want. I'm not going to argue that people have shot lead bullets w/o problems, but the shallower grooves in Glock barrels lets the lead build up a lot faster than most traditional barrels.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  18. 21Carrier

21Carrier Until I Gota 29

Glocks are fine. They are all safe. I have nearly 13,000 reloaded rounds through my G21SF and G29 without an issue. As long as you use safe reloading practices, you are fine. As others have said, a Glock is no more likely to blow up than another gun with double-charged ammo. A double-charged case is basically a bomb. It will blow up regardless of the gun. It is not the Glock that is blowing up, and it's not because of the Glock. It is ONLY the case that is exploding, and it's ONLY because of the over-charge. The gun gets damaged, but again, it's not the gun's fault.

19. seancares

seancares

there is nothing inherently wrong with a glock that would cause a kaboom

only 5 ways i know of your gun can KB:

1. a round loaded too hot
    2. bullet setback causing detonation
    3. incorrect caliber
    4. underloaded ammo causing the bullet to stay in the barrel and then shooting another round
    5. using leaded rounds, getting your barrel gunked up then switching to jacketed rounds

all of these are ammo related and not the guns fault. these will also KB any other gun on the market. the whole 'unsupported chamber' is just nonsense propoganda spread around by people who dont want to admit that they ruined their glock with a hot load.

20. Magicmanmb

Magicmanmb RIP BUDDY

The first one that beefed up the slide and did a fully supported case head was Taurus. The PT101 I had stood up to +p+ pressures with out a problem.
    BTW the box was mismarked from a reloading company. Basically exceeded specs by twice as much powder over a 165 gr bullet.