close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

glock is one of the best but not "perfection"

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by SeanK, May 7, 2004.

1. SeanK

SeanK

Now that I’ve had my glock 22 for awhile and put about 500rds though it, their are two items on the glock that I cant and don't understand why they haven’t changed them. If they where changed, and they are so easy to change, glock's would truely be perfect out of the box...

2 things I can't stand about stock glocks: sites, trigger.

Pistol shooting 101, almost all your concentration should be on the front site. How am I supposed to concentrate on a front site dot that’s very small, and with all that white outline in the back, I just cant, my eyes will not adjust. Why doesn’t glock switch to the industry standard, bigger front dot, two smaller rear dots, your eyes instantly go to the front site where their supposed to be ??????

The trigger, I have to say that I think that the stock 5.5 pound trigger is the worst trigger I’ve ever pulled on a gun. To me it has a very mushy, extremely inconsistent feel. Starts off very light, half way though it you feel it get noticeably heavier as safeties are disengaged, at the end very sudden it gets heavy again.

I thought to myself, glock designed the trigger and pistol for easy transition from revolver to pistol. When I picked up a 38 revolver, and pulled the trigger, wow nothing like a glock. First from start to finish, very consistent, it was heavy when I just started to pull, same weight in the middle, and it ended with the same trigger weight. And of course couldn’t feel any safeties clicking off.

Sites, easy to fix, I will just buy some after market 3 dots, but this is what should be on the gun in the first place.

Trigger I need help with I’m down too these 3 configs:

8 pound trigger bar: don't think it will be a good choice.

Keep 5.5 pound bar, add New York trigger spring. Heard very good things about this set up, end up with 8 pound but very consistent.

3.5 bar with New York spring: glockmeister makes is sound like this is the answer. Very consistent, no mushy feeling, don't feel safeties clicking off and a light 6 pound pull. Think this is what I’m going with. After reading the reviews of this set up i'm almost sold but figure i would post and see what you guys think:

http://glockmeister.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/201

If anyone has the above configurations please tell how you like/dislike.

2. kmichael

kmichael

The 3.5 connector with the ny spring is what I use
    and in my opinion a better trigger pull than
    the stock setup.

3. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

I like my factory sights. If I was using as CCW I would by night sights though. Trigger is great....although it is 3.5 on the G35.

4. Dandapani

Dandapani

Is this a mod an average joe can make or do I need to see a 'smith?

5. SeanK

SeanK

Hmmmm.... Not sure, Does anyone else know what it takes to install a new 3.5lb trigger bar???? I know for a fact that the New York trigger springs install in a half a second, they just snap right in. They also cost $3. If you are going to do this buy the 3.5lb bar and new York trigger sping (the green one, NOT the orange one) from www.topglock.com you will save about $5 over glockmeister.

6. c5367

c5367 Esq.

Installing a 3.5 connector takes about 5 min tops. All you need is a Glock disassembly tool or a small punch, and a working knowledge of how to take a Glock apart. After unloading, then visually and physically inspecting the chamber, field strip the weapon. Pop out the frame pins with the punch, then remove the locking block. Slide out the trigger bar and the trigger housing. The connector is on the side of the housing and slides out fairly easily. Sometimes a small flathead screwdriver will make this easier. slide in the new connector and reassamble. It really is that easy

7. cerberus

cerberus

A Glock is a Combat Gun you should leave the trigger alone. You want a target gun buy one.

8. TexanOutWest

TexanOutWest I'll Take Point

Contrary to what most folks deem to be the optimum trigger setup for a Glock, I did change both my G22 and G27 to the 3.5# connector and left the factory trigger spring intact. The reduction in break weight is minimal but noticable and, with proper practice, I believe is just as safe as the 5# break weight. I carry my G27 daily and I'm not concerned about ND's or that mod coming back to bite me in the butt in the event of a shooting (God forbid). I think it all comes down to what you as the carrier are comfortable with, practice with and know how to properly handle.

As far as sights, I changed both of mine to Meprolight 3-dot greens. I'm not crazy about the factory sights, but they are an effective setup if that's what you have to work with.

Tex

9. SeanK

SeanK

Sorry guy, you don't have one clue on what we are talking about here. A 3.5lb trigger bar with a New York trigger spring together produces a trigger that needs 6.5lbs of pressure to pull. Its 1lb heavier then the standard 5.5lb stock bar that comes with the gun. Many would agree that the 5.5lb trigger has a mushy and very noticeable stacking feeling when pulling. 6.5lb set up combination produces a revolver like trigger that is smooth and starts and finishes with the same 6.5lb of pressure.... Very combat pistol to me. It’s also safer then the standard 5.5 because it’s much easier for you to know when the trigger breaks. We are talking about making the trigger a little heavier, which gives more smoothness and consistency. Keep in mind that this only adds one more part to the gun, and both the 3.5lb bar and New York spring are factory stock glock parts. This is the exact opposite of trying to make it target like.

I totally disagree with installing a 3.5lb trigger ALONE, it was never meant for combat, but for competition. You will also run into big legal problems if you ever have to use your glock to take someone down. You will also notice that glock will only ship the long slide competition models 35 with the 3.5lb.

10. cerberus

cerberus

Well I sure hope Glock is reading your post maybe they can learn something.;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z

11. cheygriz

cheygriz Venerable Elder

I repaced thec sights on my G-20 and G-21 with Trijicon night sights. My 17 and 22 still have the factory sights. I like the "U" shaped rear MUCH better than the two dots system. Again, personal preference. Since the 17 is a carry gun, it will soon be getting Express "Big Dot" night sights.

Trigger. I've insatlled the 3.5 lb connector in all 4 of my Glocks, WITHOUT the super-heavy NY trigger spring. (It doesn't take a Glock Armorer, even though I am one) I like this setup quite well. Too each his own!

12. cole

cole Millennium Member

Have 3-dot (metal) NS and would not go back. For defense, IMHO most any sight is fine for point-and-shoot. Our G17 is a range/target shooter and I just can't make the fatory setup work as well. Also, the slanted blade of the rear sight, the tiny/fat front sight and that the factory sights are plastic does not help.

13. Poohgyrr

Poohgyrr GEC #15 sheepsfoot

Beneath the old oak tree at Sutter's Fort
    Stock sights: I actually like the stock sight picture and would prefer steel front sights. Trijicons have always worked well for me, some folks like Mep's, and the name brand gunsmith night sights seem to work well too. A friend recently bought some off brand night sights (not the above or PT's) that needed filing to fit the stock slide of his 3rd gen G23.

Trigger: I know one guy with a fantastic trigger on his G23. He got it with a street connector (from a company now out of business) and an action job. This trigger has to be felt to be believed, it is that good. Otherwise, my best Glock trigger is an old NY1 spring in a gen 2 G24. My old Gen 2 G23 isn't bad, and a G35 & G27 I've been shooting both are definitely useable.

These pistols do work, but also have a "character" all their own.

;Y

14. DR. TRIJICON

DR. TRIJICON

i shoot my g23 with a stock trigger and trijicon sights and i enjoy it. i feel that everyone here has their own preference and it is up to you to determine how you want your gun set up. after all, it is you who are going to be the one to pull the trigger, so make it count.

15. c5367

c5367 Esq.

^6 Well said, Doc ^c

16. Ian111

Ian111

I don't buy Glocks because they're "perfect" but because I like them better than most others.

17. rotorhead

rotorhead

I bought my 27 at GanderMountain,it came with 3.5 trigger as marked on the case,which I didn't notice until I went to the range.Wouldn't trade for the 5.5(like my 23 has).;)

18. SDBettas

SDBettas

Trigger pull weight has ZERO bearing on whether you "get in trouble" for a shooting. I think the shooting itself would be deemed justified or not. Whether your trigger pull was 1lb or 12lbs. So if you guys are putting the harder trigger in your guns for this reason, then you are wasting your money

19. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

*QUOTE*
    I totally disagree with installing a 3.5lb trigger ALONE, it was never meant for combat, but for competition. You will also run into big legal problems if you ever have to use your glock to take someone down.

I guess I'm doomed, my Glock 23 has a measured 2 1/2lb trigger pull. I removed the trigger safety and filled in with 5 min epoxy.

Oh yah,I just remembered that G23 is my gun and I have the right to make any legal modifications to it I want to.

Oh JOY, not doomed after all.;a