close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock Instructor's Workshop AAR

Discussion in 'Tactics and Training' started by Mwinter, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Mwinter

Mwinter I'm MilkMan Dan

A search yielded very little so apologies if this has been covered previously.

I recently attended the Glock Instructor's Workshop, hosted at the Tarrant County College Range in Ft Worth TX. I was anticipating a relatively easy course based solely on some peripheral feedback I got a few years ago.

I was dead friggin wrong.

Background: Been a cop for the better part of 15yrs. Rangemaster at my agency for the last 5, and I am "that guy". Gearqueer, ammo knerd, gun nut. I've attended instructor's courses from NRA, TCLEOSE, and other places; end-user courses at TEES, TFTT, ATK, and others. I hadn't attended any live-fire pistol courses since 2009 however, and in the last year I've been focusing a lot more on my own physical fitness, and teaching Less-Lethal at my agency.

The range: a brand-new indoor facility, and it is fantastic. 50 and 100yd separate ranges, open-layout (no stalls), backstops rated to .50BMG, outstanding ventilation/climate control, and excellent classroom/amenity layout. Worth the time if your agency needs a place to train/qual.

The instructor: Evans was laidback, no-BS, very efficient, scary-good, and a gentleman. I've seen plenty of very proficient instructors who are weenie-waving alphas, and their attitudes do not impress me or enhance their value. This guy's experience and skill come through with no advertising necessary.

The course: listed as a "workshop", but there are objectives and standards to meet. Lots of info exchange and healthy competition between the instructor and students. 2.5 days, and there's a LOT of info, quals and drills crammed in there. The only course where I've shot more and pushed myself/been pushed harder was the TEES Hostage Rescue course. The course is listed as LE-only, and all the attendees were LE firearms instructors at their agencies. Our class was smaller than most, which made it more enjoyable for me. It's an excellent value, and a great bridge between state-board instructor courses and specialized shooting schools like Rogers, MISS, etc.

It is not all Glock-specific, but I think folks and agencies who are running Glocks will get the max benefit from it. Lots of moving, speed, holster, and accuracy drills. Hostage shots @ 10-15yds, compressed times, and useful work at even 50-100 yds (yes you read that correctly.) Contact and CQC stuff is done, but there is a good amount of 10-25yd work which really tests and hones accuracy and targeting skills. Almost everything is done with combinations of movement, weakhand/one-hand, cover, and obscured/reduced targets.

I consider myself a good instructor and very good pistol operator, but this course definitely challenged me, identified weaknesses in my personal training regimen, and fine-tuned my equipment, presentation, trigger control and movement.
    )Example: I'm lucky enough to live where I can shoot my .22LR conversion at a 8" steel target of my front porch (about 10-15yds), so I do a lot of that. It showed! At 10-15yds my accuracy and small-target work was great....but my up-close rapid-fire OMGWTF strings and 25-100yd work suffered. Stagnation is a bad thing.)

If you require any more incentive, yes we did get to run the G18. I'd fired one a few times before, but it's always enjoyable. I also laid some knowledge on the other folks there and let them run my G20/9x25 conversion. That thing is nassssty on an indoor range.

The only things I would added or added more of would be flashlight/low-light work, and work on steel targets.

Please feel free to PM me with any questions.

Aslan likes this.
  2. Deriffe

Deriffe

Thanks for this. I am attending in a couple of weeks. Should be interesting.

3. nitesite10mm

nitesite10mm Proud Husband

THREAD FROM THE DEAD

I went March 2017. Anybody who was there thru DEC 2016 and completed the course standard will find that those standards have been thrown out completely. They even tell you that if you have a course book <2017 to throw it away or burn it.

If you want to know what you will do now should you attend, set up a PM and we'll talk by phone. It is a gunfighters school. PACT Timer on each individual shooter, tremendous stress, 28% failure rate on final day with many going home with nothing to show other than verifying attendance.

I LOVED IT. But it was hard as heck and is not for everyone.

4. Melvin2145

Melvin2145

5. Melvin2145

Melvin2145

6. Melvin2145

Melvin2145

7. nitesite10mm

nitesite10mm Proud Husband

Okay sir. I will be off in a couple days for the weekend so I'll be in touch. :)

8. Melvin2145

Melvin2145

Thanks. Looking forward to it...