close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GLOCK, Inc. Press Release

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jel, Mar 25, 2004.

1. jel

jel

2. kf4zra

kf4zra I miss ya Murph

ill save yall some time:

GLOCK, Inc. has been made aware of two incidents involving the Portland Police Department in which two GLOCK Model 21 pistols were damaged while allegedly using Federal brand Classic HI-SHOK practice ammunition.

This will respond to an article dated March 4, 2004 in The Oregonian newspaper wherein Chief of Police, Derrick Foxworth, was quoted as stating “the bureau’s training division did further analysis and determined the explosions may have been caused by a defect in the weapon or a design problem.” GLOCK, Inc. absolutely disagrees with this unfounded conclusion and stands behind its Model 21 pistol, which has had an excellent service record since its introduction in 1991. It should be noted that the Portland Police Department has used the GLOCK Model 21 pistol for the past 12 years.

We have repeatedly asked the Portland Police Department to allow us to do technical examinations of the pistols and ammunition. As of the date of this Release, our requests have been denied. The Portland Police Department has only provided us with pictures of the damaged firearms. A review of these pictures appears to indicate a classic over-pressured ammunition problem.

Additionally, we contacted the Portland Police Department to schedule a meeting at our headquarters in Smyrna, Georgia at our expense to examine the pistols and ammunition. Thus far, the Portland Police Department has not agreed to this meeting.

Our products are manufactured under the highest standards and are submitted to rigorous testing before leaving the factory. GLOCK pistols have been adopted by thousands of military and law enforcement agencies throughout the world because of its excellent safety and reliability record.

For further information, please contact us at 770-432-1202.

GLOCK, Inc.

3. Poohgyrr

Poohgyrr GEC #15 sheepsfoot

Beneath the old oak tree at Sutter's Fort
    Thanks for the update.. ;c

4. Harlequin

Harlequin I need a weapon

The only reason Portland would deny Glock's request to look at the guns is if they know something fishy is going on. My answer would be "We won't replace the guns until we can look at the damaged ones."

5. noway

noway

It's funny how only the portland PD found this so-called design flaw and how many other depts across the nation are using the glcok 21 with no problems? ;Q

6. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

It's a lot funnier that I own two G21's and have fired tens of thousands of my reloads through them with no problems. There's nothing wrong with the G21's design.

7. don't tread on me

don't tread on me

Ever notice the amount of problems LE's have with guns, any guns???

8. vafish

vafish

We Americans always look for a gadget or hardware fix to a software problem. It's much easier to blame the gun, and get a bunch of money to replace the departments guns, than it is to say you have a training problem and go back and re-train all your officers.

9. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

It'd be naive to just accept the "facts" as they were reported by the Portland PD in their version of events. Could be they were not really using factory Federal ammo...might have been using commercial reloads, etc. Could be that they were using Federal ammo and, like several notable instances in the past, the Federal ammo was defective.

One thing's for sure: The design of the G21's had nothing to do with the catastrophic failures reported by the Portland PD. Only somebody truly ignorant about firearms mechanics and ordnance like Dean Spear would jump to such a silly conclusion!

10. Morris

Morris CLM

I take it then, that all of you have taken the time to read this thread?

Cop Talk G21 Thread - with real world input

Good folks who are actual users of the PPB guns have weighed in.

I am a g21 owner myself (looking for a second ;f ) but there is definitely more fact to the story. Glock is likely NOT the the culprit.