Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After researching a lot of different grip hump reduction methods I stumbled on a new one in the presses of going down the applied heat path. Perhaps it’s not new, but I have not seen it anywhere. At any rate, I wanted to share the results so far.

I started out by casting the magazine channel with epoxy, lots of release agent, and fingers crossed. Hornady one shot worked great. This casting is used to avoid deforming the channel when applying heat and pressure to the frame.

The rest of the process is simply to heat up the hump area of the frame and when it’s nice and soft, sticking it in a vise with pressure to flatten out the hump and let it cool and set in the vise.

This is the first time I test this method, so I do not know if it will slowly regain its original shape, or if there are any other problems. But so far so good. It has been a couple of months and a few hundred rounds. I have been to busy to get much shooting done but hope that will change soon. I will definitely report back with any developments.

Best.
Erik

Had problems adding pictures, but these links should work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/llqdkblrrgs84vt/IMG_5297.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kbs8mxibqovx639/IMG_5303.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n85ob9qahgkvcdv/IMG_5478.jpg?dl=0

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks rangerhgm,
This is the first time working on a Glock and I had made peace with possible ruining the frame up front, but I have to admit I was sweating. This "method" came about in a very haphazard way. I was trying to do the heat and displace plastic, but it wasn't working out to my liking at all. At the same time, I noticed how flexible the frame got when heated and how fast it froze back up when cooling. The vise was sitting right there and the idea just struck. I gave it a try and it worked (thus far).

·
Banned
1,882 Posts
I believe this is the same technique used by Bowie Tactical. And he's considered to be one of the best...if not the best. He doesn't do the fill and grind as so many others. Like you he heats and manipulates the polymer to shape without adding a filler. If I recall he has made mandrills that insert into the back channel for gun to gun consistency.

Nice work. You have much bigger balls than I.

Thankfully, for me the regular Glock grip contour is perfect for my big gorilla hands and long monkey fingers. On 1911's I use thick grips and an arched mainspring housing for the same reason.

·
MacGyver
8,244 Posts
I recall seeing a youtube video where some dude shaped his grip with a candle flame.

Why the epoxy casting? The stock mags are metal lined, and not enough heat to make the polymer sticky-- or if you are worried, coat the mag surface with silicone grease, or motor oil.

How did you heat it? Heatgun?

You could wrap the areas not being heated with wet towels and alum foil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
L
After researching a lot of different grip hump reduction methods I stumbled on a new one in the presses of going down the applied heat path. Perhaps it’s not new, but I have not seen it anywhere. At any rate, I wanted to share the results so far.

I started out by casting the magazine channel with epoxy, lots of release agent, and fingers crossed. Hornady one shot worked great. This casting is used to avoid deforming the channel when applying heat and pressure to the frame.

The rest of the process is simply to heat up the hump area of the frame and when it’s nice and soft, sticking it in a vise with pressure to flatten out the hump and let it cool and set in the vise.

This is the first time I test this method, so I do not know if it will slowly regain its original shape, or if there are any other problems. But so far so good. It has been a couple of months and a few hundred rounds. I have been to busy to get much shooting done but hope that will change soon. I will definitely report back with any developments.

Best.
Erik

Had problems adding pictures, but these links should work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/llqdkblrrgs84vt/IMG_5297.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kbs8mxibqovx639/IMG_5303.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n85ob9qahgkvcdv/IMG_5478.jpg?dl=0
Looks good! Just got a reduction back from ZEV and not impressed . Stipple hurts my hands, and although I requested flat backstrap, I still have a big hump. They are looking into it to see if their gunsmith missed the detail or if it was in fact done correctly . But I do not see it as being "flat" in any way. Not to mention I did it for sake of reduction and my purchase on the grip feels exactly the same. Congrats on a job well done...

·
MacGyver
8,244 Posts
One alternative to reducing the hump is increasing the concavity at the top.

I use the gripforce adapter on the gen 3 guns, and have cut down the beavertail for the gen4 to basically flatten the line of the backstrap. Saves any permanent modding of the grip.

Helps to have longer hands.

·
Registered
8 Posts
One alternative to reducing the hump is increasing the concavity at the top.

I use the gripforce adapter on the gen 3 guns, and have cut down the beavertail for the gen4 to basically flatten the line of the backstrap. Saves any permanent modding of the grip.

Helps to have longer hands.
Thanks....saw those online. But I have small hands so that would probably make it worse. Do the polymer 80 and lonewolf grips have smaller trigger reach?

·
NRA Life Member.
3,508 Posts
Because i am an idiot Jack Ryan. Thanks for the constructive comment....

Would you be interested in a tastefully modified Glock 17???
We all have our "learning moments". Just accept them for what they are and it suddenly seems like a pretty cheap lesson over all.

I think I'll pass but thanks for the opportunity.

·
MacGyver
8,244 Posts
h
L

Looks good! Just got a reduction back from ZEV and not impressed . Stipple hurts my hands, and although I requested flat backstrap, I still have a big hump. They are looking into it to see if their gunsmith missed the detail or if it was in fact done correctly . But I do not see it as being "flat" in any way. Not to mention I did it for sake of reduction and my purchase on the grip feels exactly the same. Congrats on a job well done...
Hopefully, they missed that on the work order and make it right for you. Do you have a picture of it?

·
MacGyver
8,244 Posts
That looks like they did it, sorry. It looks good.
If it is too rough, you can rub it with a smooth rock to mellow it out.

·
MacGyver
8,244 Posts
This is the effect of the Gripforce adapter. Cheap, easy, reversible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That looks like they did it, sorry. It looks good.
If it is too rough, you can rub it with a smooth rock to mellow it out.
Thanks for the heads up. My hands are a little chapped from some work I have been doing. I am sure stipple will be fine once its better. The backstrap is my concern. When they said "flat" backstrap, i was exoecting it more like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I recall seeing a youtube video where some dude shaped his grip with a candle flame.

Why the epoxy casting? The stock mags are metal lined, and not enough heat to make the polymer sticky-- or if you are worried, coat the mag surface with silicone grease, or motor oil.

How did you heat it? Heatgun?

You could wrap the areas not being heated with wet towels and alum foil.
Sorry for the delayed response @cciman,
I figured that the magazine would be just a little smaller than the actual channel whereas a casting would be identical.

Yes, I used a Heatgun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Why would any one buy a gun they feel like they need to do that to?
Hey @Jack Ryan
If I could find a gun that was perfect for me, I would buy that, but I have not come across one yet, and the process of learning and modifying things to be perfect for yourself is very stimulating and rewarding.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Do the polymer 80 and lonewolf grips have smaller trigger reach?
Indeed the P80 has no hump and no finger grooves which fits me perfect. I don’t have small hands but hate those two features on glock frames.

Some people compare the grip with a 1911 can’t comment on that since I’m a polymer gun guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts