Glock Talk banner

Glock holding back on mags?

5K views 25 replies 23 participants last post by  nostalgiaguy 
#1 ·
This might sound insane, but has anyone thought that Glock might be holding back on restocking mags to see what happens in Congress? Granted, the demand is extremely high, but you can't even find 10 or 9 round mags, and they are not even part of the possible AWB.

If they pass the restriction on mag capacity, Glock can release the mags at a much higher price knowing this is our last chance. If the high mag restriction does not get passed, they would be in a position to sell at or at least near the regular prices. Put yourself in their shoes. I have something in my possession that might be worth $30, or if this bill is passed,worth $100, which is what I have been seeing some mags go for. Wouldn't you might want to hesitate and see what happens? That would be a huge profit margin difference.

Just a thought.

#3 ·
I work at Gander Mountain. Gander is out of all 10+ round magazines, not just Glock magazines. The shortage is due to panic buyers.

#4 · (Edited)
A more likely scenario would be that for every pistol they produce they need two to three magazines to go with said pistol.
For their LE customers they most likely need Magazines to comply with what ever the contract specs. There are conspiracies but not everything is a conspiracy.
SJ 40

#6 · (Edited)
I agree with Leigh... Glock does not do business that way.

In fact, just before the 1994 ban, Glock offered 9mm & .40 mags for $10.40 & .45 mags (G21) for $12.00 direct from the factory. Store prices then were $25-$35 each. The limited it to 3 or 4 mags per customer (I forget). A couple of friends & I drove down to Smyrna (60 miles) & bought our limit. When the ban was lifted in 2004, prices on new mags hit rock bottom. I bought a bunch for an average of $15 each.

There has been a lot of price gouging going on over the years by dealers & maybe distributers, but not by Glock, Inc. to my knowledge.

#8 ·
Relatively speaking, Glock mags are actually in abundance compared to other mags. Yes panic buyers have wiped out all stock everywhere but Glock mags seem to be comic into stock way more frequently than other mags. Kudos to Glock on the job they're doing keeping up with demand!

#10 ·
Money is the great motivator. Glock will continue to sell whatever product they have in inventory that will make a reasonable profit.

They will try to sell any and all mags they have, and if a new law makes more than 10 rounds illegal, they will have sold as many of the "pre-law" they could, just to get them off the inventory.

If a new law passes, they will adjust their manufacturing to include compliance. You can bet they have already determined how to do this and have alerted their suppliers to possible modifications in the process, if it becomes necessary.

In the meantime, they will sell all and any they have, while it is still legal.

#11 ·
This is reassuring to hear such support for Glock. I have been an active shooter since discharge from the military in 1977, but did not get into Glocks until they came out with the Gen 4. The Gen 4 was finally a Glock that felt good in my small hands, and I love the new textured grips.

#13 ·
Do you have a crystal ball?

How on Earth do you know just what any new AWB would allow/ grandfather/ or how quickly it could take effect.

Simply by way of example...Virtually everyone thinks in terms of a 10 round magazine capacity...Then along comes New York state who says the new limit is....is...eh....SEVEN, yeah that's it seven rounds.

So...there goes your theory on Glock holding back on selling magazines.

If this were to happen, Glock would be sitting on untold thousands of useless magazines sitting in warehouses.

I simply don't see this as a reasonable theory.

#16 ·
Relatively speaking, Glock mags are actually in abundance compared to other mags. Yes panic buyers have wiped out all stock everywhere but Glock mags seem to be comic into stock way more frequently than other mags. Kudos to Glock on the job they're doing keeping up with demand!
Agree. The prices have gone up but they are still out there.

#19 ·
Was at the base exhange today and the gun counter manager said that Glock wasn't shipping mags to hardly anyone right now, the word he had was they were filling military LEO orders first before the civilian mags go out.
Military and LEO production always moves to the front of the line, it's nothing new, ammo manufacturers do the same thing. Glock hasn't stopped production of civilian mags, and won't be stopping it either.

#26 ·
Standing in front of the vendors tent at the table rock challenge last April looking at an unlimited bottomless boxes of every model factory mags Glock produces . I think to myself... " I need to get a few extras for 20 bucks each, This is a good deal" . So I did buy about 8 assorted ones I needed spares for.
Bottom line.... Does anyone have a time machine? I want to go back there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.