close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock Has a Buffalo Gun?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 10mmGuy, Jan 15, 2004.

1. 10mmGuy

10mmGuy

Yup! It's a 20 with a 6" Hunting Barrel loaded with 15rds of 220gr. Hardcast from Double Tap!

I think I can smell what the Glock is cookin', and it's a big fat juicy steak!!!

2. Tazz10m

Tazz10m Mod Aerator Moderator Millennium Member

And THERE ya have it! Sweet!!

3. Cowboy Kyle

Cowboy Kyle

thats amazing! Any info on shot placement, # of rounds, Or distance?

4. buffalo soldier

buffalo soldier

The facts speak for themselves! Nice going, enjoy them steaks,and you just might be my new hero.

Buffalo

5. Glock20man

Glock20man

Let's see them there .45acp. boys do that!! Well done. Details, we are all anxious for the details.

6. MCNETT

MCNETT Load Developer Lifetime Member

Congratulations! I think everyone needs some details!!! Bison killin' 10mm ;c
    -Mike

7. jem375

jem375 NRA Life Member

Glock20man...to compare a 45ACP to a 10MM is stupid and you know it..

8. Glock20man

Glock20man

9. Glock20man

Glock20man

10. lomfs24

lomfs24

A buffalo is a huge animal. I don't know if I would want to poke one with a handgun of any sort. But "Good Show" anyway! :) It's nice to know that if I encounter any buffalo in my hunting next year I can take him down if he charges.
    ;a

11. gibbons025

gibbons025

12. Cowboy Kyle

Cowboy Kyle

Please 10mmGuy!!! Must..Have..Info!! I'm dyin to Know!! Congrats on the Bison;W

13. ebigfish

ebigfish FinsUp! FinsUp!

Ditto this:

"Please 10mmGuy!!! Must..Have..Info!! I'm dyin to Know!!"

That's too much meat for anybody. tell you what... send me some; I'll pay the S&H!!! ;f

Go Fish.

14. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 SONS OF LIBERTY

I love buffalo burgers grilled with 7-pepper seasoning. Congrats. 10MM rules.;c

15. 10mmGuy

10mmGuy

Well, here we go. We were able to get up to about 40yds before I took my 1st shot. I may have been able to get a bit closer but hear me out. Before we went out for the hunt the rancher gave us a stern warning. He said that if the buffalo decides to charge he WILL kill us. We won't be paralized, or break some ribs, or even get severly injured. No if's and's or but's, he won't stop until either you or he are dead. Now the odds are probably 99/100 that he won't but you can imagine what's playing in the back of my mind while we are deciding on how close to get. Now these critters are big, I mean BIG! Were Talking 2000lbs of majestic American Bison! They know they are king in their native plains of North Dakota, and since the Smilodon's are all dead they are afraid of nothing.

So 40yds was about as close as I felt comfortable. I wanted my buddy/cameraman to have at least one shot with his .300 UltraMag if the beast decided to charge. For the first shot I actually waited until he was walking slightly away from me. I waited until his close leg moved forward and BANG, THWAK! The flat nosed 220gr hardcast thundered as it hit home. I followed up with a few more shots as he ran off. He ran about 100yds and turned to stare us down. I was starting to get nervous after a few tense moments until he trotted off again. We got up to him and after a few more shots he stopped and tetered as if he would fall and I thought he had had it. The strength of this animal amazed me as he tensed up and walked off again. By this time we had made our way back up to him. I knew it was only a matter of time, but to end it quickly I shot again. One more through the heart and then more as I broke his shoulder and brought him down. He was down and dead but with thought's of people getting killed by "dead Buffalo" running through my head I made sure to "pay the insurance". Ammo is cheap.

I'm lucky he dropped straight down when he died. There is no way we could have rolled him over for pictures. This is where the fun begins. Gutting a 2000lb Buffalo is something I won't rush off to do again. Were talkin' maxwads of guts! I'm glad I did it though, I'll never complain about gutting a deer again that's for sure!

My thoughts on how the hunt went? Pretty good. I think the 10mm did about as well as we can expect it to. The massive size of these animals requires a lot of time for them to bleed out. Even with heart/lung shots when using hard cast or FMJ bullets, that's what you've got. You don't have the massive tissue damage of a hollow point. You're looking at about a .40 hole to bleed out. The number of shots that I took is more a factor of me having the time to take them. I could have probably let him die after the first shot, but it would be irresponsible if I had the opportunity to take more. I'd do the same if I was hunting jack rabbits with a .50bmg.

Penetration I'm sure was adequite. I'll put up a pic of the heart (which was the size of a football) showing three holes through it. If your getting holes through the heart, I'm not sure how much more you can ask. I was also suprized to break the shoulder. The rancher was REALLY suprized!

This was a 7yr old bull and maybe the biggest thing ever taken with a 10mm. Would I recommend doing it again? I don't know, just be damn sure you know what you are getting yourself into. I've seen guys on TV whack 'em 5 times in the vitals with a 45-70 and still they won't drop.

Here's the pic of the Heart. It might be kinda gross if you have a weak stomach.

16. 10mmGuy

10mmGuy

Here's a pic of a few of the recovered bullets. They look almost like you could reload them again. Zero deformation.

17. ebigfish

ebigfish FinsUp! FinsUp!

WOW!!! What a hunt! thanks for the inside poop! Great pics too. I haven't had a chance to hunt with my G20 yet... think I'll start smaller and maybe work my way up to the 1 TON size. tell you what tho... It'll take a big dog to shoot over your high water mark!!!

fish

18. turbonatr

turbonatr Senior Member Millennium Member

How many total shots were fired into the animal?

19. Cowboy Kyle

Cowboy Kyle

Man that is too cool!! That heart looked like swiss cheese!;P Thanks for the great story and pics!;Y

20. VN350X10

VN350X10

Most Impressive....Mega congrats are in order.
    Lots of work, but very fine eating & well earned!

uncle albert