close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock Gunsmith in L.A?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by BlindBoyJoe, Jul 16, 2002.

1. BlindBoyJoe

BlindBoyJoe

Does anyone know and trusdt a good Glock Gunsmith in the L.A area? I am looking to have some work done and would like to go to some place that someone has had a good experience with!! Thanks!!;b

2. Uzzirider

Uzzirider

Didn't you know? Guns are not allowed in Los Angeles!
    What kind of work are you trying to get done?

3. BlindBoyJoe

BlindBoyJoe

I am looking to get some night sights installed and swapping out glock 19 and 30 triggers for 17 and 21. Not only that, I would just like to know of someone in the area that I can trust.

4. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Mtrclass is in the greater LA area.

5. Uzzirider

Uzzirider

Depending on your mechanical inclination, you can do all that with basic tools. Like i replied in your other post, there is no reason to buy new triggers. Buy yourself a dremel and carbide bur to carefully takes down the ridges, then finish it off with some fine grit sandpaper.
    The nightsights are a little tougher, and you have to be careful, but the rear one just sildes into that groove. It's a pretty tight fit. The front is cake, just a (3/16"?) nut on the inside of the slide.
    If you don't like the idea of doing it yourself, the guys at LAX range will do it for you if you're nice. Just don't ask that one tall guy who acts like a cocky jerk most of the time, think his name is Mike...
    Oh yeah, and don't trust anyone in LA.
    Good Luck!

6. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

BlindBoyJoe,

Dave from Dave Metal Works might be able to help you he's located in Covina. Here's the number(626) 859-0299. He's done work for me before and if memory serves me correctly Mtrclass has used him also.

7. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Uzz, rear night sites DO NOT slide into the dovetail. Meprolights, Trijicons and Heines are press fit and require a sight pusher for a proper installation.

The front sight needs to be thread locked with the proper sealant and have the correct amount of torque applied. Only the right amount of thread lock, or risk bursting the sight bubble.

Uzz, since you have done probably hundreds of installations, maybe you have somne other method not used by recognized gunsmiths, as you are guesing at the nut size... What size do you think the thread is? 5-40 or 4-40 or 3-56?

A Dremel and a carbide deburring tool for a Nylon 6 material... Perfect, after you cut right thru a couple of triggers on the first pass. Is this another secret gunsmith method? At the very most, 600 grit or Scothbrite to smooth the ridges.

8. Davis

Davis

If you are on the lower side of LA
    - in Orange County is Evan's Gunsmithing
    World
    He is solidly honest and excellent work.
    Evan got me into Glocks a long time ago.

http://www.egsw.com/home.htm

9. Uzzirider

Uzzirider

lol, you must be Mike! Sorry for the criticism earlier, but you really SHOULD work on your attitude while at work. Maybe walterga can get you some paxil?

Maybe you have an alien Glock, so I'll let your ignorant comments slide. My rearsight attachment point is a dovetail slot, so yes, the rear sight slides into the slot. Yes it requires a fair amount of force, so maybe thats why I said "it's a tight fit". Here's a pic of my horribly disfigured rearsight following its installation.

[​IMG]

The front sight is one of those six sided things we call hex screws, and yes, it's a 3/16". Thread size/pitch is irrelevant here, unless you were to discuss the attributes of the different threadlockers (which you didn't, and in doing so failed in your only opportunity to add something constructive to this post).
    As far as the trigger goes, I've never heard of "Scothbrite" before so I can't comment on how bad it probably will work. But my method works great, so you should STFU.
    *damn, let that one slip out*

Here's mine, and guess what? I did it with a carbide bur and it didn't cost me a thing!

[​IMG]

10. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

Uzzirider,

While some of your advice has merit you should have taken into account that the person who initiated the post was looking for a gunsmith and not advise on how to do it. It’s my honest opinion, that had you shown your work in the earlier response you might not have received the response that you did from 9x45.

Now in this particular thread, you mention that the rear sight just slides in to the rear dovetail that my fellow GT’er is a gross over simplification. In the twelve years that I have owned Glock’s, I have yet to find a rear sight that just slides in you normally use the Glock sight tool an after market ones like Glockmeisters or in a worse case scenario you would carefully tap it into the dovetail with a brass punch.

With regards to the Dremel tool and the carbide bur I would not recommend it use on a polymer part. I would use the ScotchBrite that’s mentioned in 9x45’s response. Here’s a link to one of many web retailers of the product http://acelapidary.com/newpage12.htm BTW, it’s made by company known as 3M they also make Post-Its and a plethora of other products they are listed on the NYSE and their stock symbol is MMM.

One final note, since when have guns not been allowed in Los Angeles? Because that’s breaking news to me and it will also be news to the retailer who sold me the firearm a couple of weeks ago and to the California Department of Justice since they approved the sale.

:cool:

11. Uzzirider

Uzzirider

lol, um, well you see that was a case of sarcasm. In America we sometimes say things that are not true in order to draw attention to certain issues that we would like to mock. Usually the audience (you) is able to perceive the falicy and derive a certain amount of amusement. Apparently in this case you were (correctly) unable to fathom that guns could be outlawed in LA, but you failed to complete the thought process. Your train (no, not "choo choo" train) of thought should have quickly reverted from, "No way!" to "He must be joking!"
    Does that make everything all nice and understandable?

12. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

I will be in the El Lay area for the next week, so if you need something done come by the Steel Challenge, in Piru.

matt

13. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

UZZrider,

It seems that after having had almost a month to digest my response you really don’t know what sarcasm is.

14. Uzzirider

Uzzirider

Good Morning kids,
    Todays English lesson will be about "Irony". Can anyone spell "Irony"? I R O N Y.....

15. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

"Todays English lesson ...."

You just offended ryucasta! Don't ask me how I know!

16. BlindBoyJoe

BlindBoyJoe

People, this is getting stupid!!! I just wanted to get some info on a glock gunsmith was in the L.A. area and the next thing you know people are fighting like kids. Can't we all just get along??;g

17. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

Blind: Somewhere in the midst of the pre-pubsecent squabbling is probably the point that Glocks, generally, don't require gunsmiths...only parts replacers, er, ah, make that armorers. Any part on a Glock that an armorer can replace, you can replace, if you you can read and follow simple instructions.

I've installed many sets of night sights on Glocks. I do own an Ed Brown (3/16") Glock front sight tool ($10) and an MGW Glock Rear Sight Tool. ($54)

18. Ian11

Ian11

This is an old thread but I noticed no one really came up with the answer you were looking for. For the record, King's Gunworks in Glendale (So. Cal) has a certified Glock armorer. Although knowing how to work on your Glock is a good thing there are some who prefer to have a "professional" work on it for one reason or another. Cheers.