close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock grip reduction & stippling question?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by bigguy1305, Jan 16, 2012.

1. bigguy1305

bigguy1305

Hi guys.
    I want to start a DIY project on my Glock 21. The thing is I have a few questions that I can't find on the net.

1. I see people using Dura-Coat for grip texturing. Can I use a different brand & if so what else you give me an aggressive feel?

2. Can I stipple epoxy? I haven't seen anybody doing this. Is it possible.

3. Where can I get the 50 min epoxy or will 30 min work? 30 min is the only one I have found around my parts

4. What works better Dura-Coat, Herculiner or Dura-Coat Armorer?

5. Whats the difference between spray on and sponge or brush on? Will there be a different texture even if it's the same product but different application.

6. I have the quarter, .5 inch & 1" tape, files & sand paper (220, 320, 600, 1000 & 2000). What else will I be needing besides this and the epoxy & play-do. I haven't gotten them yet.

7. Will this be possible in a day?

8. What size drill bit would I need to make the hole on the frame?

9. If I can stipple the epoxy can I spray, brush or sponge on (dura-coat, herculiner or what ever else is out there) and then stipple on top of that for some areas?

10. Out of all the gripping coats used and available out there, what are them and a list if possible from smooth-mild-aggressive.

Thanks for all yuor help on this guys. It will be very much appreciated.

2. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

I don't remember the exact specs from when I did it but you can stipple epoxy but I highly recommend doing it before you apply the finish. The epoxy will stipple a whitish color vs the black of the frame. I used a spray car undercoat and it worked out well... I don't have the gun where I am no so I can't send pics...

3. bigguy1305

bigguy1305

does it stipples as easily as the frame or is it harder to do?

4. 9L0ck

9L0ck

Why epoxy? Why not just do the frame?

5. bigguy1305

bigguy1305

because i want to do a grip reduction & some epoxy will be exposed and wanted to know if i can stipple it

6. TexasPOff

TexasPOff "Dump The Hump"

Not if you do it differently than the fill and grind method. :whistling: There won't be any epoxy showing. If you remold the backstrap, you won't have to texture the epoxy. TXPO

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  7. bigguy1305

bigguy1305

8. 9L0ck

9L0ck

What he said. Or better yet send it to him at coldbore custom. Have it done by one of the best here.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  9. bigguy1305

bigguy1305

here it is guys i'm half way there. i'll be getting in the mail the marine tex today but i'll put it on tomorrow. i still need a bit of more sanding in a few areas but the feel for me is way better than stock. so fare from what i have done its not so hard but i wouldn't recommend it to someone who never has work in some sort of hand craft or something like that because you do need a steady hand for this. i was a little scared at first because i've never done this but i have done stippling on my rifle and i've made 4 guitars. so when i got the hang of it i found it to be really easy for me.

i used marine epoxy and found the paint that matches the most to the texture of the frame it's rust-oleum textured black. when i went to home depot and looked at what they had i found a sample of this stuff and when i felt it i was amazed because it was the same thing as the frame i bought it on the spot and this is what i'll be using to finish curtain areas that the marine tex wont be covering.

i'll post more when i'm done.

View attachment 222199

View attachment 222200

View attachment 222201

10. bigguy1305

bigguy1305

alright guys as i promised. here is the final product. I do have to say it couldn't have felt any better than this. what a big difference in feel. i still haven't gone to the range so i can't say how it performs now. one thing i did notice, when i dry fire the striker makes a different sound than before. in a way it sounds like there is less echo to it. all in all the project went very well. it didn't take me the 48 hours that i wanted it to be but its ok.
    DSCN2505-1.jpg

11. TheBridge

TheBridge

Very nice!! I will be doing sometthing like this soon on a race gun project except I made the grip bigger. Great info also!

12. bigguy1305

bigguy1305

thanks i have to say it feels a hole lot better than factory. i love it!!

13. Genin

Genin 19k & 11b

Cool man. Final project looks pretty darn nice!