Glock Talk banner

Glock Grip Issue

1134 4
Hey all,

I tried finding a thread on this and couldn't seem to find one, but I'm sure this issue has been brought up before.

Recently I started getting into the more competitive style of shooting pistols and as I've been reading, practicing, and absorbing as much as I can from top shooters. Many resources point to having a high thumbs forward grip. Guys like Bob Vogel have a ridiculously high grip. When I shoot, this actually works great and I can see my sights tracking back to the target but my cadence is still slow.

My issue is that now with this new super high grip, my left thumb has been frequently causing the slide stop to actuate. I replaced the factory extended to the normal factory slide stop in hopes this would solve the issue, which it did not. Any tips on weak hand grip placement would be appreciated. Do you guys float the weak hand thumb or just move it further down the grip?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Heeled
564 Posts
"Do you guys float the weak hand thumb or just move it further down the grip?"

I tend to have my support thumb quite far forward.

Try rotating your left hand even further forward (in Vogel-esque fashion), then try rotating back just a bit so the slide stop has it's little wedge of space protected. I've only ever had this issue on my G43s, but it's just a matter of developing muscle memory for a grip that covers all the bases.

· Registered
1,199 Posts
Hey all,

I tried finding a thread on this and couldn't seem to find one, but I'm sure this issue has been brought up before.

Recently I started getting into the more competitive style of shooting pistols and as I've been reading, practicing, and absorbing as much as I can from top shooters. Many resources point to having a high thumbs forward grip. Guys like Bob Vogel have a ridiculously high grip. When I shoot, this actually works great and I can see my sights tracking back to the target but my cadence is still slow.

My issue is that now with this new super high grip, my left thumb has been frequently causing the slide stop to actuate. I replaced the factory extended to the normal factory slide stop in hopes this would solve the issue, which it did not. Any tips on weak hand grip placement would be appreciated. Do you guys float the weak hand thumb or just move it further down the grip?
I happen to like Bob Vogel's instruction methods. YMMV
Everyone has their own training instructions that work for them. ;)

You have probably seen this video by Bob Vogel:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=688tyvWxaYg

If you go to approximately 2:45 of the video he talks about the slide stop lever. Notice where he places his strong hand thumb and his weak hand thumb.

I had to practice grip placement until it became second nature. I place my weak hand thumb further down the grip then I used to.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I happen to like Bob Vogel's instruction methods. YMMV
Everyone has their own training instructions that work for them. ;)

You have probably seen this video by Bob Vogel:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=688tyvWxaYg

If you go to approximately 2:45 of the video he talks about the slide stop lever. Notice where he places his strong hand thumb and his weak hand thumb.

I had to practice grip placement until it became second nature. I place my weak hand thumb further down the grip then I used to.
Yes! This is what I needed I think. Thanks for sharing. There's a ton of Bob's videos on grip but this one addressed this issue directly. Welp, guess I need to get back to the range and try that out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.