close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock Grip Frame Dillemma

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by blackduck, Feb 29, 2004.

1. blackduck

blackduck

i currently have a G17 3rd generation, with internal guiderod lasermax and an M3 light affixed to the accessory rail . . i love this setup. my gun has an "E" prefix serial number . . i recently heard that there is a recall on this frame and that glock will swap it out for me . . .i heard that the rear slde rail guides on the frame have a tendency to break off thus the reason for the recall . . .just before i learned this . .i was considering a grip frame reduction . . .the G17 is just a bit of a reach for my short trigger finger . .i must cant my stronghand grip just a bit to fully get the 1st pad of my trigger finger centered on the trigger . . i'm pretty sure the Arizona, Robar or Burns frip reduction will make this gun finally fit me perfectly . . .now. . . with the spector of the frame problem . .i'm consideringg trading up to a glock in 45 acp or "GAP" . . .the ultimate thrust of my question now is this . . .if i get the biger framed glock, will the grip reduction be enough to permit this bigger frame to allow that 1st pad of my trigger finger to reach the trigger . .based upon my earlier description of my now necessary hold on the G17 described above . . .of course i realize the best way to tell is to handle a larger framed glock with the reduction performed . . .since this is not practical . . .can anyone please shed some light on this for me??????? . .if not . .i am faced with a double wait . . .to get the G17 frame from Glock and then ship it off for the reduction

2. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Could have been worse; you could have already modified the frame, and THEN found out about the recall. I think it happened to a few folks around here.

My input on your frame problem is: If you just GOTTA have a .45 caliber Glock, and the G17 frame is almost too big, then I'd say you're a good candidate for the G37 in .45 GAP. The G37 frame is almost the exact same size as the G17 (although the slide is thicker), where the G21 and G30 frames are considerably larger, both in grip diameter and trigger reach. The G36 is smaller AND thinner, but it's a subcompact; sounds like you want a full-size (or nearly full-size) weapon.

I would think anything in the way of grip reduction that could be done to a G17, could also be done to a G37.

That's my two cents...Good Luck!

3. blackduck

blackduck

Thanks for your reply DJ niner . . i didn't realize the G37 had a G17ish sized frame . . .i may however just keep the G17 and get the new frame from Glock . . .then have the grip reduc . i do wonder however if the G17 lasermax would fit the G37?

4. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

Not likely.

5. blackduck

blackduck

Well i handled the G37 at Lawmen Supply today near Egg Harbor NJ . .felt just like my G17 . . .if i don't get an Hk P7 . that would be my next choice . .slide release is kinda stiff . .clerk told me that all G37s have this anomoly