close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock Grip Angle

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by mrsurfboard, Jan 11, 2012.

1. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

Glock says their grip angle is the most natural and optimal for shooting. If this were true, wouldn't other manufacturers being using it as well?? In fact it seems the others go out of their way to copy the 1911 grip, which really is the optimal grip angle. The Glock angle is Gaston's preference, not the majority of shooters, based on the market.

2. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

So are you asking a question or telling us the answer?

Sounds like you already have your mind made up. :whistling:

3. mrsurfboard

Just an observation, nothing more. Seeing what other people think about it.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  4. mj9mm

mj9mm

suits me just fine, no problem with it:dunno:

5. glock_collector

glock_collector

DO NOT QUESTION GLOCK....a couple of blonde haired, blue eyed arian meatheads will show up on your door.Nobody will question your dissappearance...

6. 40frank

40frank

To each their own I guess. I like the Glock grip. I think the "hump" at the bottom helps me get a firmer grip. To answer your question, I can think of one popular firearms manufacturer that added a "hump" to their grip,(or reduced the area just under the beaver tail, which has the same effect at the bottom), to make it more ergonomic...Sig's E2. :tongueout: It could just be me but, the bottom of the grip with that pronounced hump seems a little Glockish to me.:whistling:

7. eclark53520

eclark53520

I don't feel much of a difference...

Shooting 1911's, sigs, hk's, rugers, smiths, springfields...etc....i don't notice the 'grip angle' differences at all.

Line up the friggin sights, depress all applicable safeties, and pull the damn trigger. Some recoil more, some less, but the grip angle is not something I've ever noticed. Shooting 'high' or 'low' has a lot more to do with being a 6 oclock hold or not...

8. mrsurfboard

The hump is not the same thing as the Glock grip angle. Mil spec 1911 have a humped MSH, but the angle is not the same as Glocks. Glocks were modeled after Lugers.

9. 40frank

40frank

Woops....:embarassed: I just looked at my post again. For some reason the entire first paragraph is not there. I don't know what happened. Instead of re-typing it, I'll just say that Glock's grip angle really works and feels natural for me.

10. BailRecoveryAgent

BailRecoveryAgent Rude Member

I don't really dislike the glock grip angle or hump, but after shooting several other guns in the last month narrowing down the choice for my new carry gun I found that other grip profiles seem to fell more natural in my hands while shooting them, which is more important than just how it feels while holding it.

I went with a new SIG. Didn't think I'd like a DA/SA trigger, but turns out I do.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

11. Serafino

Serafino

There is a 1940's US Army training film on the 1911 in which they clearly state that the 1911 has an unnatural grip angle and people have to be trained to overcome this and get used to it.

Glock sales are just fine, so the "market" for its grip angle is more than enough justification for their design.

12. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

They added the 1911 arched mainspring housing prior to WW II to correct the terrible straight grip angle. Still not perfect, but better than the flat housing that causes you to have to rock your fist waaay back, thereby losing some recoil control.

Hold a pencil (or a ruler, stick, etc.) straight up and down in your fist, with all the fingers and thumb around it. Now, without moving anything else, point your index finger at something stright in front of you, sop there is a flat (as possible) line from your finger tip, along the top of your arm, to your sholder, and see what happens to the angle of the pencil. That's what a perfect grip angle would look like - one that doesn't cause you to rock back at the wrist and lose your strength and recoil control.

Now take a look at a Luger, or a Ruger or Walther .22 target pistol or a Browning Hi Power. the flat back of a 1911 makes the grip safety more reliable, but doesn't do anything for shooting unless that's the onnly way you've learned to shoot.

If all we cared about was accuracy and control, not feeding, reloadng, drawing or carrying, we'd have a grip angle like this:
    [​IMG]
    The straighter grip on our psitols is not to make the gun shoot better - it's to make it feed better and take up less space, primarily.

13. TedG

TedG Infidel USA

With the gazillion Glocks sold and being sold, the "market" must find the grip angle to fit their needs and/or liking. Google the Remington 51 pistol. It was a .380 with a grip angle that Remington supposedly tested thousands of hands to get it just right.

http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/Rem51/rem51.html

If you don't like the grip angle, or how it feels... buy something else. I think your avatar says it all. :whistling:

14. 3/4Flap

3/4Flap

Look, a pistol has to have a grip angle.

Saying yours is the best comes natural.

BTW, I like it.

15. mrsurfboard

How silly and knew I would get a few of these responses. Glocks sell well because they are reliable and cheap, not because of the grip.

16. 3/4Flap

3/4Flap

Not so fast.

If the Glock had an abominably uncomfortable grip, I'll go so far as to say for sure it would effect sales to the negative.

So the grip must be "palatable" to the masses, meaning, pretty good overall.

17. NDcent

NDcent Socially Inept

I'd like to try one of those if I could find a front pocket holster to fit. :supergrin:

18. whitebread

whitebread ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I like the grip angle. I have sold 1911's because I couldn't get use to the grip angle. It might be because my first handgun was a Glock?

19. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

I don't think Glocks have the most comfortable grip angle for a new shooter but I do think it helps absorb recoil and allows for faster follow-ups. YMMV.

20. Serafino

Serafino

The point is, the grip angle works. They don't have to sell "because" of the grip, the grip just has to not be a problem for most--which is clearly the case.