Glock 19 glock gen 5 won't chamber once in a while

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by glockobscura, Aug 27, 2019.

1. glockobscura

glockobscura

So I got a new Glock 19 gen 5. Every once in a while it won't chamber a round when I insert a mag with the slide locked back. This has happened two or three times. I have shot the gun a couple of hundred times and it has performed perfectly. I think the reason why it won't chamber a round is that I haven't inserted the mag in all the way or perhaps I am not pulling the slide hard enough back. When I am consciously inserting the mag with enough force I never have any problems and obviously pulling the slide back hard. So can you let me know if this is probably the case. I haven't had this problem with at glock 19 gen 3 and glock 26 gen 4. Perhaps a gen 5 is a little more sensitive.

2. hawki18

hawki18

The OAL for the G5 19 is shorter that Gen 3 and 4 so some round do not want to load. Have some reman 9mm 147 hollow point they chamber fine in my 48 and 43 and p365. I am going to get 3rd party barrel for my g5 19.

3. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

Maybe your weakly racking the round and not pushing the slide back all the way. Does it also happen when you just drop the slide lock?

4. cciman

cciman MacGyver

Operating the gun requires focus and intensity. Sloppy operation will lead to sloppy function.

Yes mag needs to be properly locked in to work.
    Yes the slide needs to be cycled properly, that means pulled back fully and let go-- not EASED or interfered with going back...or use the slide release lever.

View: https://youtu.be/XSiOq_uvCmg

If neither of the above apply, then your ammo may be non-standard, but the above are the 2 main causes of your symptoms.

G19 fan likes this.
  5. L-2

L-2

I've had first round loading problems ONLY when using a 10-round G19 mag. My first round loading problem occurred in Gens 3, 4, & 5, not just Gen5.

I understand Glock now has a newer 2183-2 follower, but I've not yet tried it as a 10-round G19 mag is only a range mag for me (or ban location, should I decide to carry my G19Gen5 in such a place).

EDIT 8/28/19: I do have the 2183-2 follower (I thought I only had the old/original follower) and did a brief test. JHP rounds (Speed Gold Dot and a Federal HST) both would not chamber from slide lock back, if there was only one round in the mag. The rounds fed fine if there were 2 or 10 rounds loaded in the mag. I suppose if, for some reason, I was down to just one round, I'd have to chamber-load that last round (probably unlikely, but suppose it could happen).

Otherwise, Post#4 seems to have covered the issues. OP didn't mention what ammo or mags. Also, Glock's parts list indicates the latest regular 15-round mag should have a #6 follower now. The latest mag follower is usually a good idea to use.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  6. mickiratt

mickiratt

I could be mistaken, but I thought Glock reverted back to the original chamber specs for the Gen 5 models. I'm not sure when this happened or if it was just specifically the G19's.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

7. mickiratt

mickiratt

My Gen5 G26 magazines have the #7 follower. Until you mentioned it, I was unaware there was a difference.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

8. L-2

L-2

Thanks for that info. I didn't know a #7 9mm follower was the latest. A #7 9mm mag follower should be even better (or else Glock wouldn't have changed it from the #6). I've seen new followers take over a year before becoming available separately on Glock's parts list, even though a new follower was available in the latest batch of mags.

9. PennsWoods

PennsWoods

Either of the two options you mentioned could cause the problem. Make sure the mag is firmly seated every time and make sure you pull the slide all the way back and let it fly forward, and see if the problem persists. You might pick up some dummy rounds to test at home to see if those fixes solve your problem.

My 19 gen 5, serial BGFW... hasnt had any trouble. I've only used the original mags and a couple of Magpul 17 round mags, with HST, Fiochhi, Federal, Blazer, Magtech and S&B ammo (all brass FMJ except the HST).

10. Paul53

Paul53 You local friendly Skynet dealer

My early gen 4 19 does exactly the same. A bit of a slap to the magazines bottom fixes it every time. I've ruled out ammo and magazine as the cause, guess my gun's just a bit kinky.

11. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

Well, I'd take the barrel out and drop my favorite ammo in the chamber. All should fall in to the rim. If they do, you can scratch poor chamber specs off the list.

AdamRodgers likes this.
  12. poodleplumber

poodleplumber

That and the fact that you aren't having problems during firing makes me think it is your error. It is not a delicate instrument. It doesn't need to be abused, but you can do things firmly without hurting it. Put the mag in solidly. Rack the slide completely and let it go forward. Nothing you can do with your hands is more forceful that the stresses it gets when shooting. Don't baby the pistol and I bet you come out fine.

AdamRodgers and harold63 like this.
  13. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

Don't know if this is the OP's issue, but it's a point many don't realize or just refuse to accept.

AdamRodgers likes this.
  14. 9mmskng

9mmskng

You should be using the slide release lever, that's what it's for! Racking the slide's for those who know, no better. Learn the auto pistol, you'll have ZERO problems with your Glock.

15. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

There's a lot of fail in that post.

:eek:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    dmross11, GlockyQ, HALO51 and 6 others like this.
  16. Deadduck357

Deadduck357

Exactly wrong. While it's fine to use the slide STOP lever to chamber a round it is not the recommended way.

dmross11, HALO51, Turnkey7242 and 3 others like this.
  17. AdamRodgers

AdamRodgers "Facts matter, Feeling can lie" DocGKR

:headscratch:

HALO51 likes this.
  18. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

I think he's saying not to sling shot. Glock manual says sling shot or slide stop lever, but they don't know any better, either. YtoslingshotorslidestoplevertochamberaroundMMV

AdamRodgers likes this.
  19. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

If not for slingshot, how do you recommend chambering the first round on an empty pistol with a closed slide?

Yes, there’s the option of locking the slide open, inserting the full magazine and then hitting the slide release lever.

But just because it can be done that way, doesn’t make it the best (or even remotely sensible) way to do it.

20. AdamRodgers

AdamRodgers "Facts matter, Feeling can lie" DocGKR

It is automatic for me to slingshot the slide. Years and years of the same thing.

Islingshotmyslideallthetime... :D

Actually that sounds like a personal problem. :oops: