close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock G21 vs G21SF

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jerry b., Dec 31, 2009.

1. jerry b.

jerry b.

Hey guys, I am looking into getting a G21 to add to my my collection. I do not have a .45 so it is time to fill that gap. That being said, I have been able to get my hands around a G21 and it felt a little big for my hand though I would have no problem shooting it. How much of a difference is the G21SF compared to the standard G21 as for grip. Are they really close or is their a significant difference ? The reason why I ask is that in the gun shops around here you can find G21's with relative ease but I have not been able to find one G21SF to compare it with the G21.

2. S9Man

S9Man

I own a 21 & a 20SF. The 20SF feels a lot better in my hand. I have a large \ X-large hand. I've shot the 21 a fair amount, and had the 20SF out only once so far. I would get a SF if you can, it feels more like my 22 or 31 then my 21.

3. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

If the G21 grip feels 'big' to you, the G21SF grip will feel smaller, it won't feel quite as small as a G17 grip though. It really is best to get both in your hands for a direct comparison if you can, it's less than ideal to hold one and then later hold the other.

Here's the biggest difference:
    [​IMG]

4. greenlion

greenlion

The SF is significantly smaller than the regular G21. I have medium size hands, and could not comfortably operate the older G21. The G21SF fits me very well. I would try to get the version with the GLOCK rail and standard mag release if I were you.

5. BKG-22

BKG-22 Millennium Member

I would also suggest avoiding the picatinny rail if you plan to carry as a concealed weapon. I am contemplating the purchase of a G21SF and in my research I am seeing fewer options for leather. Specifically shoulder holsters. Would love to see the Galco Miami Classic II accomodate the pic rail.

6. The Pusherman

The Pusherman officer mcgee

change your font, my friend. that crap's hard to read lol :)

7. JonInWA

JonInWA

You might also want to consider the latest variation on the G21, the G21 SF with the RTF2 frame treatment (and the standard Glock rail, and the standard magazine release).

A SF G21 is still somewhat large, and the RTF 2 polymids will really assist in providing a non-slip grip without having to add any aftermarket treatments.

All that said, I'm very satisfied with my personal 3rd Gen G21, "big butt" and all. It indexes very nicely with me.

Best, Jon

8. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

The 21SF was still way too big for me (I have small hands). I could still shoot it effectively, but it feels like I'm holding onto a brick. Especially when compared to a S&W M&P or Springfield XD. I ended up going with the Glock 37 in 45 GAP

9. StudParker

StudParker

I agree completely. The measurements and pictures don't make it look like that big of a difference. But once in the hand it feels very different. Very happy with my SF, Glock rail, and standard release. Wouldn't change a thing.

10. jwc17

jwc17

I shot my friends 21 well, but it felt too big for me so I bought a 21SF. As much as I wanted to like it, it felt too big too so I sold it. I recommend renting one before buying if possible.

11. SawgrassRaven

SawgrassRaven

This is an interesting thread, as I was interested in the same.

Have there been any technical issues with the 21s in the SF configuration?

Thanks in advance!

:wavey:

12. azdick

azdick

I have a G21sf w/glock rail and ambi mag release. Tried a 21 & it was a tad too big for my hands -- I'm sure I could qualify with it, but.... Been there, done that with a Beretta 96 Inox. I could shoot it but it didn't feel right. The 21sf is good, but if I could have gotten a standard mag release, I would have done so. Others have had issues with the ambi, but the most annoying thing was that holsters generally don't like the ambi -- I have had instances where a strong pressure on the holster would drop the mag. I modified the holsters but was tempted to take a dremel to the right hand release. I got a 30sf as soon as they were available, and it's an even better hand fit but is more concealable.

13. Tx_Angus

Tx_Angus Wage Slave

Was watching Dangerous Drives on the Speed Channel. Show was about CHP between Barstow and Vegas (the CA part of I15). An officer was showing his arsenal, which included a Glock 21SF.

14. S. Kelly

S. Kelly

I liked the fit of the 3rd gen G21 a bit better than the 2nd gen G21, but the G21SF's perfect. I love mine and would love to be able to carry one on duty.

15. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

I like the bigger grips better, and I don't have the worlds largest hands either. First time I ever held a G20 I thought it was too big for me. But after getting used to it, no other gun feels as good in my hands. They all feel like their grip size was compromised so that women can hold them too, while the G20 & G21 feel like the idea was for it to be a man-hands-only gun. But still, there are women that shoot just fine with the big grips and like it.

16. xrmattaz

xrmattaz

I wear size 13.5 gloves, as I have huge mitts.

That said, I MUCH prefer my G21SF over my 2nd Generation G21. It just feels so right.

17. ImDaGlockinator!

ImDaGlockinator!

I am a 3rd gen G21 owner. At first I didn't like the grip,
    having come-from 1911's.
    They say that the SF has a smaller, more comfortable grip.
    However, I held a G1SF at the GunStore and to be honest,
    I couldn't tell the difference from my G21.
    After shooting my G21 on several occasions,
    I got used to the grip size and now have no problem with it.

18. Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman a.k.a. DaReaper

It's only a 3mm difference, all in the backstrap. But that 3mm make a world of difference. IMHO.

19. surety agent 1

surety agent 1 PaleHorseComing

I bought both in the past year, 21Sf with pic and standard rail. Kinda went crazy for a few months using my leo discount, I paid 480.00 out the door, I have girl hands and the 21SF made just enough difference for me to buy it. I measure a grip by touching my thumb to my middle finger while holding the gun, if I can cover my middle finger nail with my thumb even better, held both at the same time and could not even touch fingers with the standard 21But do yourself a BIG favor, dont get the pic rail model unless its a nightstand only gun, I searched for months and it is very difficult to find a high quality holster for the 21sf pic rail model, alot of gunshop guys will tell you it fits the same holster, but if it is a form fitted holster most will not! The pic rail is much wider than the standard glock rail, I loved the look of the pic rail but I sold it 2 months later, just to hard to find holster for it, and if you want a light holster for it with a pic rail let me know how easy that one is to find. If they have the 21SF RTF I will be getting one of those really soon, I love the grip on my 22 RTF, next buy will be the 23 RTF ! Hope this helps.:supergrin:

20. Pygmalian

Pygmalian

If the G21 feels a slight bit too big the SF will be the choice, was for me.
    [​IMG]