Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As your reading this, keep in mind I’m not a gun collector. Although I do own a few S&W revolvers that don’t see a lot of range time my guns are primarily tools that each serve a purpose. My first firearm purchases were Glocks and I really liked them for their intended purpose which was concealed carry and home defense. Later down the road I purchased a few higher end 1911’s and revolvers but I always knew they would be range guns and I would always trust my Glocks for my self defense purposes.

Then it happened, I came into possession of a Sig Sauer P220 Dark Elite. I loved the aesthetics and ergonomics of this gun. I hadn’t spent very much time on a DA/SA gun besides a few rentals, but I felt I could get used to it. I would take my Sig to the range with me along with my Glocks but felt after awhile that although my accuracy was decent, using two weapon systems was impeding my progress (jack of all trades master of none).

I came to the conclusion that I needed to choose one system to make as my primary self defense choice and the answer was obviously the Sig Sauer. It’s a better looking gun, felt better in the hand and it was kind of a pride of ownership type thing. So I sold my Glocks and took the money and invested in a P226 for cheaper 9mm practice time and a P239 to add to my permit.

After about a year I started becoming much more proficient with the Sig’s and the DA/SA system but I would notice that If I wasn’t at the range or taking a class a few times a month my skill set with the gun would diminish pretty quickly with the Sigs compared to the Glocks. Over the holidays this year I was travelling and spending time with family and didn’t shoot a gun for about 6 weeks. When I finally had some time I was literally all over the place with shot placement which was a real concern. I would have been able to pick up my Glock and still have had some pretty tight groups that I would have felt confident in. I also would have problems with my thumb riding the slide stop on the Sigs If I didn’t get enough time in.

The first time I really started missing my Glocks was when I wanted to detail strip my three Sig’s. What would have taken me an hour or so with a few Glock’s and their 34 or so parts turned into an entire afternoon with three Sig’s, and 80 something parts.

I fell victim to a visually pleasing gun which appealed to me more in aesthetics than it did function. That’s when it hit me that Glock’s real beauty was in their simplicity and design. For my intended purpose of the firearm it had everything I needed and more importantly nothing I didn’t.

So here I am full circle, I have sold my Sig’s and currently have a G26 and a G19 on my permit. In about two hours from now I will be completing the 9mm trifecta with a G17. I also had enough cash left over to splurge on a new TV for our bedroom!

Is the Glock design the best pistol one can buy? I doubt it. Does it excel at any one thing? Nope. What the Glock does do, at least for me, is it fills its role a self defense weapon exceptionally well. Easy to field and detail strip, low maintenance, simple trigger pull and reset, parts and magazine interchangeability and light weight for carrying.

So no more heavy first trigger pull and decocking for me, after more than a year of learning the system I see less and less need for it. This is of course not a Sig Sauer bashing as I would of ended up in the same spot had I of chose the HK or Beretta. They all make quality firearms, they just don’t make them for me.

If you actually read this whole post, kudos to you! This looks to be great forum and I look forward to learning more from all of you.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have Glocks, Sigs and a couple of other platforms but Glocks are simple and reliable. I rebuilt my G33 a couple of years ago and the parts were cheap and the process quick and easy to do. At work I'm not worried about falling in the mud with my G22 because it's easy to break down for cleaning, my boots will take longer to restore.

·
Registered
10,295 Posts
I've never had a desire for a "pretty" handgun. I don't see the point. The closest I come is my G20 is FDE and I just bought a G19 from the classifieds that's also FDE. That's just to break up the monotony of all my black Glocks, not because it's pretty, in fact some people think the FDE Glock makes is ugly. Whatever. Some day I'll probably get a G29 in OD Green for the same reason.

I've always liked the saying:

Show your friends your Kimber, show your enemies your Glock.

·
Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member
11,126 Posts
As your reading this, keep in mind I’m not a gun collector. Although I do own a few S&W revolvers that don’t see a lot of range time my guns are primarily tools that each serve a purpose. My first firearm purchases were Glocks and I really liked them for their intended purpose which was concealed carry and home defense. Later down the road I purchased a few higher end 1911’s and revolvers but I always knew they would be range guns and I would always trust my Glocks for my self defense purposes.

Then it happened, I came into possession of a Sig Sauer P220 Dark Elite. I loved the aesthetics and ergonomics of this gun. I hadn’t spent very much time on a DA/SA gun besides a few rentals, but I felt I could get used to it. I would take my Sig to the range with me along with my Glocks but felt after awhile that although my accuracy was decent, using two weapon systems was impeding my progress (jack of all trades master of none).

I came to the conclusion that I needed to choose one system to make as my primary self defense choice and the answer was obviously the Sig Sauer. It’s a better looking gun, felt better in the hand and it was kind of a pride of ownership type thing. So I sold my Glocks and took the money and invested in a P226 for cheaper 9mm practice time and a P239 to add to my permit.

After about a year I started becoming much more proficient with the Sig’s and the DA/SA system but I would notice that If I wasn’t at the range or taking a class a few times a month my skill set with the gun would diminish pretty quickly with the Sigs compared to the Glocks. Over the holidays this year I was travelling and spending time with family and didn’t shoot a gun for about 6 weeks. When I finally had some time I was literally all over the place with shot placement which was a real concern. I would have been able to pick up my Glock and still have had some pretty tight groups that I would have felt confident in. I also would have problems with my thumb riding the slide stop on the Sigs If I didn’t get enough time in.

The first time I really started missing my Glocks was when I wanted to detail strip my three Sig’s. What would have taken me an hour or so with a few Glock’s and their 34 or so parts turned into an entire afternoon with three Sig’s, and 80 something parts.

I fell victim to a visually pleasing gun which appealed to me more in aesthetics than it did function. That’s when it hit me that Glock’s real beauty was in their simplicity and design. For my intended purpose of the firearm it had everything I needed and more importantly nothing I didn’t.

So here I am full circle, I have sold my Sig’s and currently have a G26 and a G19 on my permit. In about two hours from now I will be completing the 9mm trifecta with a G17. I also had enough cash left over to splurge on a new TV for our bedroom!

Is the Glock design the best pistol one can buy? I doubt it. Does it excel at any one thing? Nope. What the Glock does do, at least for me, is it fills its role a self defense weapon exceptionally well. Easy to field and detail strip, low maintenance, simple trigger pull and reset, parts and magazine interchangeability and light weight for carrying.

So no more heavy first trigger pull and decocking for me, after more than a year of learning the system I see less and less need for it. This is of course not a Sig Sauer bashing as I would of ended up in the same spot had I of chose the HK or Beretta. They all make quality firearms, they just don’t make them for me.

If you actually read this whole post, kudos to you! This looks to be great forum and I look forward to learning more from all of you.
Very Good write up, it depicts accurately many topics and threads that exist right at this moment. Your thought process to your experience also should shed light on those that question so many things, I am smiling at this moment as others will respond and their replies are predictable, as well as posts previous to mine.

Welcome to GlockTalk.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I am not going to say one is better than the other. I will say that I have shot extensively a friend's Sig P239 in .40S&W. I have told the friend (Female) that she has a great gun but really really needs a lot of personal time with it. Her usual carry is a S&W snub revolver. I know she'll be familiar with the Sig's long first pull. However that great SRT (Short Reset Trigger) unless she practices with it, might become a problem. For me, I'll stick with my Glocks. (Though their striker P320 has some interest for me)

Reactions: Fox75

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Nice write up.

Though I do disagree with your statement that Glocks don't excel at one thing. I think they excel at being the best personal weapon. Not range toy, target gun, hunting gun. Personal weapon. There's nothing better (for me).

Are they perfect? Of course not. But I like mine! :)

I understand the lure that some other pistols have. For me a S&W Shorty 45 was it. Took me away from Glocks for a while. Fired the smallest group with a handgun with one of mine: all eight shots hide completely behind a US quarter from twenty yards. Would feed an empty case from the mag either by hand or during firing.

But the Glock finally snatched me back and I'm here to stay now.

Cat

·
I'm not retired
8,488 Posts
I did the Sig, EAA Witness, and 1911 thing. Though I like the 1911 the best for target shooting, I like the Glock for all the other stuff. I'm now at a stage where I'm looking at replacing some factory Glock sights on a few of mine to make them a little more target friendly. Probably sticking with Glocks from here on out.

·
NRA Member
4,550 Posts
Nice 1st post.....welcome to GT

I know some who hate Glocks and some who love them.....I also know some who have this love/hate attitude for other brands of guns......some people stick with one brand and others have a variety of brands in their arsenal.

Me.....I like Glocks although have a Ruger LCP I like for summer carry depending on my attire.

I don't particularly like change......if it's not broke, don't fix it......which is primarily my biggest reason for staying with a single brand.

I could give a flying fig about what a gun looks like.....to me it's a tool and when I decided to get my CCW I wanted a rugged gun that went bang every time I pulled the trigger and to me the 26 was perfect.

It wasn't until after I got the 26 that I realized how simply they're designed, how easy they are to clean/maintain and how customizable they are.

I've since added a 19 for night stand duty and recently a 34 for range duty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am not going to say one is better than the other. I will say that I have shot extensively a friend's Sig P239 in .40S&W. I have told the friend (Female) that she has a great gun but really really needs a lot of personal time with it. Her usual carry is a S&W snub revolver. I know she'll be familiar with the Sig's long first pull. However that great SRT (Short Reset Trigger) unless she practices with it, might become a problem. For me, I'll stick with my Glocks. (Though their striker P320 has some interest for me)[/QUOTE]

The P239 is a very well made handgun that never malfunctioned on me. Mine also had the SRT install which really helped take up a lot of reset. Most of the time with consistent practice I was pretty accurate with it but once in awhile that transition into the first S/A shot would send a flyer.
It was also a fairly heavy gun for a compact pistol.
P239 - 34oz loaded - 8+1 capacity = 3.7oz per round.
G26 - 26oz loaded - 10+1 capacity = 2.3oz per round.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
First off, Welcome!!!! :welcome:Very good post, and reflects why so many do the very thing you did. I like firearms in general, but continue to keep a Glock on tap for the same reasons, they're not pretty, but simplicity and reliability trumps pretty any day. Good Luck and good shooting! :supergrin:

Reactions: Mtnfolk75

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
I shot my first Glock (rental 23) in 08. I have had almost every handgun and when I shot my first rental Glock 23 I bought one the following Monday. At that time I had a dozen handguns. Now in 2015 I have 6 Glocks to fill every need and sold most of my other guns except a few j frames. I have yet to have a malfunction in any of them. Glocks are not pretty for sure and boringly reliable and simple to work on.
I would like to one day get another 1911 and a Sig but I will never regret what I sold and replaced with Glocks.

·
A Grouchy Old Half-Blind Fat Guy who limps .....
591 Posts
I went to Glocks in January 1990 with a Gen2 G19 that I traded an Essex/Colt 1911 for. Was my Duty Gun until May 1993 when the KCSO transitioned to Glocks department wide. I ended up with a Gen2 G23 that I carried until my rertirement in January 2001. My wife was an Extra-Help/Reserve deputy and carried my G19 from the transition until she resigned in January 1999.

I still own that Gen2 Glock 19 and have owned 9 other Glocks over the years, a Gen1 G17, a Gen2 G20, a Gen3 G22, a Gen3 G32, two Gen3 27's & three Gen3 26's. They have all gone down the road for other pistols except for the first G26, SWMBO stole that one and carries it in her Pistol Packin' Mama bag as her EDC.

I had several surgeries on my right hand and arm as a result of an on-duty injury, it was what forced me into retirement. Since the surgeries I have some scar tissue in my palm that makes it uncomfortable to shoot Glocks. I have recently been on the fence about having a grip modification and stipple finish applied to my G19, for the reasons you so eloquently stated in the OP. Glocks are simply a defensive tool and are really easy to maintain and carry.

I had scheduled a grip mod & stipple finish with a local gunsmith, but I just this past Friday received a Grip Adapter off FleaBay. It is made by Cytac and uses an extended rear pin to attach to the Glock pistol. The Cytac adapter has totally changed the way the G19 fits my hand, zero problems with scar tissue. I will try and get some rounds down range tomorrow to check it out, hopefully it will solve my problem and my Old Friend will again be my Primary EDC. I picked up a Ruger LCR in 9mm on Thursday, will shoot it tomorrow also.

Based on handling only, I think the LCR will work extremely well as my Secondary EDC. The LCR uses Moon-clips for extraction only & will headspace and shoot without the Moon-clip. My thought being I can reload it if need be from a Glock magazine. Hopefully the Gen2 G19 IWB with a spare magazine on the belt and the LCR in my strong side pocket in a Mika will work as my EDC set-up. I miss my OLD Friend & LOVE it when a plan comes together ...... ;o)

P.S. Welcome to Glocktalk, it is a Great forum.

Reactions: Fox75

·
A Grouchy Old Half-Blind Fat Guy who limps .....
591 Posts
Sorry for the delay in the range results with the G19 Grip adapter, life happens and sometimes gets in the way of solid plans ..... ;o) It has indeed totally changed the fit in my palm, shooting has confirmed that it was a positive addition. The 9mm LCR has also worked out as anticipated. For the last week I have been carrying the G19 at 4 o'clock in a Belly Band, the LCR in the right front pants pocket in a Mika with a spare magazine on the belt at 9 o'clock in a Glock Sport Pouch. It looks like I have again found the combination ...... ;o)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.