close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock full auto switch

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by aerochris, Jun 12, 2004.

1. aerochris

aerochris

I was looking at full auto switches today and trying to figure out how they work. I took the backing plate off of my G17. It looks like the full auto switches that are advertised hold the firing pin down when in full auto mode. Please excuse my ignorance on the internal workings of pistols but what keeps the gun from going off as soon as the switch in turned on? What keeps the gun from continuing to fire after you let up on the trigger? What makes the trigger come back up when you stop depressing it?

Maybe there is one answer for all of these questions, I really don't know. Does anyone know the length of that piece of metal that holds the firing pin down? Could someone give me a list of places that sell full auto switches?

This is very interesting stuff. I would appreciate any help you could give me.

Thank you,

Chris

2. dustindu4

dustindu4

Just pick up a catalog and buy one

;z

3. Jeff82

Jeff82 NRA Benefactor CLM

It would do you well to study the gun (and "action systems" for lack of a better term) more. Your "thesis" is misguided and off the mark. Study the gun. Know the gun. Be the gun.

Should you attempt to actually do anything like what you've stated/hinted at, you will be creating a hazardous situation.

Every single piece/part has it's reason for existing. You must fully understand each of them before thinking about changing anything. Engineers are paid big bucks to figure all of this out. Changing other's designs could be expensive, dangerous and/or illegal. Careful where you tread.

BTW, full auto fire is 98% a wasteful novelty and has very little practical application in the real world.

4. aerochris

aerochris

Thank you for the reply. I honestly wouldn't ever try to change the gun myself. I don't have the knowledge or the tools. I am however very interested in how the full auto system works. I didn't expect my speculations to be correct and that is why I have asked for insight on the subject. I will definitely look at the gun more and would appreciate any help or descriptions any of you could give.

Thank you
    Chris

5. Quack

Quack Rent this space

here's the LINK to the patent

6. aerochris

aerochris

So does number 102 sit under number 28 to keep it from going all the way down??

Thank you again,

Chris

7. Willard

Willard Who, me?

First, look at how the Glock normally functions. After firing, the slide goes back. As the slide returns forward, the "tab" on the rear of the trigger bar catches the firing pin. The trigger bar is now holding the firing pin towards the rear, against the pressure of the firing pin spring. When you pull the trigger, the trigger bar moves backward, pushing the firing pin backwards against the FP spring. As the trigger bar moves backwards, the connector causes it to also move downwards. Once the trigger bar has moved down enough, it disengages from the firing pin, and allows the firing pin to move forward (due to FP spring).

The difference in the auto Glock: as the slide moves forward after firing the first shot, the trigger bar catches the firing pin spring BRIEFLY, then the "tab" on the auto switch catches the trigger bar, and forces it down, releasing the firing pin.

The G18 works the same way, the switch is simply on the side of the slide, instead of the rear.

8. UZIFORME

UZIFORME

BTW, full auto fire is 98% a wasteful novelty and has very little practical application in the real world.

Evidently every elite police force and military in the world must disagree with you.

A select fire weapon can do everything a semi auto can do and more. So how is that limiting in it's role in the real world.

And the conversion has nothing to do with the striker, it effects the trigger bar.

9. fishfool59

fishfool59 MEGA-Banned!

About the only thing F/A is good for (other than being fun as ****) is making the other guy keep his head down.

10. Mr. Sweden

Mr. Sweden

Hi

Where can i bye the glock full auto switch....they ar not for sale in Sweden :)

11. Jeff82

Jeff82 NRA Benefactor CLM

Sorry it took me so long to respond. Just now seeing your post.

Let me qualify my statement, "BTW, full auto fire excluding true machine guns is 98% a wasteful novelty and has very little practical application in the real civilian world."

Also, when I was in the 82nd Abn Div (M16A1's) we were not allowed to use full auto fire as it was too wasteful of ammo. This is not good when your mission is to go behind enemy lines with limited supply. Also most of your auto fire misses and is wasted. Don't confuse individual full auto with crew-served full auto. Why do you think we went to 3 round burst? (We are going back to full auto in later versions of the M16/M4. These are issued to troops with more training. Most regular grunts carry burst fire weapons.) There is a place for full auto in an individual arm but it's rare.

There's a place in LE for it too but again it's rare.

12. Top_Notch

Top_Notch

Williard has given a good explanation.

The reason the gun does not go off as soon as the switch is pressed is because the trigger is forward and the trigger bar is not back far enough to make contact with the full auto switch. The same logic applies to your second question from continuing firing after letting up on the trigger. Needless to say, the length of the full auto "tab" is of utmost importance in reliable functioning.

If you study the Glock firing mechanism you'll understand how simple yet elegant it really is. From there, modifying it is easy, but modifying it for full-auto is in all probability highly illegal.

13. ColoradoPacker

ColoradoPacker What's a Glock?