Glock Talk banner

Glock Frame Exchange?

1229 Views 9 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  ken grant
Good morning,

I have a question regarding Glock's warranty. Officially it's only one year, but I've heard great things about it, that pretty much it's a lifetime warranty. However, assuming that for some reason, not through abuse though, perhaps from normal wear and tear, the actual frame cracks and it's after the official warranty period. Would Glock replace it with a new one free of charge, or does it charge a fee? Also, does it use a different serial number? If so, does that mean that you have to pay for the FFL transfer fee out of pocket? And to send the gun in to Glock, do you pay for it yourself or do you get a prepaid label?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Private side
13,890 Posts
I bought a used one from a pawn shop. The previous owner pulled a fast one on them and used a Hogue Handall grip to cover up the fact that their puppy used the gun as a chew toy.
I got a steal of a deal on it, called Glock and paid about 59 bucks for a new frame with a serial number starting with G#####. I could have waited longer and had the original serial number with a -1 but I didn’t care about the mix match because the gun worked and didn’t know other Glocks might make fun of it.

Never had to return a worn out frame but if you call Glock I’m sure they’d provide the correct answer to your question.

· Registered
1,476 Posts
About 15-18 years ago I bought a used G19 gen2 as my first Glock and was told about the extended coverage not always out there but usually honored with what they called "updates".

I sent in the G19 which was in average used condition for it's time and in about 2-3 weeks it came back from Glock. Glock had replaced the whole lower frame with all brand new internal parts in a gen 3 frame at no cost and paying the shipping both ways. It did have a new serial number on the frame that started with a Gxxxx, I think to indicate that it had been "updated". So now the slide has a different serial number than the frame if that matters.......................to me .......................NOPE !!!!

At the time I was surprised and happy and had no thoughts about collector value of a gen 2, and even today am still happy for the "new" shooter.

I would doubt if that same level of customer service is still out there but it may be worth a call. I would refer to asking about the "safety updates" that might be available.

Good luck and please post on your outcome.

· Registered
1,077 Posts
Last spring I acquired a bubba'd-up Gen 3 22. Worst stippling job I've ever seen, plus the pin holes were really worn and all of the internals were of some low-grade aftermarket variety. Glock replaced the entire lower.... frame and all of the parts for $100.

· Registered
3,566 Posts
Last spring I acquired a bubba'd-up Gen 3 22. Worst stippling job I've ever seen, plus the pin holes were really worn and all of the internals were of some low-grade aftermarket variety. Glock replaced the entire lower.... frame and all of the parts for $100.
Nice. Did you get a matching SN and was a FFL required or not since you direct shipped to Glock?

· Registered
9,076 Posts
Nice. Did you get a matching SN and was a FFL required or not since you direct shipped to Glock?
I sent them a G23 Gen 2 that had the defect and cracked frame. They asked if I wanted a matching serial number with a + 1 on it and I told them no. They sent me a new Gen 3 frame and it didn’t have to go through an FFL. I did have to pick it up at the FedEx hub though and sign for it. That was a few years ago and it might have changed since then.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I sent them a G23 Gen 2 that had the defect and cracked frame. They asked if I wanted a matching serial number with a + 1 on it and I told them no. They sent me a new Gen 3 frame and it didn’t have to go through an FFL. I did have to pick it up at the FedEx hub though and sign for it. That was a few years ago and it might have changed since then.
If you do get the +1 serial number would it still need to go through an FFL if it's a state that requires handguns to be registered?

· Registered
1,169 Posts
Good morning,

I have a question regarding Glock's warranty. Officially it's only one year, but I've heard great things about it, that pretty much it's a lifetime warranty. However, assuming that for some reason, not through abuse though, perhaps from normal wear and tear, the actual frame cracks and it's after the official warranty period. Would Glock replace it with a new one free of charge, or does it charge a fee? Also, does it use a different serial number? If so, does that mean that you have to pay for the FFL transfer fee out of pocket? And to send the gun in to Glock, do you pay for it yourself or do you get a prepaid label?
As Bamatrooper stated , they will likely give you a new frame (I'm not sure of cost ) but it would have the G -S# , or you can wait & get a matching S-#. I'm pretty sure it still works this way In Smyrna Glock HQ .

· Registered
2,767 Posts
I went to Glock to have 3 checked out and to install night sights on them . My Gen 2 23 was checked out and I was told the frame was battered and needed replacing .
They told me there would no charge but it would take 2 weeks to get it back to me .
I left it with them and 2weeks later to the day it was back home with me . I now have a 23 Gen. 2/3 with non matching numbers .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.