Glock Talk banner

Glock for left handers

9509 Views 26 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  Glockgeezer
Sorry, don't mean to get all of the lefties excited out there with the title but why don't they make at least one model for left handers. I'm sure most gun companies figure us left handers will buy their products anyway because we have no choice. What's that saying, my way or the highway? Come on Glock, give us at least one. What would it cost them? Obviously too much! Every handgun I own was made for a right hander. What's up with that?
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
3,349 Posts
The Gen 4 is as left handed as a Glock gets. The only other part on a Glock that is not left handed is the slide release. I am left handed (prefer to not be called a "leftie" due to the political implication :supergrin:). In any event, I have been using Glocks for over 13 years and have not had any issues adapting to a right handed world. Although I have a Gen 4, I still keep the mag release button on the stock side. Just used to it I guess. I also have no need or desire for a right side mag release.
On the other hand (no pun intended), on a 1911, I need an ambi safety.

· Banned
1,512 Posts
Yeah, the Gen 4 accommodates left handers, but the ambi-systems are nice. Seems to me that it wouldn't be that hard to put abmi-controls on Glocks, but one of the things that makes them so appealing is the lack of extra controls hanging out everywhere.

· Registered
401 Posts
I shoot left handed as well (I'm kind of ambidextrous, But prefer to shoot lefty because I'm left eye dominant). I have found over the years I actually like the fact that there are no controls on the right side of Glocks. I shoot with an aggressive thumbs forward grip and tend to bump those controls preventing slide lock on an empty mag. So for me, I like the fact that glock has no controls set up for left hand shooters. On the gen 4's you can move the mag release but I'm use to using my index finger to dump the mags that I left it as is. Ymmv

· Registered
464 Posts
What Redstate said. I've been shooting since I was five years old(62 now). Always lefty, although I'm kind of surprised they didn't try to flip me as I was growing up. Anyway, even though I've had the opportunity to switch mag releases on previous guns, i.e., Sig, 1911's, etc., I never have. The main fly in the ointment for some has always been the safety, as noted above. Glock doesn't need to make a "lefty" version, especially with the advent of the Gen 4's. I have a couple of those but still don't flip the mag release. My trigger finger works just fine for that and has the added benefit of being off the trigger during reloads/mag changes.

· Registered
44 Posts
We live in a right-handed dominated world for sure Guns are no different.

Left-handed people are the largest unprotected minority group in the US. Think about that for a minute...

Anyway, I just picked up 2 Gen 4 Glocks and can't wait to change over the mag releases. I will admit that this will take some getting used to as I have been doing so many things in an awkward ambidextrous sort of way for years.

Now, I am on the search for a left-handed holster for my new G43!!

· Registered
29 Posts
I shoot left handed as well (I'm kind of ambidextrous, But prefer to shoot lefty because I'm left eye dominant). I have found over the years I actually like the fact that there are no controls on the right side of Glocks. I shoot with an aggressive thumbs forward grip and tend to bump those controls preventing slide lock on an empty mag. So for me, I like the fact that glock has no controls set up for left hand shooters. On the gen 4's you can move the mag release but I'm use to using my index finger to dump the mags that I left it as is. Ymmv
Haha I'm the exact same way and do the exact same thing! :wow::cool:

· Registered
2,798 Posts
as far as I'm concerned, a Glock is a left-handed gun.

-no manual safety to deal with.
-no controls on the right side to mess with your grip.
- mag release activated with the middle finger of your left hand.
-sling shot slide release rather hand activating the manual slide release.

I've been left handed, well, all my life and find the way the Glock is set up works perfect for me.

sig357fan

Reactions: JMag

· Registered
599 Posts
I have never had a problem with this. I am left handed and can easily manipulate everything I need to with my left hand. I actually prefer it. I use my right hand sometimes or guns that are Ambi and don't like the traditional way of manipulating the mag release and slide release.

· Registered
59,814 Posts
Not a Glock but there is this.

· Retired Navy
13 Posts
I'm a lefty, and am comfortable in this right handed world with my Glocks.

I do have a couple of left handed bolt action rifles, and a lefty Remington 1100 and some custom left handed wood stocks for my O/U shotguns.

I wouldn't even consider swapping my G26 Gen 4 mag release to the other side because it would screw me up.

· Registered
3,968 Posts
I'm left handed and the current Glocks are all fine for me. I drop the mag with the first knuckle of my bird finger of my left hand. I've tried reversible mag releases, but I prefer the mag release on the left side. Less grip shift. When necessary (which is seldom) I activate the slide stop with my trigger finger. Slide normally drops automatically on mag insert. I overhand when clearing malfunctions. Slingshot when loading with the slide down. Slide stop when unloading. No need for backward Glocks.

· Registered
230 Posts
I got my g42 3 months ago. I too am left handed. I had some issues with my grip in dropping mags so I switched it. It is perfect for me now and "custom" too . Anyway all of us folks in our right minds have had to put the right handed worlds nonsense, but it is what it is.

· Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I gotta kick out of all the stories of how us left handers have had to accept being in a right handed world. It reminds me of when I was in my early years playing little league baseball. I was left handed, pitcher, and didn't have a left handed glove so I used a friend's right handed one and just folded it as much as I could to make it work for me, guess my parents couldn't afford to get me one. After awhile I decided to accept it and switched to being right handed. I've been right handed playing baseball ever since. Funny how that works!
I still have to wonder, how much would it take for a company as big as Glock to make just one left handed model. Guess it would be unique, after all, from what I understand, 20% of us all are left handed. Thanks for all of your responses.

· Registered
3,968 Posts
I gotta kick out of all the stories of how us left handers have had to accept being in a right handed world. It reminds me of when I was in my early years playing little league baseball. I was left handed, pitcher, and didn't have a left handed glove so I used a friend's right handed one and just folded it as much as I could to make it work for me, guess my parents couldn't afford to get me one. After awhile I decided to accept it and switched to being right handed. I've been right handed playing baseball ever since. Funny how that works!
I still have to wonder, how much would it take for a company as big as Glock to make just one left handed model. Guess it would be unique, after all, from what I understand, 20% of us all are left handed. Thanks for all of your responses.
One left hander here who wouldn't have a "backward" Glock. Totally left handed would be an expensive model. Truly left handed like the Randall would require most every part to be reversed including the magazine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.