close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock for GSSF, IDPA, IPSC

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by PlasticGuy, Jan 30, 2006.

1. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

I'm a firearms instructor and a pretty decent shooter, but know virtually nothing about competition. I'd really like to get into something like IDPA, GSSF, or IPSC. I would really like to keep it simple, so the competition benefits me in the self defense/security instruction that I do. From what I've read, it looks like "production" class or whatever each type of competition calls it would be a good fit for me. I know a lot about all common combat handguns, so "start with a stock G-17 and see how it works" isn't the answer I'm looking for. Tell me what the end product looks like so I can just start there.

The Glock seems to be a good fit for this type of competition. I really like the 9mm, and would really like to stick with it. So what gun to I need, and what do I need to do to it to be competitive in the basic (in terms of equipment) levels of these competitions? I'd really like to use one gun for everything (including CCW), even if it means the loss of a gizmo that would be allowed in a different type of competition. I think it would pay off in familiarity with the weapon, and even if it didn't it would be more useful to me in drilling for defensive shooting. I don't expect to win, and don't really care much about scores as long as I don't look like a fool. I just want an excuse to get in some really good practice under pressure.

Thanks for the help.

2. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

It looks like I would be on the right track with a Glock 17, good sights, and a GSSF trigger job by CGR. Does that sound about right to you guys?

3. cnemikeman

cnemikeman

All things being equal, go with the G34. It is 9mm, will allow you to shoot IDPA as SSP, and USPSA as Production. Dump the Glock sights are get either a Dawson combo, or some Heinies.
    The trigger on a 34 is lighter than on a 17. Only thing I might recommend is a polish job on the internals. Beyond that, go to town.

Mike

4. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

I shoot a G17 w/these mods & equipment:

SIGHTS
    Put on a plain black MMC rear made for the Glock and a Dawson Precision Fiber Optical front made for the Novak rear. The front sight is .160 high. I opened up the MMC rear a little with a file and Dremel.
    Looks like a small combat rear sight and it's adjustable. The front sight is very low and will fit any holster.

TRIGGER
    Modified to 2lbs w/very little take up and all 3 safeties working

Magazines
    4 for IDPA
    6 for USPSA

HOLSTER
    Blade Tech molded

MAG HOLDERS
    Uncle Mike's Kydex
    1 Double holder for IDPA
    2 Double holders for USPSA

Belt
    Your choice

I shoot both IDPA/USPSA and enjoy them immensely, have never shot GSSF and these mods and equipment may not be appropriate for that discipline.

Good luck and enjoy.:)

5. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

I thought GSSF and USPSA wouldn't allow the G-34 in their production class. Am I wrong?

6. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Thanks, Duck. Your pistol sounds like it fits the "simple" theme that I had in mind.

Can someone with a GSSF background tell me if his pistol would work for that sport? Thanks.

7. TimP

TimP 1 Proud Infidel

Glock 35 IMO.

You can download your 40 ammo to 125pf with no problems and shoot production in USPSA, SSP ESP in IDPA, and GSSF. You can then load up the ammo to 165pf and shoot Limited, Limited 10, or Open with the G35.

Plus with a 35, you can get a 9mm barrel for it, but if you get a G34, you cant put a 40 cal barrel in it. The 35 is the logical choice, that or the G22

8. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Your argument for the .40 makes sense, but can I use the long-slide models in production class and for GSSF? Wouldn't I need to go with the Glock 22?

9. TimP

TimP 1 Proud Infidel

yes, a G35 IS legal for USPSA production. I don't know about GSSF though.

10. koolaid

koolaid

With the G-34,35,17L, or 24L in GSSF you will be shooting in competition, or amateur competition class.

11. koolaid

koolaid

With the G-34,35,17L, or 24L you will be shooting in competition, or amateur competition class.

12. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

A G17 with a polished 3.5 connector from CGR a set of Bomars (racecut)with a narrow front sight will allow you to shoot Amateur Civilan,Competition,Stockmeister and Unlimited. I have 40 mags for the 4 categories and most of the Fella's and Gal from IndyGlockers Team 1 and 11 shoot this same setup. Almost all of us have been mentored by the fella's from Carver Mounts and their success is well known. We have three shooters that probably will graduate to master Class this year while the other 3 of us will probably get there in 2-3 years.

Some of us will try our hand this year at USPSA and the above will adequately work in Production class with a good holster ( BladeTeach DOH) along with a good belt and mag carriers. ;f

13. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Start out with what you have or a mildly modded gun then. If you find you like it you can also do more to the gun.

14. USMC06

USMC06 USMC Retired

PlasticGuy:

I use a G34 with Dawson fiber optic sights and polished internals for IDPA SSP division (can also shoot in ESP division), IPSC Production division, and GSSF Master/Amateur Unlimited and Amateur Competition divisions.

I recommend a G34 9mm. The G34 is about the same size as a standard 1911 and although many people choose not to carry it, it is carryable.

15. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

The only problem is....GSSF allows the 17 in Amateur Civilan, the 34 limits you to what you can compete with in GSSF.Again if you are going to start competing in a low impact Gun Game like GSSF...DO NOT OVER BUY ......the 17 with upgrades outlined by GSSF is where you need to start. I have the 35 and 34 as well and they are fine tools but the 17 will give you more options starting out for GSSF. ;f

16. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

My intent is to start with a mildly modded gun, and then do nothing more at all. If I do more, it loses some value to me as a training tool.

I didn't know what model would keep me in the base level of all of these competitions, and I didn't know which mods were allowed while still being considered "stock". Here's what it looks like I should get:

Glock 17
    3.5# connector
    better sights
    G34 mag release
    G34 slide release.

It seems simple and effective, and from what you guys are telling me it should keep me in the production classes off all of these competitions. Thanks everyone, and if anybody has anything more to add I would love to hear it.

17. USMC06

USMC06 USMC Retired

I agree with Festus above that the G34 would limit you to two divisions out of six a shooter can compete in when it comes to GSSF. I use a G34 most of the times for IDPA and IPSC, but I also use my carry G19 because it shoots as well as my G34 in competitions. My G19 has a 3.5 lb connector and a NY1 trigger along with the extended controls, Trijicon sights, and polished internals. The 3.5 lb connector and NY1 trigger combo may not work for everyone, but it sure works for me. Smooth, crisp trigger pull.

18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

If you want to shoot GSSF you DO NOT want a Glock 34 or 35. 6 of us went to the last Bluegrass Regional GSSF match together and 5 of them normally would have used a Glock 35 (3), Glock 22C (1) and Glock 34 (1), so we ended up rounding up 3 Glock 17's and sharing them through the match so they could shoot in Am. Guardian and Am. Civilian - that's where the prizes are and where you want to shoot if you can and the 34/35 are not allowed.

The Glock 34 is the best shooting and becoming the most popular gun in IDPA SSP division (the most popular IDPA division).

The Glock 35, on the other hand, is probably a better choice for IPSC/USPSA since factory .40 ammo is major and it's generally better to shoot major than minor.

However, if you want a gun that does all of these, either a Glock 17 or 22 is the way to go, in my opinion. The 22 puts you at a disadvantage in IDPA and GSSF, since you have to shoot against 17's. If you are a reloader, however, you may be able to load down the .40 for IDPA and GSSF and do well - there was at least one GSSF regional last year that was won (Am.Civ.) by a shooter with a .40 - most times Am. Civ. was won by a 17, I'll bet.

If you get the 17, you have a disadvantage in USPSA because you are shooting a minor caliber, so you lose more points for shots outside the center ring than with a major caliber.

So, the answer is that you have to decide which sport you are most interested in competing in (I'd recommend concentrating on the IDPA and GSSF to start and maybe shifting your concentration to the more competitive USPSA as you get experience). If you want to shoot in all 3 equally, the Glock 17, mostly stock, is the way to go. GSSF and IDPA won't allow much in the way of modifications - trigger improvements and extended magazine release and slide release and new sights are about all you can do. Personally, I like the Glock sights just fine - they are easy to see, easy to replace, and I've never had to replace one due to damage in 15-16 years of acrrying Glocks as a duty gun, off-duty gun and competition gun.

So, no matter how much you know about guns or shooting, I'd say the best answer for all these sports is "start with a stock G-17 and see how it works."

The end product is that same G-17 with (maybe) some trigger work and (maybe) extended levers - some people prefer (and some shooting techniques prefer) the stock trigger and many people prefer the stock mag and slide releases. Other than that, what are you going to do? I've never had a Glock that wasn't more accurate than action shooting demands and most modifications aren't legal for GSSF amateur divisions or IDPA SSP division.

19. bruce282

bruce282

You have gotten some good info. One thing I'll add is all rounds fired in the Production class of USPSC are scored as Minor regardless of the actual power factor, so a G17 is on even footing.

Bruce

20. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Thanks, guys. An almost-stock Glock 17 is in my near future. If I can just get a day off to go to the store...