close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock Fixed vs Glock Adjustable Sights

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ShotsFired, Oct 14, 2006.

1. ShotsFired

ShotsFired

I purchase most of my guns online and am currently thinking of a G19. I see adds for Glocks with "fixed" sights and others say "adjustable" sights, but the guns look the same.

I think of an "adjustable sight" as a target sight -- adjustable for windage and elevation.

How do fixed and adjustable sights differ on a Glock? Other than night sights, is there more than one kind of factory sight on Glocks?

TIA

2. ede

ede Bama's Friend

glocks can be had with fixed, adjustable, and nite sights. fixed are windage adjustable only, adjustable are adjustable for windage and elevation.

3. dano8801

dano8801 Señor Member

Yeah if you feel trying to tap/whack/hammer your rear site one way or the other while at the range.

Hardly precision. Although I suppose if you brought a rear site tool it would make life a hell of a lot easier.

4. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

Glock adjustable sights are not like most of the other adjustables I have seen. They have a fixed outer shroud, and the adjustable part sits within that, instead of the entire rear sight moving like the other brands. That is why it resembles a fixed sight.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=glock adjustable sights&sa=N&tab=wi

Also. Have you considered that whoever is selling these guns, is simply posting generic pictures? So you probably are looking at fixed sights, even though you will get adjustables when you buy it.

5. T. Harless

T. Harless

IMO the Glock adjustables are junk. If you want an adjustable target sight, buy the Glock with fixed and the buy and replace with some real steel adjustables.

It's been my experience that the OEMs tend to randomly adjust themselves with recoil. I like the DPs myself.

6. Sikhed

Sikhed cat-herder

Got a NIB G17L a while back, and it came with Glock factory adjustables. Never found out if the rear one wandered or "self adjusted", because the front one got loose & started spinning around:freak: Also, the height adjustment is a cam, not a jack screw like most adjustables. All plastic too.

Immediately replaced mine with some Ameriglo operators and am happy with them.

Suggest you take T Harless's advice, get the fixed sights (cheaper) and replace them with something else.

7. Moet

Moet

I have a G34 and have had problems with the rear sight moving as it is a press fit and you would not expect them to move once installed but I have been able to move them with a mimimal amount of thumb pressure and had continual trouble sighting correctly! Not witstanding my aim may be some what questionable but the moving sight makes it even more difficult for me at least as I ask is it the sight or is it me?

So back to the original question how does one know when the fixed sight is installed it is acurate once installed.

I would like to get away from having to ajust the sight and feel confident it is acurate when I go to the range

Is there an accurate way of sighting the gun prior to shooting

Where does one get these altenative 3 dot /night sights I have heard about? Are they one and the same or two different types of sights

These may sound like dumb questions to some but I was always told there was no such thing as a dumb question and becuase I dont know I just have to ask

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

8. Joe D

Joe D Guest

The Glock adj. sights are the first thing to go in the trash. There are many good fixed sights to choose from. I happen to like Novak's. Heinie's are OK. The steel in a Heinie sight is a little softer than Novak's.
    I have never found a reason to have adj. sights for any of the games I play - IDPA and IPSC.

9. Moet

Moet

You wouldnt happen to have a web site link or info on either or both of these sights?

10. Randy Dandy

Randy Dandy

Hmm, interesting.

I have factory adjustables on my G34 and on one of my G22's and have never had a problem with them.

Guess I've just been lucky...

11. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

Moet, I don't know of any that would ship to Australia. But if you punch Glock night sights, or Novak, or Heinie, into a search engine. I am sure you can contact those companies and find a seller in your area.

12. Moet

Moet

I have found Aussie suppliers

Thanks for the assitance

If I can help anyone please email me, you never know when you may need a Kangaroo or two

13. G19cPH

G19cPH

My G19c has the factory adjustable sights no problem with it so far...:thumbsup:

14. ShotsFired

ShotsFired

15. pakettle

pakettle

Whats with this Willy Wonka Chocolate factory thing that keeps showing up on all these threads!Are we supposed to dip our Glocks in chocolate?:upeyes:

16. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

ShotsFired,

I have a set of Ameriglo adjustables that I am willing to let go at a savings to you. I bought them to install on my G17L, but didn't like them because the front sight was too long front to rear, and it hung over into the hole milled into slide on the G17L. I have already filed the rear to fit the dovetail, but it is still very tight, and it has a retention screw, so you don't have to worry about it sliding off. I installed them, shot the gun once, and took them off. Let me know if you are interested in them, and I will come up with a price with shipping if you e-mail me your zip code.

http://www.ameriglo.net/weapon_site/store_pages/glock_non_tritium_sights.html

They are the non-tritium adjustable on this page.

This is why I didn't like them.
    [​IMG]

17. AZJKD

AZJKD Tactical Glock

With a pistol intended range of < 25 feet.
    Most civilian gun fights at < 10 feet.

With NO bullet drop for well beyond 10-25 feet. (Elevation adjustment needed for bullet arc or drop)

Unless your shooting in a gale force wind the cross breeze isn't a factor either in the short pistol distance. (Windage adjustment)
    Besides that the wind blowing is not constant, are you going to keep guessing at the adjustment after every shot? Now thats accurate...

How many people are fiddling with sights on the range between shots honestly? If you can't hit the target, ever think it might just be you that needs adjustment or a lot more practice? This sights might actually be perfect, if you installed them properly!

I guess with adjustible sights you always have the sights to blame for being a bad shot...:rofl:

Cranking the sight to one side to compensate for pulling the gun when you fire? I've seen that done before. Too bad the drift is greater the farther out the target is.

I've used the gap at the SIDE of the slide and frame to sight down before and hit the target accuratly. (Murphy Law: What if the sight is broken off practice.)

Glock was meant to be simple, the more add ons you give it the farther from a Glock it is. The more to break, the more to go wrong, the more to maintain. Just go buy a 1911...

For the people POUNDING or tapping thier sights around.
    Take your glock out of that vat of 10w30 motor oil and go down to the gun shop. Glock has a small tool thats something like a 2 sided "C" clamp that moves the sight without banging it around. :thumbsup:
    AND NO DON'T USE A "C" CLAMP TO ADJUST IT NEXT TIME."

You shouldn't have to adjust it again after that... EVER.
    Well, Unless your pounding nails with your glock or Prying off bottlecaps with your rear sights. :shocked:

Just remember, guns don't kill. Its the "nut" behind the bolt.

18. gary newport

gary newport

Just who "intended" the range of a pistol to be LESS THAN 25 feet? Why does the IDPA Classifier include shooting at 60 feet? Why does GSSF include targets at 75 feet? Why does PPC include shooting at 75 and 150 feet? Two reasons: (1) because pistols, with the possible exception of pocket "mouse guns", are NOT "intended" to have a range less than 25 feet, and (2) the ability to shoot a handgun accurately at greater than spitting distance just might come in handy someday!

19. T. Harless

T. Harless

Clearly, you're the man and clearly out of the box your Glocks are perfect POA=POI. You'd have no use for finer adjustment....Chuck.

20. PistolWhip

PistolWhip Ammo Whore

I have to agree with Gary Newport. Even Bullseye matches (which I think is among the first organized competition pistol matches) you shoot from 25 yds....with one hand only. NJ State Attorney General Guidelines mandate that Police Officers qualify from 25yds and in all the way up to the 1yrd weapon retention position. My issued weapon is a Glock 23 (duty) and I have NO problem qualifying 100% even from 25 with a small barreled pistol like that. With my TAC gun (a G35) I can pretty much qualify the entire 60 round course at 100% with all head shots up to the 1yrd line (standard FBI "Q" target). If you think pistols are "intended" to shoot less than 25yds, I must be among the elite in your eyes. Hell, my entire TAC team is among the elite for that matter.
    My Sgt can shoot 10 rounds from the 50, off hand out of his 23 and hit all 10 center mass. I'm not that good from the 50, but it can obviously be done with practice.

As for the sites, I have factory Glock adjustables on my TAC gun (G35) and like I said, 100% on a 60 round qual course from 25 in, all head shots up to weapon retention. I have Triji Con's on my 23 and they are fine for a daily defense weapon. If you need a rugged site that will stay put when banged around (hence my duty gun with me wrestling around, getting in out of the car etc...) a steal fixed rear is the way to go. If it's a target gun or one that will most likely avoid being banged around, the adjustables have served me well for SWAT duty.