Glock Firing Pin Spring

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Danzig, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Danzig

Danzig

My glock 23 has already fired almost 5,000 rounds.in your own experience my fellow glock owners,when would be the time yo change the firing pin spring? Any help or opinions would be appreciated

2. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Welcome to GlockTalk!

Nope, the firing pin spring should be fine, it's just getting warmed up.

But the recoil spring assembly on the other hand......

3. whoflungdo

whoflungdo

Inspect and change as needed. As another poster pointed out, you will need to change the recoil spring assembly per Glock recommendations. It should be replaced every 3k-5k rounds. Everything else is to be inspected yearly during a complete breakdown and replaced as needed.

4. Danzig

Danzig

Thank you. So I shouldn't replace the FP spring if it's not broken.

5. SCC

SCC just me

no :wavey:

6. Spike32

Spike32

I wouldn't worry about the firing spring pin, but I agree with Butch about the recoil spring. I usually replace the recoil spring every 2,000 rounds or so. I'd be checking the mag springs too with 5,000 rounds downrange.

7. whoflungdo

whoflungdo

As long as it is not broken, bent, crimped, twisted, or abnormally gapped, or other sign of serious wear, you should be ready to go.

8. Danzig

Danzig

thanks for all the replies.im just worried i will have failure to fire when the time comes to use it for SD.

9. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

The sad part is that, being a man made machine, any part of any gun can fail when you most need it not to. That's why you train to overcome a failure with malfunction drills, and why you will hopefully have a backup plan.

In my opinion, the best way to avoid having a part failure with your SD gun at a bad time is to have the failure at the range during your regular training/practice time. In other words, if you practice with the gun on a regular basis, it's more likely to break at the range than it is when you most need it.....and it's much better to have it happen at the range.

10. whoflungdo

whoflungdo

If you are that concerned, go ahead and get it replaced. I don't have my parts list in front of me, but it isn't that expensive. Definitely worth the peace of mind it will give you. It just isn't necessary because of the round count that you have fired through it. I would take it to an certified armorer in your area and have them check it out and then replace if it if you still want it replaced.

Also agree with the other poster that says train, train, and then train some more.