Glock firing pin safety

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by creativetownsman, Jan 26, 2020.

1. AWGD8

AWGD8 Sr. Glocker29SF

Just trying to give an extreme example dropping the gun and damage the whole rear...=)

2. AWGD8

AWGD8 Sr. Glocker29SF

But freak accident can happen, let says
    the safety plunger spring is broken or some gunk made the plunger to get stuck down or both and making the trigger pin channel to be opened.

This is the reason I like to polish the plunger side and check my carry gun for function check, buy pressing it and make sure gun is clean all the time....

3. creativetownsman

creativetownsman

San Diego, G23-3, limited to Gen 3. Don't ask.
    Yes, that is good. May also be a good idea not to use a reduced power plunger spring and stick to stock.

Posters, please read post #57 again. I've amended it.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  4. Karambit777

Karambit777

How does polishing the plunger have anything to do with this?

5. creativetownsman

creativetownsman

Oooohhh, toody, toody! I sort of knew that one was coming! lol

6. AWGD8

AWGD8 Sr. Glocker29SF

moves smoothly around that hole/bore that can get dirty.. I mentioned the side of the plunger that runs up and down like a piston in a cylinder.

I’ve seen M&P ‘s with metal burr around the cylinder /bore causing gritty trigger feel too. Guy actually use a circular file to clean it. Check on youtube. LOL

7. GRR

GRR

You adjusted your aftermarket trigger down to 1/8" takup. I don't know what trigger you used, but I would imagine that that would result in your trigger bar being further to the rear than with stock, the bird's head already into the connector, camming the rear of the trigger bar almost off the firing pin lug. I wouldn't expect 30% engagement under those circumstances. Did it fire and then go dead? By dead do you mean it would it not reset? Or would it not release? I don't see where what you described indicates that the trigger bar didn't drop. Sounds like consequences of pushing the envelope with aftermarket parts. What other aftermarket parts were in combination with it?

creativetownsman likes this.
  8. creativetownsman

creativetownsman

GRR- Thank you for your continuing participation in this thread! I want you to know that I appreciate it.

Yes, definitely, I had stated the cruciform was further to the rear of the shelf and it was not far from falling off those shelves, but as I said it PASSED the checks.

Hoping that you are right and that my TB did drop down. The shoe worked fine. I had had stock parts and a dot or minus or Ghost connector at various times with it. Dry-fired only with the shoe. I never tried it at the range.

The trigger, after the failure, felt that it wasn't connected to anything. It was in the forward position. I had slammed the gun in various positions down on a carpeted floor, also dropped it those ways from about 4 feet or so.

I'd say that it felt similar (actually a bit less) to when you take the slide off and move the vertical extension forward to get the shoe forward, and then pull on the trigger and let it go home, without interference, is similar feel that I got after the failure. It did not feel 'connected' to anything except for, perhaps, the trigger spring.

So, guess it boils down to the core question: Can the firing pin lug lose its engagement to the trigger bar notwithstanding cruciform on the shelf? I had thought YES but don't really know. That's why I am here!

9. Karambit777

Karambit777

O gotcha. I was thinking you was meaning the bottom face of the plunger. makes sense I guess.

Fit and finish have always been fairly smooth in regards to the milled areas like the plunger hole. Plus, although it would be minimal, seems polishing the outside edge of the plunger would remove material and make any micro gap larger, allowing more grit to enter. Guess it would allow the grit to self clean also.

I see the possible benefit however.

10. GRR

GRR

Ok, so dry firing it went click and then wouldn't reset after racking the slide?

11. creativetownsman

creativetownsman

I have no recollection of it not resetting, so all was thereafter normal.

Better stated: My recollection is that reset was not an issue after cycling the slide.

12. GRR

GRR

Sounds like your aftermarket trigger was set too close to the edge. I wouldn't use it. Nor would I use its results to imply anything about stock carry setups.

13. creativetownsman

creativetownsman

What are you saying? What's the opinion diagnosis? (I no longer have the trigger so it's of no consequence. I merely had to back it out a bit more than thought).

Firing pin lug separated from the trigger bar or trigger bar dropped from the shelf? The inference I get is the latter.

Others are welcome to comment.

14. Kentak

Kentak

I believe Glock recommends minimum of 2/3 (67%) engagement.

15. GRR

GRR

Either the trigger bar was past the shelf and dropped down (could have been a fraction of an inch) or somehow the firing pin lug climbed up and over the trigger bar. Your set up was so close that a minuscule movement of the TB downward let the FP go. The firing pin can't go up. The trigger bar HAS to move down to release the firing pin.

16. creativetownsman

creativetownsman

I don't know if you will amend your post, above. What I glean from it is the likelihood the bar fell off the shelf. That is reassuring, but is that consistent with the dead trigger?

Please someone distinguish likely scenario with bar clearly on the shelf with 10% vs. 70% lug/sear engagement. If there's a failure, which is more likely with the 10% engagement, exactly what happens?

Thank you for your views, others are welcome to comment.

17. gunsmoke92

gunsmoke92

Wow, just wow! 73 back and forth replies only to find out in #57 that you modified your gun and now it fails. So this whole thread has been about you screwing up your gun and wanting us to figure out how to make it work. GRR, to his credit, answered the question in post #55. Maybe inform folks what you did in post #1 and we'd have an answer for you in post #2.

18. GRR

GRR

Either the trigger bar was past the shelf and dropped down (could have been a fraction of an inch) or somehow the firing pin lug climbed up and over the trigger bar. Your set up was so close that a minuscule movement of the TB downward let the FP go. The firing pin can't go up. The trigger bar HAS to move down to release the firing pin.
    You glean correctly, more or less. The trigger bar doesn't actually "fall". The camming action of the birds head against the connector moves the TB downward as the TB moves to the rear and clears the drop safety shelf.

19. creativetownsman

creativetownsman

What the heck are you talking about? I presently have only ~50% engagement with two new OEM smooth trigger bars. Cut the cr*p.

20. creativetownsman

creativetownsman

Please, someone, assume the cruciform is clearly on the shelf with only 10% lug/sear engagement. That is possible, yes?

Further, assume the gun is dropped or subjected to a significant force of some kind.

If the engagement between FP lug and sear is broken as a result of that force what happens thereafter?

Remember that the cruciform was clearly on the shelf at the time of the occurrence.

Thanks. I eagerly await responses.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020