Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious as to whether you agree or disagree with the following statement, in whole or in part:

The firing pin safety is primarily designed to avoid any unintentional discharge should the pistol be subjected to extreme forces, which would cause the firing pin to lose engagement with the trigger bar.

Comments are welcomed.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a hypothetical:

1. Assume 50% lug/sear engagement, pistol is dropped, sear drops...will the firing pin move forward despite cruciform sufficiently on the shelves during a prior drop-safety check?

2. Here's another: Assume only 10% lug/sear engagement, pistol is dropped, sear drops...will the firing pin move forward despite cruciform sufficiently on the shelves during a prior drop-safety check?

3. Sorry, but I am somewhat confused by all of this..can the firing pin move forward only when the cruciform falls off the shelves?

4. Or can it move forward in spite of cruciform on the shelves?

5. In any, or all of the above, can the FP safety be expected to do its job and prevent further forward movement into the breech?

And, also, my understanding would be the pistol is double-action and only partially cocked when in battery. Pulling the trigger further cocks the pistol and further compresses the striker spring to make it fully cocked.

6. What percent cocked when pistol is in battery with trigger forward?

Sorry for so many questions but I can't help but ask them. Obviously, I don't have a clear understanding in this area and please don't recommend that I take the armorer's course because I am not able at this time for many reasons, including expense, travel, time.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
You should start your own board.
Don't know exactly how to interpret the above comment, but if it's any consolation, this is not the only forum where I've made the query.

I wasn't aware this forum was for Glock Advanced Certified Armorer's only. I thought it was for the Glock general public. If it's too much trouble- then don't bother.

But responses here would certainly be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The Glock design incorporates 3 mechanical safety features which operate independent of each other. Pretty simple explanation.

https://us.glock.com/en/learn/glock-pistols/safe-action-system
I went to the page and reviewed it. With due respect, it doesn't help answer my questions. My questions go further in understanding the interactions involved with the drop safety, lug/sear engagement, and the FP safeties.

The lug/sear engagement is not per se a safety (right?) and I just want to get a better understanding of the pistol's operation. And I do note the independent operation of the safeties.

Why is checking engagement only known or important to armorers'? Does it go to the operation of the trigger so that it doesn't fail/go dead or slip off the bar and cause a potential discharge?

Does a check of the drop-safety really suffice, or not, as to the layman? I refer to pressing down on the cruciform with a punch with safety tab against the frame and further pushing and holding vertical extension forward to simulate the reset.

Is it reasonable to assume that lug/sear engagement is not a major concern to Glock as to the shooting public due to the FP safety doing its job?

·
Registered
32,212 Posts
If the simple and straightforward text explanation and short computer animation video clips don't give you a basic understanding of how the safety features are designed to normally operate, I don't know what to tell you.

Are you going to start asking questions about what happens when you modify a Glock from its stock configuration as manufactured; using aftermarket parts; reducing 'pre-travel', etc?

·
PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia
11,821 Posts
As I understand it; the FP or "misnomer" Drop Safety is just that...designed to prevent the FP from going fwd if the platform strikes a hard surface, as in being "Dropped" and or struck against the rear of the slide...other than that, I got nothing

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the simple and straightforward text explanation and short computer animation video clips don't give you a basic understanding of how the safety features are designed to normally operate, I don't know what to tell you.

So, one might guess that a pistol with 10% engagement is nothing to be concerned about.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
I just dropped my XD 9 defender on my closet floor in the act of holstering. Didn't go off, but scary. Gun looks ok.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I just dropped my XD 9 defender on my closet floor in the act of holstering. Didn't go off, but scary. Gun looks ok.
Far safer in a fall with that trigger safety, grip safety, and FP safety, unless, of course, lug/sear engagement is an issue with the XD9 Defender. I have no idea if it would apply in that firearm.

I have an XD9, Great Gun, found it more reliable than a Glock. Mine is CA version, it's basically the HS2000. Very bad that's all that we're 'granted' here.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since I seldom, if ever, receive a direct response to specific questions I will once again go.
What are y'all afraid of? I consider the responses anonymous and even if not, not to be relied upon as gospel.

Unsubscribed.

·
MacGyver
8,089 Posts
Asking for internet opinions, and crowd spits, is not an accurate assessment of risk. the bias meter is extreme on gun boards.
Controlled, double blind, with good statistical sampling will give you the fairest answer you are seeking...but nothing is absolute.

Given that there are millions x years of Glocks in current and past circulation, and very minimal (even stupid, silly, internet events), I would wager a bet of at least $200 that the Glock factory firing pin safety is impervious to irrational and fantastical forces under controlled testing.

·
Registered
32,212 Posts
So, one might guess that a pistol with 10% engagement is nothing to be concerned about.
Why would one guess that? "One might guess" whatever one might wish to guess, but that doesn't mean it's going to be correct (or safe).

Glock tells its armorers that the minimum safe TB/FP engagement is 66% (2/3rds). Presumably, they didn't pull that number out of their hat. Might it be a very conservative specification and tolerance that errs on the side of shooter/owner safety? Dunno. I've never spoken with a Glock engineer. They do, however, tell armorers that if the engagement falls short of that minimum spec, that parts need to be replaced until the engagement is restored to within the normal factory spec. That might mean having to replace any or all of the parts involved (TB, FP and TMH).

Obviously, if a particular FPS plunger (or its spring) is worn or damaged so that a gun can't pass the FP/FPS bench safety check, the plunger and its spring must be replaced. Maybe the FP, too, depending if the FP's corresponding safety shelf surface was also damaged to the point that it compromises the intended normal and safe function, even with a new FPS assembly (since they attach the spring to the plunger nowadays).

Now, if someone modifies or otherwise does something to their Glock that ends up compromising the normal safe operation of the gun, including compromising the designed operation and function of any of its 3 passive safety features, then that's likely going to be found to be on them. Not Glock.

Don't know what you're looking to establish, but asking the same questions over and over, in somewhat different ways, probably isn't going to change any of the answers, opinions or experiences you've received.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Since I seldom, if ever, receive a direct response to specific questions I will once again go.
What are y'all afraid of? I consider the responses anonymous and even if not, not to be relied upon as gospel.

Unsubscribed.
Here's a direct response, what exactly are you asking? It's a firing pin safety. Unless you pull the trigger far enough for it to be depressed, the firing pin goes nowhere. Since the trigger isn't heavy enough to carry the trigger bar rearward during a drop, there's no chance of the firing pin moving past the plunger and striking the primer on a chambered round. Bottom line, unless you pull the trigger, the gun won't fire. In my opinion, you're way, way over thinking this.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Here's a direct response, what exactly are you asking? It's a firing pin safety. Unless you pull the trigger far enough for it to be depressed, the firing pin goes nowhere. Since the trigger isn't heavy enough to carry the trigger bar rearward during a drop, there's no chance of the firing pin moving past the plunger and striking the primer on a chambered round. Bottom line, unless you pull the trigger, the gun won't fire. In my opinion, you're way, way over thinking this.
Thanks for your opinion, and I agree with your signature! haha.

But technically it could fire without pulling the trigger.
Firing pin moves forward and if the FP safety is not working properly it could/would go 'bang'.

Confusion arose once I became aware of the lug/sear engagement issue and characterization by some not calling it a 'safe' firearm if less than 2/3.

It's just 'less safe' without that 2/3 engagement. The sear is more likely to break free from the TB with a dropped pistol than one with greater engagement.

Someone please address the other questions that I had, e.g., questions 1-4, inclusive, and 6.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here's a hypothetical:

1. Assume 50% lug/sear engagement, pistol is dropped, sear drops...will the firing pin move forward despite cruciform sufficiently on the shelves during a prior drop-safety check?

2. Here's another: Assume only 10% lug/sear engagement, pistol is dropped, sear drops...will the firing pin move forward despite cruciform sufficiently on the shelves during a prior drop-safety check?

3. Sorry, but I am somewhat confused by all of this..can the firing pin move forward only when the cruciform falls off the shelves?

4. Or can it move forward in spite of cruciform on the shelves?

And, also, my understanding would be the pistol is double-action and only partially cocked when in battery. Pulling the trigger further cocks the pistol and further compresses the striker spring to make it fully cocked.

6. What percent cocked when pistol is in battery with trigger forward?
^^^^^ Please, anyone.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts