close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock finish ???

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Presscheck40, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Presscheck40

Presscheck40 Presscheck40

Ok don't get me wrong I love my Glocks and carry a Glock on duty and off duty but I have a question. If a Glocks finish is stronger than Diamonds and Chuck Norris why does it fade so fast from normal holster wear?

2. Fragman

Fragman

It ain't the black finish that's tough. It's the Tenifer finish underneath it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. tonyparson

tonyparson

This/\/\...You could sand all the black finish off and it will still be protected by the Tenifer treatment in the metal..

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  4. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

dot.. Also it is said that Glock does not use tenifer for metal treatement anymore. This regurgitated from another thread about glock metal treatment/finishes.

5. Fragman

Fragman

I actually heard something similar. Dunno how accurate it is, but definitely rings a bell. I was kinda using the Tenifer name generically, like Hoover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Fragman

Fragman

Just to add. What I vaguely remember reading is that their new metal hardening finish, the replacement to Tenifer, is some process that does not use cyanide. Like I said though, don't know how accurate that is. Fact remains, the tough finish is underneath the black.

7. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

It's because some of the glock will be or are being built in the states. And of course environment regulations are a lot stricter here.

8. tonyparson

tonyparson

Ya but know one knows how ture this is. If you call Glock they still say they are using Tenifer to treat the slides that are for sale in USA..

9. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

True. In the end I don't really care if it's tenifer or not. I'm sure it'll still compare to industry standards.

10. nyycanseco33

nyycanseco33 Da Fk'n Man

The black finish is a form of parkerized finish, it is durable but will wear away and can be removed... The tenifer is not a finish, it's a metal treatment that increases the hardness of the metal using a series of chemicals... There was rumor that it is no longer being used but I believe it is false but it is not allowed to be performed here in the US due to the volatile chemicals involved but can be done in Austria and have the items imported from there

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

11. KarlThomas

KarlThomas

The glock finish is pretty good, but it does fade. It doesn't bother me, because glocks aren't pieces of art and they don't rust (easily).

You can always get glock to refinish it for you, which isn't too terribly expensive, but I would hold off until it's in really rough shape.