Glock Finish Removal

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ___BuRgLaR___, Sep 13, 2005.

1. ___BuRgLaR___

___BuRgLaR___ Glocktastic

I know it sounds crazy but I wish to remove the black oxide finish from my slide.Can you guys recommend any methods that would be successful without damaging/scratching the slide.I have considered bead-blasting it but I am unsure on whether to do so . Any assistance would be gladly appreciated. Thanks ;z

2. Rob72

Rob72

First question is, "Why?" If you are going to do a polymer finish, just degrease, remove the FP channel liner, spray-n-bake; the extra park layer (the black stuff) adds to your protection. You can get a stainless-look Teflon-moly coat from www.brownells.com and do it in your home oven, if you just don't like the black.

If you want a "silver", glass bead will do it, I just think you'll be unhappy, long-term, with the spot-rust you're likely to see, with the bared Tennifer, if this is a frequent carry gun.

3. ___BuRgLaR___

I'm one of the few people that thinks a glock with a hard chrome/nickel slide is a thing of beauty. I just like the 2 tone look and I'm wondering the easiest way to achieve it without damaging the ingraving. I'm wondering if the glass bead is the way to go in order to strip it my friend has commercial grade plating equipment and could probably do a damn nice job on it. I asked him about stripping the oxide and he said he couldn't think of anything other than muratic acid to do it. That seems a lil too harsh however for me...... I'm looking for something that can get this done as quickly as possible simply because it is a carry gun and I don't want to have to wait 3 weeks for Robar&Similar companies to return it.Although I have considered sending it to be refinished I can't really find anyone around here that specializes in it.Someone on another forum recommended T&A Gun Refinishing in FL.I'm located in Alabama.... Do any of you have have any knowledge on T&A?

4. Rob72

Rob72

If your friend is saying that only acid will remove parkerizing, don't let him work on your pistol! The Tennifer is another story, but I don't know that even the hard-chromers need to remove that, before plating.

Parking is easily removed with glass bead, or AlOx media. I don't know about T&A, but Accurate Palting & Weaponry, Ford's and Tripp Research can all do hard chrome on your slide, for about $40, IIRC. If you want chrome, it would be well worth the wait, for someone who knows gun work to do it, to me.

Again, you can "do-it-yourself", with a matte/med gloss SS/silver Teflon finish from Brownell's. I did a 26 that way, and was reasonably pleased. It won't wear as well as HC, obviously, and the little knicks you get around the ejection port will show "black" after awhile.

5. ___BuRgLaR___

I was just looking at accurate plating and weaponry. Their prices don't look nearly as bad as some of the others I have seen. If I can get a very nice finish on the slide for $100 I'm all for it.

6. BillK@tcmhmrs.o

BillK@tcmhmrs.o

CCR will do you a good two-tone job. I sent them my G36 slide and they put a matte stainless finish on it and the barrel for $49. I sent it via priority mail. If I had to do it again, I would leave the barrel in the black as the scrape on the barrel hood is more noticeable in the stainless than with the black. If you wander what it looks like, it's similar to the dualtone look of a Sig or Taurus Millenium. The slide markings are crisp and it is holding up fine to wear and use as a CCW pocket pistol. No rust at all in over a year of use. (No kiddin, I use a G36 as a pocket pistol - I got big pockets!)