close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock Field Strip Problem

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by mzarem, Sep 1, 2003.

1. mzarem

mzarem

I just bought a Glock 19 and a Glock 30, both NIB. Following the manual, I can field strip the G19 with no problems. But while field stripping the G30, the slide only goes forward about a half inch and the solidly hangs up on something. I don't want to force it. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. GlocksterJeff

GlocksterJeff Glock Armorer

The only ideas that come to mind are the obvious ones: Did you remove the magazine first? After checking to make sure the chamber was empty, did you pull the trigger? (By the way, if you have a non-standard NY1 trigger spring installed, you must keep the trigger pulled all the way back as you move the slide off the frame.)

3. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Sounds like your recoil rod assembly (The end that fits into the "half moon" on the barrel.) is dragging on the inside of your frame’s "dust shield"...

That end is fairly thin & fairly sharp... I've seen this before, especially on the G30's. Eventually it'll stop if that makes you feel better! ;) It won't hurt anything however & will require an amount of somewhat 'forceful' "field strips" before it gets easier.

I've found that aftermarket steel recoil rod assemblies aren't as bad about this as they are a bit thicker in this area.