Glock Field Knife: w/ or w/o root saw?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by willm, Mar 12, 2005.

1. willm

willm

Question:
    Do I get for my nephew:
    The Glock Entrenching Tool and Desert Tan Field Knife ---> with or without the root saw?
    or
    The Glock Entenching Tool and Cold Steel SRK?

(Read on for more info regarding the situation behind the question.)

My nephew is contracted to leave for US Army Boot Camp, Jump and then AIT in Austin, medical related, in early summer.

I recognize that I am unable to give him the gift until after AIT.

I being the good uncle am aniticipating him being deployed after he has finished training and would like to purchase for him a Glock entrenching tool and Field Knife.

I obviously will order the knife in Desert Tan but am wondering about the 'true value' of the root saw.

I had not considered the root saw previously as I was going to originally purchase for him a Cold Steel SRK until considering the Glock Field Knife as a viable alternative.

Before I returned to college I gave him a Emerson CQC7, so he already has a good folder. Although, if my summer employment goes well I am hoping to get him an Emerson Sark or Police Sark.

Thank you!

2. Revvie

Revvie Austrian Glockr

forget the saw.
    get the FM78 version if it has to be a Glock knife.

Better still... get him a Strider BT or MT or MT-10. Will cost a bit more, though. Strider offers a discount for military personnel.

[​IMG]

3. willm

willm

Revvie,

Thanks for the advice about the root saw.
    The Strider is outside of my resources since both my wife and I are full-time students. It is definitely incentive to keep studying though.

So I am down to Desert Tan Glock Field Knife w/o saw or the Cold Steel SRK.

Any more suggestions from anyone.

4. Revvie

Revvie Austrian Glockr

Yeah, one more: get the Glock knife. If it gets lost or stolen he´ll not be too sorry, for it´s cheap to replace. But make sure you put on a decent edge before ypou give it to him. the factory edge is.... ahem.... rudimentary.

5. willm

willm

Revvie,
    Many thanks on your suggestions. I will be ordering the Field Knife Shortly. Additionally, I will pass on the Strider recommendation to some other family members with less restricted budgets.