Glock Field Knife Use

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Sierra, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Sierra

Sierra Millennium Member

What does the Glock Field Knife do well and what does it do poorly? Also, does the blade need to be reprofiled?

2. Rob72

Rob72

It's not a machete...... It will do any hunting-knife style task you want. It's 1095 steel, so it can be pounded (used to split light wood); the coating makes it corrosion proof, with a reasonable wipe down after use; holds it's edge extremely well, and is easy to resharpen. The root saw is handy for snare construction, as a bone saw, etc., if you envision that use.

As with most knives, if you "reconfigure" the blade, you'll most likely remove the heat-treatment. If you want a camp hatchet/knife, I'd look at Becker or TOPS, they both use the same 1095, but in larger, heavier profiles.

3. Glock9mmFan

Glock9mmFan VoteLibertarian

IMO, the Glock knife is junk. I spent forever trying to put a decent edge on it, it's just crappy steel. Yeah... the blade is long... and the handle/sheath are cool. I just can't deal with the crappy blade.

4. Rob72

Rob72

I use a diamond rod to field sharpen, so I never had trouble with that. It's a lot shorter than my CS Kukhri that I use for clearing underbrush.....;f

5. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

I love mine. I think it is in every way superior to the Cold Steel SRK only that it is not as sharp out of the box and probably never will be. But i would trust the Glock knife before the CS SRK.