close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GLOCK Field Knife 78

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by gmckinl, Jan 16, 2005.

1. gmckinl

gmckinl

Which version is the actual "Austrian issue"? Black, OD, tan, smooth back, saw back, etc?

2. Revvie

Revvie Austrian Glockr

It´s the FM78, that means smooth back (the Jagdkommando is issued the 81 with the sawback, though), all in olive drab or whatever the greenish color is called.

3. Revvie

Revvie Austrian Glockr

4. Terry Newton

Terry Newton

Revvie,

May I use the horse pic on a horse forum?

Thanks.

Terry

5. Revvie

Revvie Austrian Glockr

Sure, but there might be better ones on www.bundesheer.at
    Glad you like them. These Horses are called Haflinger, they are very friendly and sturdy small horses, perfectly suited for our mountain troops in the Alps.

here´s some emore:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Terry Newton

Terry Newton

Haflingers are a well respected breed in the U.S. There is a breeder about 30 minutes drive from my house.

While smaller framed than your average draft horse, they are known to be capable of doing some work. I am sure the Austrian Alpinists are happy with their performance.

Did you notice the Austrians are still using a variant of the old tried and true MG42?

I am surprised they are using the Glock knife, however. I am just not that crazy about it. I would probably have a different tune if it came with a decent, workable edge.

Still, for the price, that is nothing you could not fix with a file.

7. Revvie

Revvie Austrian Glockr

It´s called the MG74 and surely outperforms the american M60 :)

It´s basically a MG42, but with the cadence reduced to 700-800 rounds/min. and equipped with a plastic buttstock. it´s a good workhorse, too :)

8. gordonfactor

gordonfactor

Hey Revvie, thanks a bunch for the pictures of some of Austria's best. I have a some questions for you though.

What is the "Jagdkommando"? I have both versions of Mr. Glock's knife, a black model 81 w/the saw, and a green model 78, which is if I read you right, the official Austrian Army issue.

Also, do you have any opinions on the saw on the back of the 81? What is it good at, what was it designed for?

I like both versions of the knife very much. I put a lot of use on my model 81 in my frequent trips to the wooded areas of New England. It has served me well and I'd like to hear some of you thoughts.

Thank you and Glock-On!

9. Leigh

Leigh

I've opwned one (with root sawback blade) and a capable/decent 30.00 knife though I felt it lacked the belly of a comparable Ka-Bar type blade. Nice pics, although inverted carry of your primary combat/field knife WILL (eventually) leave you without one (especially with the single plastic retention device on Glock's scabbard). I've carried a blade on suspenders/LBE when my belt was crammed with too many ammo pouches/canteens but not inverted.

10. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

The Germans have used the basic MG42 design since 1942, they converted it to fire 7.62 Nato and gave it a plastic stock and now call it the MG3, but it's the same basic gun. Still perfectly viable, and the Germans aren't the only ones who still use it, the MG3 is a fairly popular GPMG around the world. I've seen pics of it in use in Africa and other places.

11. Revvie

Revvie Austrian Glockr

The Jagdkommando is our Commando unit, capable of diving, jumping, counter-terrorist action, guerilla tactics and whatnot. Think of it as a conglomerate of SEALs, SF and Rangers. There are not many of them though, for it is really hard to pass the tests.
    They are tough guys, scary like ****.
    The FM81´s saw is rather a "file" IMHO. you can make a groove into wood to fix lines to it or so. Maybe it was thought as a saw, but there are better options available. Still... it´s not bad if you have it.

here are some pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These carry MG74.