close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock Fear

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by nglckwetrst, Apr 2, 2003.

1. nglckwetrst

nglckwetrst Mastermind

I should start off by saying I am an avid Glock owner and lover. I have two boys one almost a year old and another at two months old in .40 (27) and .45 (21) :) that I love dearly. How do you guys account for the malfunctions of a number of Glock Pistols? After stumbling upon a few stories of personal malfunctions and breakages as well as departmentally issued weapons failing, I am momentarily disenfranchised. I suppose every business has a few bad apples manufactured and operator abuse can create a host of problems. Some reassurance please?

AJ

2. Steve Koski

Steve Koski Got Insurance? Millennium Member

There's lots of Glock failure stories 'cuz there are lots of Glocks. If the world were packed full of Sigs, S&W, or anythign else, you'd hear more stories about them having problems too. Everything breaks some times. I've had a couple breakages myself. But I'm sure something similar, or worse, would have happened with any other brand pistol after 20,000+ rounds.

Check your gun, use good ammo.

3. Glockster_James

Glockster_James Man W/ A Badge

Nothing man made is perfect, but as many have said, Glock is close to it. And like said in previous post, many Glocks out there and so you just hear a small percentage of stories. I've got a G19 with about 2,000 rounds through it and one jam cause of firing dirty ammo and failure to clean it. Had I ran a brush or something every couple hundred rounds, never would have had a problem. And just got a new G26 yesterday and put 100 rounds through it last night without a hicup. I have no doubt that these guns will function 100% every time I need them to. If you've lost any faith in your gun, need to get it back ASAP cause if you don't, your mind will play games with you even at the range and things will stop going right. So regain the faith you've had quickly. Take care and enjoy your guns. ;I

4. Sgt Tim USA

Sgt Tim USA 1 Shot 1 Kill

Hey every manufacturer of something has their problemS. Some more than others. You have to really worry when a company manipulates a market then they really don't give a sh*t about their customers.

5. TedG

TedG Infidel USA

Saturday
    G30
    500 rounds
    Perfect

Sunday
    G30
    500 rounds
    Perfect

Fifteen years ago, I heard about a car that was going down the road, and the steering broke, and the car went out of control and crashed.

I haven't gotten in a car ever since.

;f You have nothing to fear, but fear itself.

6. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

My G19, purchased in December 1996, now has over 42K rounds fired through it. Still has all the original factory internals. Never a problem. It will go 200 rounds in practice on Friday and 100 rounds in an IDPA match on Saturday. My other Glocks are equally reliable.

7. spetsnaz777

spetsnaz777 Team 9mmx19

Glock 17- purchased new in January 2001

26,000 rds thru it with ZERO malfunctions. 4,000 rounds between cleanings.

Awesome gun:)

8. nglckwetrst

nglckwetrst Mastermind

All of your remarks make pretty good sense. The more items in circulation the greater probably of a few bad appples. It was a little disheartening to see a few departments switch from glocks to something else- it usually happens the other way around. At what point should I be prepared to do some preventive stuff?

Thanks
    AJ

9. Poohgyrr

Poohgyrr GEC #15 sheepsfoot

Beneath the old oak tree at Sutter's Fort
    The car post really brought it home. Actually, eating carrots has been proven unsafe- a Gov't funded study proved that every person born in the years 1715 to 1865 who ate carrots has died. eating carrots must be unsafe. ;g

And I remember lots of "accidents" with revolvers back when they owned the pistol market. And ".38 Super face" from IPSC competition a few yars back. Some activities just demand our attention.

10. cheygriz

cheygriz Venerable Elder

I would trust my life to my Glock 17 before any other handgun that I own, or have ever owned. 'Nuff said!

11. Pred8tory

Pred8tory Retired Copper Lifetime Member

I've been an LEO for over 28 years. In that span of time I've carried 5 duty guns. A Smith and Wesson Model 28 Highway Patrolman, a Smith and Wesson Model 66, a Sig P-228, a Sig P-220 and now a Glock 19. The only handgun that I ever heard of blowing up that I can verify, was a Sig P-226, department-owned, on our range, with factory ammunition. Nobody got hurt. I think it can happen with any brand. Keep it clean, avoid reloads, especially lead bullets and forget about it.

12. Squadman

Squadman CRUNCH CuTTER

M33 7000 rounds, 1 FTF, operator error, M35 3000 rounds, no malfunction. Both stock original parts. Can't complain with mine. squadman

13. xcia

xcia

Interesting. People don't buy Glocks because they are pretty, target accurate, cheap. People buy Glocks because they are the most reliable pistol made at any price. Very interesting.

14. Guessinator

Guessinator

The second IDPA match I ever attended I saw a Glock jam a couple of times. I suspect it was reloads, but I don't know. I saw 2-3 1911's jam. I know they were shooting reloads.

All brands can jam. If you shoot factory ammunition and maintain your gun, it may be a long time before you ever see one.

I've owned my G22 for about several years and never had a jam. The same goes for my G26. I've never had one on either of my 1911's. I don't shoot as often as I'd like though.

15. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

DO not put alot of faith in a story cause it might be just that, I had a 35 go boom on me and the first thing out of the ROs mouth is DAMM Glocks but HE did not know the hole story, what happend is that I reload and the power mesure broke and I was unaware and was loading 6.5 grains TiteGroup ;P that would have tron up any gun so like the old atage don't beleave what you here till you know the facts !!! Sniper

16. Quake Guy

Quake Guy Superior Member

The Glock is the most reliable pistol currently made. The End.

However, .40 S&W do suffer from oversize chambers and are sensitive to overloaded ammo.

Buy a 9mm and never worry again...

17. MuRDoC

MuRDoC

don't worry about 40cals just don't buy cheap ammo and don't shoot reloads, my range charges a dollar more for their reloads than brand new umc ammo, any gun has there problems but if you take care of it, it will take care of you

check out the pic of this 1911

18. Pred8tory

Pred8tory Retired Copper Lifetime Member

19. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

*QUTOE*
    don't shoot reloads

Hmmmm, 7M reloads thru my G23 and not a failure. Maybe I got the 50 MPG Glock and Gaston will insist on buying it back for $5000.

As in: Remember the old 50 MPG carburator stories.

20. Quake Guy

Quake Guy Superior Member

Don't shoot someone else's reloads...