Glock factory sights - - what do you think?

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers/Lights' started by wvtarheel, Feb 25, 2013.

1. wvtarheel

wvtarheel

OK guys, I have a G19/4, stock sights on it (ball in the bucket style). I am reading threads/blogs on accuracy, and inevitably people suggest changing the sights.

Here are my questions to the group:

1. Will after market sights improve a shooter's ability to shoot accurately?

2. If so, why? What is so bad about the glock factory sights, and what makes the after-market sights better?

3. If you prefer a certain aftermarket sight for glock pistols, please tell us which one and why.

2. b_oglethorpe

b_oglethorpe

I like them but I put night sites on all mine.

Also if it is a carry piece, you may want steal sites. When I was a young man and I first carried. It was a glock 23 with stock sites. I'm very active, and that thing would smack into everything. Eventually the back sites got so beat up they would move around. I could just push them back into place.

If you can afford it get some steal night sites.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. JimD303

JimD303

Problems with the factory sights include durability, the width of the front sight post/ rear notch, and the dot on the front sight post.

Durability is self explanatory, they don't take abuse well.

The thick white line on the rear is largely distracting and takes attention from the front sight, where it belongs.

The width of the front sight is too wide for the rear notch. There is almost no light peeking through the sides of the post into the notch... this greatly impacts speed, which is why sights like Ameriglo, Heinie, Warrens, or Dawsons all have "wide notch" options, or just ship that way normally.

The ball on the front sight post is too big/ low on the post. To align the top edges of the front and rear sight, you'll normally cut off the bottom of the circle with the notch... leading to even more of these "my gun shoots high" comments.

Sights are personal preference, I've literally used most sights available on the market. Meprolight and Trijicon 3-dots, XS Big Dots, Ameriglo Defoor's, Warren Tacticals, 10-8, Dan Burwell's M&P rear, Novaks, Ameriglo CAPs, Fiber optics, Dawson adjustables, Ameriglo Suppressor height, etc.

I've settled on the Ameriglo CAP's for my carry guns, and Ameriglo or Dawson/ Warren fiber optics for my competition guns (USPSA/ IDPA).

4. rudybunt

rudybunt

I think it is a preference. I do not like the stock white sights in white. I prefer the Glock factory night sights made by meprolight. My reason is the 3 dots. I dont like that U shaped rear sight. That was the first thing I did to my G26 the first week I had it. I have the lasrmax laser installed and never use it dur to a good set of night sights.

5. rudybunt

rudybunt

I never thought of it that way but way true..

6. GThirtyTwo

GThirtyTwo Amor patriae

Just don't steal your steel sights.

7. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I wouldn't say aftermarket sights would make you "more accurate". If you are shooting slow, controlled groups, the stock sights are sufficient for that.

The problems with the stock sights (my opinion)
    1) Are plastic and probably not as durable as steel. Especially when I bought my first G17 in 2009, they were still using a STAKED front sight, instead of a bolt. That stake could pull out if sight was hit against something (I shot IDPA matches at that time)

2) As said, that line around the rear sight is just distracting

3) The size of the gap in the rear sight is basically the same width as the front sight. This is actually good for pure accuracy, not so good for competitions where speed is essential. Most run a thinner front sight in competitions.

Most competition guys I see run an all black rear. Some (like me) even an all black front, but lots use a fiber optic front (all 3 of my shooting buddies do). We all run the Sevigny Competition sights, we just choose a different front blade.

Sights are a personal preference. But if you're not getting tight groups right now, don't blame it on the sights, you just need more practice.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  8. s0nspark

s0nspark Talk is cheap!

My two cents?

The stock sights suffer most from a lack of durability. Also they are a lot less precise than, say, a set of Warren Tacticals...

Sights are one of the most personal choices you make with your guns, though. Very subjective subject and what works great for others may not work for you! ;)

9. 153

Indeed it is all personal preference, I tried alot of different options; XS, Defoor, Truglo and ended up back with factory sights.

I did upgrade to the Glock steel sights though.

10. s0nspark

s0nspark Talk is cheap!

My problem has typically been that I find anything but plain rear sights distracting and that I tend to aim with the dot on the front sight rather than the top edge which can throw off my shots, especially at distance.

The Warren Tacticals work well for me - mainly because the fiber optic dot is small and located very close to the top of the front sight.

I went through a truckload of other sights to learn all this though!.

11. moonwilson

moonwilson

The stock plastic sights aren't great. I don't mins the "ball in the bucket" arrangement, but the plastic is not very tough and is easily damaged. I have squished the front sight post on a couple of my guns to the point that I had to change my point of aim to compensate for it. I always switch out the plastic sights with factory night sights, which I find to be superior in every way. It would be interesting to try a steel factory rear sight with a front night sight post.

And yes, I do find that I hit a bit better with the night sights compared to the factory plastic ones. It's much easier and faster to get a good sight picture with the night sights. You can do precision work with the plastic sights, you just have to try harder to do so.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  12. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

Unless things have changed recently, the factory night sights use far less tritium than most aftermarket ones. It is the difference between a five year rating and a twelve year rating.

13. armorer1911

armorer1911

I could show you a few yellowed, well worn surface of the factory polymer sights that I've pulled off of other guns carried for a moderate time. These polymer sights get rounded, gouged corners and worn pretty bad with a yellow tint from oils/solvents. Trijicon Nights, Meprolight Nights are the way to go, and if you want to save money, Glock Factory Steel Sights will cure those weakness. I've yet to see a gun with plymer sights that went a full twenty years - I would hate to see how those sights would look? I dare not think........ ARMORER1911

14. jdw174

jdw174

The white on stock sights front and rear tend to just become one "blurb" to me, and they're the pits in competition (IDPA). I opted for a set of the Warren Tacticals with the .150 rear, .215 high front x .115 wide front w/FO insert. So far, me likee.....

15. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

anybody heard of Butch?

The guy that has won the Gunny multiple times?

He seems to do well with factory sights.

So it may well be the shooter not the sights.

16. s0nspark

s0nspark Talk is cheap!

Well... it is *always* the shooter... but having sights that work well for the shooter goes a long way to help them shoot their best.

17. jdw174

jdw174

Or it may be the individual shooter's eyes.......

18. CigarandScotch

CigarandScotch Fartacus

I like them, but I'm in the minority. That's OK, most of my friends have changed theirs and I have had chances to try them out, and I still shoot better with mine. I especially like the "follow the bouncing ball" movement when shooting strings at plates...it just seems natural to me to press the trigger when I see the ball land in the cup. Your mileage may vary.

(Funny thing is, I also shoot my buddies' configurations better than they can shoot their own, but still prefer mine.)

19. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  20. Clemson Fan

Clemson Fan

I have a 23 year old G22 with stock sights. LE trade in and the stock sights look brand new
    have