close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock factory re-furb question

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by wj-operator, Jul 16, 2004.

1. wj-operator

wj-operator

I've got a G20 that is about 13 years old. The recoil spring is weak enough that if I jerk my hand backwards or forwards quick enough, the slide will move out of battery a bit, and "clank" back home. I figure it may be a good idea to have the whole pistol gone through, rather than just throwing a new recoil spring in there. I've been told that if I send it to Glock in GA, they will go through the whole thing, replacing whatever needs replacing to bring her back to new specs, as well as adding any updated parts, for very small cost. I was just curious to hear from some who have had them do this, as far as how long they had the pistol, how much it cost, what they did, etc. Also, typically how much an FFL holder/store would charge to ship it out and receive it for me when it's done?

2. Wicked96SS

Wicked96SS Typical Gun Nut Millennium Member

I was having a feeding problem with my 12 year old G21. I sent it back to Smyrna GA, they replaced EVERY internal part (excluding the barrel), cut the 15 degree ejection port, rebuilt my preban magazines, and refinished the slide. Sent it back to me in 3 weeks. Total cost out of pocket was $0.00... They said it was "Warranty" work... been 100% since then (about 6 months).

I am not sure what they actually charge to do the work, but they didn't charge me a dime. Might have been because I sent it in with a problem. Might want to try that...

Give them a call, they have always been very receptive to answering questions over the phone... 770 - 432 1202

3. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

Only expense you'll have is getting the G20 to Glock/Smyrna. The G20 doesn't qualify for the breechcut upgrade like the G21, but you will get any upgrades free. They will rebuild your pre-ban mags, also free, and they'll pay for return shipping.

4. 4eyes

4eyes Provocateur

It is not necessary for you to ship through a FFL holder. You own the pistol. Ship it to Glock yourself. Glock will ship it back to you. Several threads on here about best/least costly methods.

5. CaliTheKid

CaliTheKid

I sent my g19 to Glock for upgrades and got it back round trip in seven days. Just remember do NOT use the US Postal service for shipping. I used Fed Ex.

6. CCV

CCV Millennium Member

I've used FEDEX and UPS for this kind of thing (prefer FEDEX).

CaliTheKid is correct about the USPS. It is a violation of Postal Regulations to ship a hangun.

7. VN350X10

VN350X10

Correct, only a FFL or a LEO can ship handguns thru the post office. Saw that you were from the peoples republik of Mass. so I'm not sure if you can ship yourself or not. Other states permit shipping & rec'vng handguns from owner to mfgr. or gunsmith for repair or customizing.

uncle albert

8. VN350X10

VN350X10

Sorry forgot to add

USE FEDEX ONLY

also spec that they return by FEDEX, this way the gun gets there & you get it back. UPS "looses" more guns to employee theft than they will EVER admit.

u.a.

9. lm921

lm921 The Stampede

I sent mine in about two weeks ago and i got mine back in 8 days and they replace everything inside except the barrel.
    (I am a leo so that may be why i got mine back so fast)
    Shipping by fedx or ups has to be overnight.
    Its there rule but it only cost 27 bucks with insurance.
    I shipped mine by ups and they always include a track number so there should be no prob but others here may have had trouble with ups,
    I did not however :) eather way you will have a like new gun and they even shipped a sticker with mine :)

10. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Sláinte !

Should I look into sending my 17 in for a "checkup" it was made in 1989. Seems to be working fine. Also, is this work still free if you are not the original owner?

11. CCV

CCV Millennium Member

If it is working just shoot it!

12. TrooperDan

TrooperDan

I have to add; if there is a GSSF match anywhere near you, sign up and shoot the match! Glock will have an armorer there that will go through your gun... for free! Heck, he will even clean it for you if you've been lazy and "haven't gotten around to it"! The match is only $25 and I promise you will have a great time, even if you've never competed before! A great friendly bunch of folks!

Dan in NC

13. CCV

CCV Millennium Member

Good advice.