Glock Factory Night Sights, or Not?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Wasatch, May 24, 2007.

1. Wasatch

Wasatch back again

I'm wondering about Glock's factory-installed night sights. They add about $70 to the cost of the G19 I'm looking at. Are they made by Glock? If not, who makes them? Regardless, are they worth the extra up-front cost, or should I get an after-market brand?

If after-market is your suggestion, what would you recommend, and how much do your recommended sights cost?

Thanks for the help. :thumbsup:

2. RayB

RayB Retired Member

I like the ones on my G21! They're made by Meprolight, for Glock. The front sight is staked on, which is something some people don't like, but has given no problems in over 6000-rounds!

It should be noted that I do not routinely holster this gun.

The sights were dead-on, right out of the box.

They are the brightest night sights I have, compared with Trijicon and XS.

--Ray

3. GSD17

GSD17 Thread Killer

The next 1000 posts will be bashing the GNS.

I have the GNS on both my G22 and my G27. The G22 is my LEO duty weapon. The G27 is my LEO backup. Both worn daily. Both shot very regularly. Both carried on duty, and one or the other is carried off duty. They both get carried open, concealed, in vehicles, in holsters that cover the front sight, and holsters that expose the front sight. They both get cleaned alot.

I have yet to have a front sight come loose.

The inserts are made my Mepro. The bodies themselves are stamped with the "G" logo.

I love them.

The way I see it, if the front sight falls off, they are warrantied for over a decade. I know first hand that GLOCK has excellent customer service, and really stands behind anything they make.

Worst case scenario, I have to buy a new front sight... big whoop.

Come to think of it, I hear the constant complaining about GLOCK's other factory front sights falling off... all of my other 6 GLOCKs have factory plastic front sights. Original ones. I have yet to replace one of them. I do shoot (some more than others), and from time to time carry (The G27 and G22 have put a dent in the others' usage now) all of them. With exception to the G37, I just haven't gotten around to shooting it.

But I am still running 8 100% stock GLOCK pistols, and have been for about 7 years now.

Just my humble opinion, YMMV.

Take care:wavey:

4. Ganesh

Ganesh Okie 4 Life

All the ones that ive seen that were factory Glock night sites were made by Meprolight. I thought about gettin them on my G-27. But I figured id just wait and buy aftermarket Tru-Glo TFOs. I like the idea of fiber optic brightness for daytime and tritium for night use. From what ive seen they seem to be the brightest in both departments....someone posted a photo of various types includin the TFOs here before.:thumbsup:

5. Luggage

Luggage Guest

I went ahead and bought my G23 with the stock night sights...they're legit in my opinion. It added an extra $69 to my purchase. I think it was worth it.

6. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

I have factories that were installed by the guys at my range. After thousnads of rounds and holstering, they are just fine.

7. G19cPH

G19cPH

Trijicon's for me.

8. cmcinc

cmcinc

Got them on my G27. It has been holstered many times and fired numerous rounds and the front sight is still dead on. They are very bright. No problems with my Glock night sights.

9. cmcinc

cmcinc

oops hit quote as opposed to edit.

10. Stance

Stance Guest

My G19 Pro came with Glock night sights, no problems and they were dead-on. Don't know what all that bashing is about. :headscratch:

11. JonInWA

JonInWA

While the Mepros are an excellent sight, given a choice, for sight durability I think that you're better off with a screwed-on/Locktited front sight than a staked-on set-up. My vote would be for Trijicons.

Best, Jon

12. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

I like Heinie's. The three-dot horizontal is slower for me than two-dots vertical. Don't know if it is true with everyone but I've read that orienting things vertically is easier for the brain than horizontally - it sure seems true in my case.

13. Smitty53

Smitty53 Guest

I have the Glock night sights on my g-23 and they work great. In fact I was at the range last night and shut off most of the lights to test them out. They were really easy to see and find.

14. rfd339

rfd339 Silver Member

i have gns on my g21 sense 2003, no problems.

15. rdmtbiker

rdmtbiker On The Road....

+1000000.....

I have the factory night sights on my G19, G23, G32 and G30.

They are very bright.

You can spend more for night sights, but why would you.???

:supergrin:

16. jhc37013

jhc37013

Get some aftermarkets I never like the quality to muck of the factory's.

17. G. Gunman

G. Gunman Draw Varmint!

:) Aftermarket Meprolights DO use a screw-on front sight. I'd rather use aftermarket over Glock factory anytime.

(Besides when Glock, first, came out with their own proprietary night sights they forced me to accept their crappy dull, 'factory brand' instead of the original brilliant Meprolight front sight they replaced.)

A local gunsmith took one look at my new crappy Glock night sight, laughed, punched the front sight off my G-21 and gave me a new Meprolight at wholesale cost. I'm done with Glock night sights; (Even if they have improved) and I'm, also, finished with crimped on front sights - Which never stayed put on my G-21, anyway. ;)

18. Wasatch

Wasatch back again

Many thanks for everyone's input. I'll have to look at Tru-Glo's TFOs. Otherwise, it sounds like the factory sights will not leave me wanting.

Thanks again

Patronus