Glock factory n/s?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Warhorse, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Warhorse

Warhorse

I originaly posted this in the general Glock section and only received one response. After 1900 rnds, my staked on, Glock factory front night sight has shot loose, it has not fallen off yet, but it is wiggly. Should I buy a Glock front sight stakeing tool, and attempt to restake it myself? Or should I just chaulk it up as a learning experiance and have Mepros installed?

2. captyg76

captyg76 Member

No need to replace the entire set. Recommend buying a screw on Mepro front sight. Forget staked front sights.

3. Warhorse

Warhorse

How do I remove the old staked on front sight with out doing any damage? Where do I find just the front sight, and do I order it just based on model #? Thanks

4. boze2043

boze2043

I would call Glock to see if they would swap it out for one that is a screw in type or whatever that other one is. They stock meprolight and trijecon and might be willing to replace yours at no cost.

5. Warhorse

Warhorse

Duh! Good idea, the pistol is only two years old. I will call them in the A.M.!

6. h2o-5o

h2o-5o Owned by Pugs

To remove it, get some needlenosed pliers, grab the sight above the slide, twist and pull.

If instead of replacing it, you would like to salvage it, get some red loctite and apply around it. Make sure you get it centered before it sets.

I personally cannot stand the stake-on sights, won't install them, don't recommend them. I will only put on the screw-on types from Trijicon and Meprolight, as well as a few other off-brands.

7. Glock4Life

Glock4Life

Pull it off with a pliers and order a front. Agree with using a nutted front sight, it's the only way to go. You can install it yourself with a thin-walled nutdriver and a drop of loctite on the threads if you so desire. Total time for install is 5 minutes, then let it set up overnight.

8. Warhorse

Warhorse

Thanks everyone, I did as boze2043 suggested, and called Glock. They are paying the shipping both ways, my choices were to have them restake the existing front sight, or pay the difference of $15.00 in the price of the sights, and install trijicon n/s front and rear, the trijicon front is a screw and nut mount. I opted to pay the $15.00 and go with the trijicons because of the front sight mount. Seems like a good company to do business with. I'm confident that they will do a good job.

9. Glock4Life

Glock4Life

Wise choice on the Trij sights. I heard Glock was changing over to Trij's and evidently you're on the winning end, especially since they're paying shipping both ways. That's a new one on me! Enjoy your new sights and let us know how long it takes to get your piece back. I've heard several people state recently that they got their guns back in smokin fast time. Seems like maybe Glock is on an extra fast and freindly customer service kick lately. Wasn't bad before IMO, but alot of stories about rediculously prompt and efficient stories lately.

10. Warhorse

Warhorse

Update...On 07/19/05 UPS picked up my slide, Glock received the slide on 07/22/05, UPS delivered the slide 07/29/05 but didn't leave it, because no one was home to sign for it. It will be delivered again this Monday. That is fantastic customer service in my opinion. Thanks again boze2043 for suggesting calling Glock.

11. boze2043

boze2043

Any time. Glock takes customer service to a new level. Their agreeing to pay frieght both ways is a first that I have heard of. I have sent other manufacturers guns back for service and I had to pay the frieght to get it there.

12. Warhorse

Warhorse

I took the G23 out to the range and put 150 rnds thru it, they did a good job installing the sights. When I cleaned the gun that night I was suprised that the bore cleaner I was using [shooters choice], took the white letters on the new sights right off. Is this normal? I think it looks better with the lettering off anyway, but I'm just curious if this is normal.

13. jcmios

jcmios

Their is s alight difference in height size between the Mepro screw on front and the Glock stake on. The Mepro is a little taller, but you van secure the Glock front by buying some Loc Tite sleeve retaining compound and letting it ooze through and around the sight, then take an air hose and lightly blast it in and around the staked sight. Then wipe off the extra and let sit over night. I have fixed 4 or 5 guns like this and they have been solid ever since. I have since bought the Glock tool for $25.00 and fixed them with a tighter crimp and sleeve retaining compound.

Jim