close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock Extractor Question

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Catbird, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

I am hoping to get an answer from someone who has experience with this specific question -

I have a G22 with its stock .40 bbl. and aftermarket 357SIG bbl. and 9mm conversion bbl. When shooting 9mms, it functions just fine 98-99% of the time. In my quest for perfection, I was wondering about something...

Hypothetically, if I replace the stock extractor with a G17 extractor while shooting 9mms, what will happen if I choose to leave the G17 extractor in place and attempt to shoot .40 (yes, w/ the .40 bbl. :))?
    Will the claw fail to engage the .40's case rim?

I don't know, but I would guess (I haven't looked) that the 9mm extractor has a more pronounced claw. Is it feasible to modify this G17 extractor by reducing the claw size and/or angle a tad to create a compromise extractor?

Any comments or ideas to contribute?

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

John,

I'm not sure the 15% 9mm extractor will fit the 15%/5% cut in your 40.. Might do just fine. If you have a fax, e-mail me the number and I'll fax the photo.

3. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

Danny -
    Before you go to all that trouble, is the G17 extractor the same as that found on the *G19, *G26, etc.? If so, I have both (*) of those here to look at. Thanks.

4. Glock-N-Fun

Glock-N-Fun

catbird,

The 9mm & 10mm extractors are the same,the 40,357 and 45 are the same.The bottom of the extractor face hook is open 5 degree's more at the bottom on the 40 than on the 9mm,to improve feeding and extraction you can use a 9mm extractor.If you need just a tad more pressure on the case you can file just a minimal amount of metal off the extractor were it rest on the inside of the slot on the slide to bring the hook closer to the case which will increase the pressure on the case.If you really study and understand the extrator you can probably fit/modify a 9mm extractor to work 100% with 40's and 9mm's.
    Although some claim to get 100% reliability with the 40 extractor, it depends on the individual barrel and gun.

5. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

John,

I have 4 pages of imformation all printed out just for you.

A current G17 extractor is the same as a current G19, G26 & G34 extractor. Earlier models differed.

6. Glock-N-Fun

Glock-N-Fun

Cat,

Take Danny up on the offer if you can,the earlier extractors are at 90% angle when viewing at the top of the slide,the later extractors and slide have a 15% angle when viewing from the top,and the very latest of course have the loaded chamber indicator bump.

7. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

Danny -
    That's very nice of you! I'm going to e-mail my fax # to you in the next 10 mins. Thanks. BTW, my G19 is from the mid 1980s and my G26 is from the mid 1990s.

8. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

Danny -
    I received your fax. Excellent information...just what I needed.
    Thank you!