close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GLOCK EXTENDED MAG RELEASE in IDPA

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by MarkP, Aug 3, 2004.

1. MarkP

MarkP

this issue of EMR's came up in Ken's G19 thread.
    Turn to the FAQ section in your LGB hymnal :

Ephasis is mine.

Do you know of anyone that was denied participation in a sanctioned match because he/she had the stock EMR in place on a G34 or 35 ?

2. dukeofurl

dukeofurl

Nope. Frankly I've seen MD's who care less.

People will not follow a rule they view as stupid. e.g. 21st amendment

EDIT: FWIW, I mailed a letter to Bill Wilson this morning. Here's an excerpt.

...the rulebook allows extended magazine releases for Kimber's and other well equipped 1911 models on the grounds that they are still short enough that they are practical for everyday carry. I know that the Sig GSR has a magazine release that is clearly larger than that of a stock 1911 and IDPA has not published a ruling barring them. I don’t know how other shooters will take it, but a Glock factory extended magazine release is perfect for those who have a marginal amount of trouble engaging the stock part on the clock. The extended release (Factory Glock 21/20 stock part) is also short and practical enough for carry. The other part of my argument for the allowance of an extended Glock magazine release is that Glock has produced two types of pre ban magazines – full metal lined and non-full metal lined. More often than not, they are respectively described as “drop free” and “non drop free”. For the non-Glock experts, a non-full metal lined magazine will not drop free. A full metal lined magazine will drop free when it feels like it. I have owned full metal lined pre ban magazines that drop free in gun A, but not gun B. Some drop free in gun B, and the same will not in gun C and somehow works in gun A.

I’m certain that you can see where I'm going with this. A full metal lining does not a drop free magazine make, while the use of pre ban magazines for carry is a very popular option that many IDPA shooters exercise as they “use what they carry”. I believe that an extended magazine release – not unlike that of the Kimber and Sig GSR production models, allows the shooter to better exert force on the physical release of the magazine catch and facilitate the removal of a magazine that hesitates to drop free regardless of lining type. I judiciously believe this comes with insignificant - if any, competitive advantage.

3. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Of all teh IDPA matches I went including club, majors and a few nationals only once did I see a proper equipment inspection and that was at the AZ state a few years ago.

4. AggieMax

AggieMax DFW sheepdog

I just recently called the IDPA HQ and asked about the extended mag release. It is legal to add the extended mag release to Glocks and compete in SSP/ESP. I am going to add one to my G17. If you don't believe me (it's ok because I didn't believe the person who told me), please feel free to call them.

In addition, apparently a new rule book will cover this new allowance.

5. Mayonaise

Mayonaise

6. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

The taller magazine catch is now considered a factory option and is allowed in IDPA.
    The LGB is out of date and everything is being run on e-mails and phone calls with the force of rules. Better get along with Dru.

7. eljay45

eljay45 NRA member

That kind of bites for people trying to run the game by the rules.

8. Bullitt

Bullitt

At the 2003 IDPA Nationals, a guy in my squad was dinged for this and asked to remove the offending part (EMR) or be disqualified. He made a quick change and was back in action. He was using a Glock 22. G34 and G35 are legal, because the come stock this way.

9. agalb

agalb COD4!!!

Amen to that. As far as I am concerned, the LGB is the law. I realize that there are some things that need to be decided that aren't in there (like which division does the XD shoot in, etc.) but I will be damned if I follow a rule change emailed from HQ CONTRADICTING a rule in the LGB. If they want to change the rules print a new ****ing book!

10. dukeofurl

dukeofurl

What the hell is an "LGB"?

11. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

Duke,'
    LGB is the idpa version of the uspsa "Red Book" (rule book). In an attempt to keep their game different from uspsa, they used a "little green book". That way you don't get the two mixed up ;Q Seems they aren't keeping up with the additions very well & the lgb is way out of date, though. As far as I know, you can't go anywhere (even online) & get updated on the additions. You kind of have to go by what someone says or contact idpa directly & hope you get the same answer someone else did. MLM

12. eljay45

eljay45 NRA member

Not really true. The last IDPA rule book was the little red book. They didn't change it just for color.

13. dukeofurl

dukeofurl

AH! I have enough of those things lying around.

They arent keeping up with the printings PLUS I perfer reading the USPSA rulebook because everything is in a statutory indexed format. The IDPA rulebook is like a perpetual internet forum FAQ.

14. murph2127

murph2127

FWIW, the extended magazine releases were ALWAYS legal on the 34 & 35 as the gun came that way.

The other glocks were permitted more recently.

I asked a shooter to get rid of an extended mag relese (before the match started shooting) at nats last year, but his was an aftermarket paddle type mag release, and not the glock extended release.

Ted