Glock "double" trigger pull?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ER_STL, Aug 2, 2007.

1. ER_STL

ER_STL

I posted in another thread that some Glocks have a double pull, where the initial takeup is at one resistance but as soon as the striker safety is engaged, the weight of the pull increases. I tried a few newer Glocks at the local shop and they did NOT have this problem at all. The pull on those two triggers was smooth and consistent.

Does anyone else have this problem with their Glocks? Mine is pretty bad and while it's not a hinderance, it is definitely annoying. It's obvious enough that I can slowly pull the trigger and I will stick at the point where the trigger bar engages the safety. I'll stay there until I increase the pull and then the trigger will follow through with the rest of its takeup until it hits the connector.

I've run through about everything I can think of that would cause the problem. It's definitely related to the point where the trigger bar pushes the safety down, but I can't figure out why it's increasing the weight of the pull by as much as it is. I've replaced the safety spring, cleaned everything, polished the safety entirely...nothing matters. As an FYI, my trigger has well over 10k pulls on it.

Any ideas?

Oh yeah - I want to take a moment to thank Randy Smith on this site for his patient help. He's been a great source for knowledge and troubleshooting.

2. GSD17

GSD17 Thread Killer

Sounds like an 8lb connector and you are used to a 5lb connector.

3. ER_STL

ER_STL

My Glock is entirely OEM. I don't remember my trigger always having a secondary pull that is this obvious so I'm wondering if I've changed something as I've broken down the entire gun.

Again, the second pull occurs as soon as the safety is engaged, well before the trigger bar hits the connector.

4. GSD17

GSD17 Thread Killer

Ok, I see what you are saying...

btw, GLOCKs can and do come with 8lb connectors factory from time to time.

Anyway.. have you checked to see if there is some debris in the gun causing it to get tough like that?

5. WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith Guest

My Glock has three trigger stages: take up, firing pin safety, and connector. It had these stages before and after I did a complete rebuild with all new internal parts. I think it's normal. Maybe it's a matter of just how heavy the pull is on your firing pin safety.

6. ER_STL

ER_STL

This is exactly what I've been looking for.

My next question is, why do you think some of the newer Glocks I've fondled at the local shop don't have this? They were smooth entirely through the takeup and I couldn't tell when the striker safety was engaged. My guess is that the trigger bar was in contact with the safety from the start so that the only weight you feel is the combined weight of both the striker spring and the safety spring. I'd prefer this instead of the three-stage trigger that I have now.

What model Glock do you have? I have the 19 with the serrated trigger and am considering the smooth-faced trigger as a replacement. I'm wondering if it would make a difference. If the newer trigger bars are designed to be closer to or in contact with the safety the problem would go away.

7. WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith Guest

I have a G17 with the smooth trigger. It's the same trigger bar as the smooth trigger for the G19. I haven't noticed that newer guns have a more consistent pull. Your theory sounds possible... can you look between the frame and slide and see if you can tell when the trigger bar reaches the firing pin safety?

8. GSD17

GSD17 Thread Killer

All 9mm trigger bars are identical. Just that the G19 and G26 got stuck with the dang serrated trigger. Order a G17 trigger and go to town.

You may possibly have an out of spec trigger with trigger bar.

9. TurkeyTrack

TurkeyTrack

Have you checked the striker safety's spring, sometimes they get out of position?
    Amen, on Randy!!
    ;)

10. ER_STL

ER_STL

If you remove the magazine and watch the trigger bar by looking up the well you can clearly see it engage the safety. On mine it doesn't happen until about 30-50% of the way through the takeup, which is the exact point when I notice the weight of the trigger increase. I stopped by the local shop tonight but they were closing up. The next time I can stop by there I'll do the same with their Glocks and see if it's different. My guess is that the trigger bar is going to be in contact with the safety from the start since I can't feel a thing in the trigger itself.

Yeah, I've reinstalled it a few times. I even replaced my original one because it was slightly curved. The new one hasn't made a difference. Randy gave me the good idea of removing the safety entirely to ensure that it was the cause of the problem, which it was. Without the safety the pull is smooth.

11. TurkeyTrack

TurkeyTrack

Do you have another trigger assembly, that you could try?
    Sounds like you might swap out parts, until you decide what is causing the problem.
    ;)

12. ER_STL

ER_STL

I've thought about buying another trigger but I just haven't done it yet. I don't remember my trigger always being this obvious so I've assumed that I've done something to cause it. I've tried everything I can think of with no results. Now I have an ultra-clean, perfectly lubricated G19 with polished trigger parts but I still have a double pull. :supergrin:

13. ER_STL

ER_STL

I removed the magazine from one of the Glocks at the local shop today (G22) and verified that the trigger bar is closer to the striker safety than mine is on my G19. It's not necessarily touching but it's so close that there's probably 5% takeup before it's engaged. I can feel it in the trigger when it is being engaged but it's not half as obvious as on my gun, which is a clear double-pull.

I removed the slide from the G22 and from mine and the extension on the trigger bar on the G22 looks like it might be a hair bigger.