Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
REALLY cool Pat.

We've just got to do a road trip out there. I was in talks with a curator to get some of my stuff there prior to the plague. Once this nightmare fades I'll get back with him. Perhaps we could do a road trip and get some behind the scenes looks.

We've got to take some great pics of the guns and captions and post here.

Of note from the video...

They have 2 G1 19s, AN312 and DN040

LOVE that first hand done cutaway AT002US

The first run cutaway example is JQ113. I have JQ100 (long thread on that one, historically significant gun).

I'd LOVE to see AN

Love the G25TB

It's interesting that they note that P80 was the beginning, but, as I've been told, they don't have an early one.

It's very interesting how they describe the two G1 19s (pics below). They note that DN was "hand made" and that AN is a G1 19 - one of only hundreds made - yet the AN date is earlier.

Note that G22 NGD Prefix were the first G4s.

The G20 prototype J004US uses unique mags. I know the guy who sold most of the guns in Cody back to Glock. He had another J 20 that I just missed buying.

Note that G22C RTF2 SN MZV!! 8/11/90 What??? They've all been PEX that we've seen.

The torture test guns was AL749

Their AF is AF371.

20200418_113147.jpg
20200418_113207.jpg

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I’ve been to the museum, quite a place. Hard to imagine plastic pistols there, though.

Reactions: cbetts1 and Terry G

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
The P80 is very interesting. It's a Gen 1 but not the very early P80s that we think of. Theirs, EA-73 already has a US SN plate frame and US patent number on the frame. That said, it's possible that this was a case of what I was talking about yesterday - the early slide and barrel assy being mated to another non-original frame. Would have to see the date codes on the barrel to know.

I'd think that EA was a later produced guns. There were, I think, 35K original P80s. That would not extend to EA.

It's also labeled 2000s with a G1 frame. Would be very interesting to see the date code and the model marking on the other side of the slide.

As I noted in another post, P80 marked guns are still produced for the Norwegian and perhaps some other armies.

20200418_114456.jpg
20200418_114458.jpg
20200418_114519.jpg
20200418_114523.jpg
20200418_114525.jpg

We just gotta get there, get the back room tour and get a better look at this stuff.

Last I communicated with the curator he was interested in having some of my guns there. Hopefully that will work out after the plague. That would be the perfect time to visit and get said tour.

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
I’ve been to the museum, quite a place. Hard to imagine plastic pistols there, though.
Those plastic pistols are, of course, the most prolific pistols of the free world and the most important design of the latter part of the 20th century. What more important modern guns would you think more fitting to be there?

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
QUOTE="glockhoarder, post: 28731550, member: 253529"]Those plastic pistols are, of course, the most prolific pistols of the free world and the most important design of the latter part of the 20th century. What more important modern guns would you think more fitting to be there?[/QUOTE]

I don’t think modern guns have a place there at all. Can’t really put a cutoff date on it, but 18th and 19th century, possibly early 20th, say up to WWII, and earlier.

Reactions: lazarus66

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
QUOTE="glockhoarder, post: 28731550, member: 253529"]Those plastic pistols are, of course, the most prolific pistols of the free world and the most important design of the latter part of the 20th century. What more important modern guns would you think more fitting to be there?
Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course. However a lot of people are far more interested
in modern guns than older ones. I would think a museum would want to have as diverse a display as possible to attract the most diverse and broad visitor base as possible. A lot of us here are case in point. We would likely not go there absent the modern guns but with the modern guns there we will make the trip.

Reactions: DJ Niner

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
With all due respect Pat, I would consider anything post-Columbian to be too modern. I can see post ice age - perhaps - but no later than pre-Columbian native american weapons (arrow heads, spear points, etc) should be there. Further, only the ones native to the Cody area should be allowed.

For instance, these would be considered Gen 2, as we're already talking villages by this time: (these may also be considered an early version of the RTF finish).

20200418_122123.jpg

·
M62/76
12,564 Posts
I went there way back in 1998 and am hoping to get back there this summer once this BS blows over.

Reactions: glockhoarder

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With all due respect Pat, I would consider anything post-Columbian to be too modern. I can see post ice age - perhaps - but no later than pre-Columbian native american weapons (arrow heads, spear points, etc) should be there. Further, only the ones native to the Cody area should be allowed.

For instance, these would be considered Gen 2, as we're already talking villages by this time:

View attachment 741400
Sorry, I have to draw the line at "firearm" and its definition, "a small arms weapon, from which a projectile is fired by gunpowder."

To each their own, I guess?

·
Registered
20,761 Posts
Thanks for sharing the video. Really cool to see some of those interesting early variants on display. I'd love to take a trip out to Cody Firearms Museum one day.

·
21,361 Posts
Sorry, I have to draw the line at "firearm" and its definition, "a small arms weapon, from which a projectile is fired by gunpowder."

To each their own, I guess?
I’d say back to when they discovered fire is sufficiently historic, nothing more modern than that.

·
21,361 Posts
I *REALLY* wish they didn't have such harsh lighting there. It makes taking good pics nearly impossible.
I have a feeling when we go we’ll be able to take better pictures. I reached out to them for better pictures of the 26C and made some good connections.

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
Reactions: 58sniper
1 - 20 of 68 Posts