close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock dis/assembly videos/CDs?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Arbee, May 29, 2002.

1. Arbee

Arbee

I know there are several available: a Lone Wolf CD, a Mini-Glock video, and others? Any suggestions for the best one to help me do my first detail strip and fluff and buff?

2. White Wolfe

White Wolfe On the Prowl

Not sure which one to tell you is the best. Never used any of them. You probably dont need them. The way the Glock comes apart still amazes me. I just did my first detail strip on my almost 10 year old Glock 19 and its just so easy. I thought at first I might not be able to do it. I got on here and asked a few questions and people on here helped me. This place cant be beat as far as help. Someone gave me this link and I detail stripped the gun. http://www.glockmeister.com/slidedis.html. Hardest part was getting the slide cover plate off. Its really not that bad. I lightly polished the extractor depressor plunger, firing pin, firing pin safety and the top and bottom of the extractor. Did all of this with my Dremel and some polishing compound. I cleaned everything with Break Free CLP, did a little brushing. Cleaned the firing pin channel real well. I used Q-Tips to clean it after soaking. Wiped all the excess off everything and reassembled.

Hello?!?!?!....I am sure he would like to hear from some of the senior members here at GT.

3. Arbee

Arbee

Thanks, WW. Anyone else?

4. philkryder

philkryder

I bought a tape from a local gunshop.

It was from American Gunsmithing Institute and cost about $30.

It is "nice to have" and a confidence builder - But there are a couple of filming glitches where the demonstrator moves the gun out of camera view while pointing at something. Also at one point the instructors hand gets in the way of the view of something being explained.

A couple of things that were covered that are not in the Glockmeister diagrams include:
    1) The "slide lock" can be installed in 4 different ways.
    Only ONE of the four is correct.
    If the slide lock is inserted incorrectly the barrel can try to "ride up" over the slide lock and potentially damage the frame.

This is the SLIDE LOCK - the little flat piece of metal that you grip to take the slide off (not the "slide stop lever" that holds the slide open).

2) When re-assembling the striker - the instructor pushed a little piece of paper towel into the spacer sleeve to help hold the striker "up" so that the spring could be compressed easily when inserting the spring cups.
    Be careful handling the little parts -
    I "launched" one of the spring cups when cleaning my Glock the other night. I was fortunate to be able to find it.

I feel that those two tips were probably worth the $30 to me - but your price points and confidence may vary.

I probably like to have more training and try to understand things more than some others might.

I would go with some form of material, given how much I spend on consumables for the Glock, the tape was a small expense.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
    Phil

5. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

An easier way is to merely turn the unit upside down in the firing pin channel in the slide, twisted slightly left or right (keeps the firing pin up) and you have a ready made holder. You can use this for assembly or disassembly.

6. philkryder

philkryder

Thanks!
    I'll try that next time!
    Phil

7. maxxx93

maxxx93

8. Arbee

Arbee

Thanks all.

9. switch625

switch625 S. S. Squirrel

don't waste your money, glockmeister FAQ has everything you need, for free! it's simple.

10. smeet5150

smeet5150 Southern Son

I just took mine apart and it was reeeeeely simple. and really dirty too! it feels so much smoother now that it is clean.

11. White Wolfe

White Wolfe On the Prowl

You were probably like me and thought parts were going to go everywhere and you wouldnt have a clue as the where they go back. But the Glock is really a simple design. Very easy to detail strip.

12. DaveR120

DaveR120

The video I like best was 'Mastering the Mini-Glock', By Magills. Don't be misled by the title, when it come to the Assembly/Disassembly parts, they ar not Glock model specific.

I got mine from www.gunvideos.com

I had gotten the one from AGI, but I liked this one much better, since it had better close-up shots and lots of other good Glock points of interest in it also.

Good Luck

13. Arbee

Arbee

Thanks again folks. I am mechanically disinclined, so I usually like a little more help than most. I'll take a closer look at the Glockmeister piece, but may get the Mastering the Mini-Glock video if I chicken out. And you're right - my image of it is having pieces all over the place and then getting them back in not-quite-right.

14. DaveR120

DaveR120

Just be careful. Right after replying to this post last night, I figured it was time to 'Detail-Strip' mine and give it a thorough cleaning. Well... I was a little too rough taking out the Slide Lock, and I wound up breaking the Slide Lock Spring. It's not th $2 it's going to cost, it's having my No. 1 self-defense gun out of commission until I get a new one in the mail...

15. MyGlockRocks

MyGlockRocks SLABSIDER

Send me your address and I'll send you a copy of my manual!

16. MyGlockRocks

MyGlockRocks SLABSIDER

There are only 35 pieces in a GLOCK, and up to 49% of them will interchange with almost any model. Nothing to it if you know where to start and the sequence.

17. Arbee

Arbee

Thanks. What manual are you referring to?

18. MyGlockRocks

MyGlockRocks SLABSIDER

Glock Armorer's Manual, 1997 edition

19. Arbee

Arbee

Cool! Thanks. I'll send you my address.