close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock dilemma for newbie

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by fmedina, Mar 23, 2010.

1. fmedina

fmedina

Hey guys, I'm going to be going to the law enforcement academy in about 2 years when I finish my degree. I have always been interested in firearms and am looking into purchasing one both for self defense, and to improve my marksmanship before attending the academy.

I am currently debating between the G19 and the G23. I am set on the smaller size handgun so that I will be able to conceal it, but am just questioning the caliber.

I am leaning towards the 9mm because of the price. I have never fired a gun, and I know that I will need tons of repetition and shooting time, so the 9mm will save me some money. But then again it is a fairly small size and I'm not sure how effective that may be in certain situations.

I have read that the .40 cal is a great size and packs a bigger punch that the 9mm, but I am unsure of how the recoil would be in that size of a gun.

I have done searches and have read comparisons between the two, but I am mainly looking for recommendations for a first time. Eventually I do plan on purchasing a full size G22 as I believe that is what my local law enforcement agencies use.

I also plan to sign up for professional lessons at my local gun range that I plan to purchase my firearm. Not only will this ensure I don't pick up bad habits, but we get a discount on the firearm itself and range time.

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to all the information on this site.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  2. Bordner

Bordner

I'd fear getting hit by a bus more than I fear my G17 not stopping an attacker. Save some money at first and get the 19. It's a great piece.

3. Z71bill

Z71bill

I do not see how you can go wrong with a G19 - it is IMHO the best all around Glock.

4. Road Dog

Road Dog Senior Member Millennium Member

I'd go with the 19 due to ammo cost.

RD

5. dave333

dave333

Definately go with the 9mm if you plan on shooting a lot simply for cost savings, you can always trade to the .40 later if and when you want to.

6. glock-fan

glock-fan

If you have a chance rent both and try them, my first was a g19 can´t complain about it great gun, soon got bored and moved to g23 still have it.
    If you get the G23 you could get the conversion barrel to 9mm for range practice and save money. and have both guns.

good luck

7. tango44

tango44

G19 the perfect gun!

8. Jeff82

Jeff82 NRA Benefactor CLM

Sold my 23 and carry a 19 now. I shoot it better, faster, and more accurately. Haven't looked back nor wanted to.

9. Girevik61

Girevik61

My G19 RTF2 with straight slide serrations is totally sweet. :thumbsup:

10. Bob469

Bob469

get a 19 for now or even better a 26... more then likely you will be issued a 23... then you'll have the .40 compact and 9mm sub compact

11. LEAD

LEAD

If you know that you'll eventaully get a 22 then get the 23 for compatability reasons. As has been said, you can easily get a conversion barrel for either and have the ability to shoot 9mm, it dosn't work the other way around.

12. Brain Virus

Brain Virus

13. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

14. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

G-19 because more practice = better shot placement = better stopping power.

15. Zertek

Zertek

Get the G19 save a ton of money at the range and have double quick follow up shots for SD you've got 15+1 of Gold Dot 124gr +P that'll do the job for you.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  16. durabo

durabo

another vote for the 19...

was my first glock and i love it to death.

also recommend getting rtf2 version. takes a little gettign used to but i like it alot better than regular versions.

hogue grip helps.

17. Dr. J Frame

Dr. J Frame LSWCHP +P

New shooter. I'd go with the lower recoiling G19. You want to develop proper shooting techniques and habits from the start.

FWIW- I finished my Law Enforcement degree in Alexandria, MN in 1998. There were 40 pistols to draw from during firearms class. 34 were Glock 19's, and 6 were Glock 26's. I always drew a G26 because it was what I carried at the time(still do). In fact most days I just used my own weapon. The instructor was the only other person that would grab a G26, if I recall. Every other student shot the G19.

18. fortyofforty

fortyofforty

What is your department issuing? What will you be permitted to carry off duty (or even on duty) once you graduate? What ammunition will you be given, once you graduate? If it's a .40, you might go with the G23. However, I agree with many of the above posters that the G19 is, hands down, the finest Glock available in terms of size, firepower, and stopping power. So, in short, if you will be issued a 9mm, go with the G19. If you will be issued a .40, go with the G23. If you will be allowed to carry either one, and be given ammunition for it, go with the G19. As a new shooter, you can't go wrong with the G19.

19. g34fan

g34fan

I would agree with the G19. Like others have said, much cheaper to shoot. As a new shooter there are a number of fundamentals you need to learn about shooting a handgun. In my opinion, at least 70% of shooting a handgun is the same no matter what gun you are shooting. When it comes to one Glock vs. another, probably more like 90% is the same. It ultimately takes several thousand rounds to get the muscle memory down. You are going to save a ton of money getting there with the G19. Even cheaper still...get yourself a nice .22lr pistol and shoot it as well. With the price and availability of ammo these days, I shoot 50-100 rounds per week of 9mm and 150-200 rounds of .22

20. SPDMTL

SPDMTL

23 :bowdown: 23:rock: 23 :devildance: Just because.