close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock design flaw!?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Fernley, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Fernley

Fernley Need Training?

Ok first of all let me say i love my Glock(s). Now that I have said that let me elaborate on my thread title.

I have just recently purchased a Glock 22C. "C" meaning compensated. The barrel and slide are ported and while that seemed like a good idea to me I have come upon 1 real problem and 1 theoretical one that I have yet to test.

Problem 1- After about 20 rounds I noticed the front sights began to darken. This is from the carbon and what ever other **** comes up out of the ports during shooting. This presents as a problem for me since there is a potential for my needing to operate in a low light setting. The last thing I need is an already difficult to see front site.

Sure its bright and white when clean and in my holster,but what happens when.........? Get my drift?

Problem 2- I train and practice a technique that some may have read about that D.R. middlebrooks is teaching at the TSA school. This is called a fist fire technique. Without getting into the details of this, the issue of the techniques close guard position would put the weapon in close to my body and the ports damned near under my chin at about the level of the xyphoid process and slightly to the right. Basically under the right eye.

The problem that arises from this shooting style is that with a ported weapon, am I going to burn my chin or get **** in my face?

Now my job as a TEMO means that the vast majority of the time I will have a balacava on and goggles in place. So perhaps since thew hood is nomex, it's a non-issue; or is it?

Some suggest to just buy an after market barrel and forget the whole thing.

An ideas? Suggestions?

Should I just sell it take the loss and write it off to bad move on my part and get a G22 and call it good?

2. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

I have a 24C and I like the porting for GSSF and general target shooting. The first issue you mention was obvious the first time I fired the pistol, bummer. Just go to black sights and it won't matter. As to a carry gun I don't think there's enough help from the porting to make it worth the investment. If I were in a similar situation I would just buy a factory 22 barrel and use it for carry.

3. njl

njl

That's not a design flaw, it's operator error. You chose the wrong gun. Just buy a non-ported barrel for carry.

4. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

tilt the gun 45 degrees or so to the right when shooting the gaurd position thing.

matt

5. glklvr

glklvr

Why is it a design flaw? Jeez, dude, most people have enough common sense to know not to buy a compensated pistol for self defense.

If its a design flaw, somebody better tell all those IPSC shooters! ;Q

6. switch625

switch625 S. S. Squirrel

research usually helps before you buy a pistol, or anything for that matter!

7. VN350X10

VN350X10

From what I've seen & shot, the ported (factory "c" models) are more advertising "hype" than functional need.
    Even with a model G20C in 10MM, the porting doesn't seem to make a real difference, except to impress other shooters at the range; it makes the 10MM seem even fiercer to the uneducated masses!
    If you note, all IPSC/USPSA guns w/comps run them out at the END of the bbl, except for the "hybrid" type. And the jury is still out on them!

For tac team use, you probably should have gone with a G35, with the benifits of a longer sight radius, better velocity & a better trigger out of the box. It might just be my imagination, but the 34s &35s thatI've shot seem to be held to a tighter fit/lockup than the other models. Maybe because their promoted as competition guns?
    I've never shot any Glock that groups as well as my G34 that I use for USPSA.

uncle albert;b

8. JWP

JWP

get original or aftermarket non ported barrel
    use the c model for fun/ non c for carry

9. Snuffalufagus

Snuffalufagus

Just shot a (50) box of Black Hills through my G22C yesterday - very little darkening of the sight. It wasn't noticable in the slightest. Have more of a problem with my 19C even with BH ammo. Mabye a different ammo is the ticket.

10. Sentry

Sentry Senior Member

Contact me if you want a stock barrel, new from the factory, Fernley.

11. 1811guy

1811guy Formerly1811guy2

The only design flaw was putting night sights on a compensated gun. In low light, the first shot will produce enough muzzle flash to hinder your night vision making the night sights a moot point. Shooting a ported gun will only intensify this effect (That's alot of flash coming up through those ports and directly into your sight picture). After alot of range time and experimentation, I have ditched night sights alltogether. I have now opted for Heinie Slant Pros on all of my pistols (combat and competition). In a low light setting, I shoot just as well with plain iron sights as I did with night sights. JMO.

12. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

The 2 advantages of a ported gun. It automatically keeps the front sight black, and it trims your mustache, and eyebrows, during house clearing drills...

13. DepDuke

DepDuke Glockitall

I have found if you tilt the gun awayfrom you in a close-retention position, you still have good control and get the ports to where they wont make you look like Richard Dreyfuss in 'Close Encounters of The Third Kind' and as for the blackening of the sights, it comes with the deal......gasses out the top, black sights.

14. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

I own a G19c, I've purposely ran over 500 rounds in one setting through my night sighted GLOCK to see if the front sight "lamp" was still visible in low light afterwards. Although the front sight was a little bit dimmer as compared to the rear lamps, it was still very visible.

1811guy, in all your "experimentation", it sounds like you chose ammo that was too bright to begin with. I'm betting if you'd have tried that exact same ammo in a non-ported GLOCK, you would've found it was just as bright. This is what I have found. You choosing not to use night sights all together is/was up to you & I have no problem with that. I only have a problem with your testing & know it could've had a different out come.