close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock cycle time?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by rustytxrx, Oct 31, 2012.

1. rustytxrx

rustytxrx

Do you know the cycle time of glock 34 with ammo at the at caliber specified standard pressure

Rusty
    Texas, I luv u

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  2. dhgeyer

dhgeyer

At what temperature and elevation, and with how many rounds on the RSA? :whistling:

halfmoonclip likes this.

3. kalifornia

kalifornia

don't forget humidity and lunar gravitational force.

halfmoonclip likes this.
  4. NCHeel

NCHeel

Need to know what lube you use.

halfmoonclip likes this.
  5. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

By the answers you're seeing... no "real" answer here.

Why in the world are you asking this?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

6. dhgeyer

dhgeyer

Is Clint Eastwood holding the gun, or Twiggy?

7. rustytxrx

rustytxrx

LoL, not asking for split times. I was curious about cycle time because I could find it on line. Someone must know time from hammer fall to return to battery.

I guess my question to you is why wouldn't you be curious. It been said that intellectual curiosity is a direct reflection of IQ :faint:

Rusty
    Texas, I luv u

8. dhgeyer

dhgeyer

Yeah. Sorry to poke fun. It is a serious question. But it does depend on a lot of different factors. There is no standard pressure: there is a range. Different bullet weights generate different amounts of energy. Lead bullets (some folks do use them in Glocks) react differently than jacketed or plated ones. The number of cycles on the RSA would be a big factor, as would the rigidity with which the gun was held and probably the temperature of the various components (guns get hot if they are shot rapidly). That heat would even affect the ammunition.

In order for there to be a standard answer, someone would need to specify a set of standard factors. No one has done this because no one has ever seen a reason to. At best one could test and discover a range of cycle times. But I doubt anyone has ever seen a reason to do even that.

I do have one thought. The Glock 18 is a selective fire variant of the 17. In full auto mode the rate of fire is 1100 to 1200 rounds per minute. Let's use 1200. That would be 20 rounds per second. So, each cycle would be approximately .05 seconds.

That's probably as close to an answer as you will get, unless someone else has another idea.

halfmoonclip likes this.
  9. dhgeyer

dhgeyer

Glocks don't have hammers. :supergrin:

10. JBS

JBS

11. rustytxrx

rustytxrx

Found fire rate of Glock's machine pistol is 1100 to 1200 rounds per minute.

Seems most on here would figure it out. For those having trouble with 3ard grade math....that is 0.05 to 0.054 seconds. Now you know what the cycle rate of 9mm is.

Rusty
    Texas, I luv u

12. rustytxrx

rustytxrx

Dhgeyer, had the same thought. Ya know what they say about great minds :cool:

Rusty
    Texas, I luv u

PS that is two rounds per eye blink

13. AustinTx

AustinTx

Has anyone ever been able to pull a trigger fast enough that the pistol couldn't keep up?

14. DocWills

DocWills

Hammer time LOL :rofl: .03 seconds, sear time is operator.

1 round per second aimed.

15. dhgeyer

dhgeyer

No, we don't. In the first place the G18 has a different fire control mechanism than the G17 and quite likely a different RSA. Apart from that, the cyclical rate of fire of the G18 is probably based on NATO spec 9mm ammunition, which is considerably "hotter" than what we normally shoot here. Also, in full auto mode, shots fired subsequent to the initial one probably take a different amount of time to cycle than the initial round due to the system being in motion, lube heating up, and several other factors.

Also, you specify the length of time to cycle beginning with hammer fall (Glocks have strikers, not hammers) up to return to battery. In reality you should include the time it takes for the striker to release and move forward.

At best what we have is a very rough approximation of the cycle time of a Glock 17.

Oh, and you say we know the cycle time of 9mm. Well, Glock makes several 9mm guns in 4 different sizes that I can think of. While you originally specify the G34, that is only one size. The others would cycle at different rates.

In other words, your solution (and mine) is a gross oversimplification. The difference is that I, and most on this board who actually own Glocks, know that.

16. rustytxrx

rustytxrx

Doc, the USPSA boys (and gals) have 0.2 second splits. The good one have 0.12 second splits. The good ones putting all rounds (140 to 150) in 6" group while moving very quickly. They have a great index on the pistol but they can call their shots.

Rusty
    Texas, I luv u

17. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

An additional factor that may affect that fifty millisecond estimate: the G18 at full auto PROBABLY uses advanced primer ignition. The semiauto cycle time would therefore be somewhat greater. API is used in most high rate automatic firearms.

18. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

Do not forget to consider adiabatic lapse rate, too, if you wish your measurement to be truly meaningful.

19. rustytxrx

rustytxrx

Hmmm, I'll bet i am in the statistical significant range. I own six glocks. First was g20 in 1995 or 1996. I am of the opinion the number of glocks you own and shoot has little to do with your skill as a shooter or your ability to solve differential equations.

Rusty
    Texas, I love you

20. rustytxrx

rustytxrx

Now that is kinda interesting. What exactly is API?

Rusty
    Texas, I luv u