close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock + crimson trace + surefire ?!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by snovo, Sep 22, 2004.

1. snovo

snovo

The crimson trace lasers are just too cool, and I'd love to have one. Unfortunately, I love two OTHER things: my G23, and BIG surefire lights (the ones with 220 lumens for 20 minutes--I have one on my 1911).

If crimson trace goes to the trouble of routing wires, switches, and battery compartments all through the glock frame, why the heck do they then mount the laser right where you'd like to mount a light??

Couldn't they just as easily mount the laser in the same place as their grip mounts for other guns (except of course, in the case of the glock, it would have to be permanently mounted in the frame--but still in the same place on the grip).

HOWEVER, I wonder if the laser just happens to be situated in such a way in their standard setup that one might possibly DRILL a hole through the mounting/frame apparatus of the big surefires, so that the laser could shine through without too much damage to the surefire?!?!

Any opinions or ideas?

I emailed crimson trace about this (mounting the laser on the grip) day before yesterday, and they haven't seen fit to contact me back.

2. GaG23

GaG23

Well, for me the "G23+laser+tac light" combo was as easy as a one second install involving attaching an Insight M6 to the built in rail. Easy to install and remove according to your needs and made to fit without any alteration to the G23 itself.

I can't help but think that you would be inviting trouble by taking a drill to your equipment, be it Your Surefire or your Glock. Do you really want to have to trust your life in a critical moment to something that you hope you haven't done "too much damage to"?

If you are determined to keep the big Surefire (which is, admittedly, a very cool tac light), you might want to consider a Lasermax unit which fits in the area currently ocupied by the recoil rod. I have read mixed reports regarding them on this and other forums (do a search for "Lasermax" for a lot of heated opinions both ways). I didn't really seriously consider one because I may have to depend on my G23 to save my life one day and don't want to have it fail to function properly because I futzed around with the frame or innards trying to make it do something it wasn't designed for.

Just my thoughts, which along with $4 or $5 will buy you a nice cup of Starbucks.

Cheers,
    GaG23

3. snovo

snovo

I have an insight M3X (the M6X without the laser), and I'm not overwhelmed with the light--it's about half the power of a surefire 9V light with the "max" bulb. It's a good light, surely, thus the M6X would be a "good" setup, as you recommend. But that ultra-powerful 9V surelight is really something to behold!

I'll have to read reviews on the lasermax. For one, I don't like the "it flashes for better visibility." Sounds more like "it flashes so you can barely see it!"

I had the chance to see a crimson trace setup at my local gunshop (they have a display, with plastic guns). It's REALLY NICE. Very bright in daytime + indoor lighting. The grip activated button is very natural feeling.

4. GaG23

GaG23

I agree on the "flashing" for the Lasermax - it would be really annoying trying to zero that in on target under good circumstances, not to mention under stress. Plus, like you, I have read that there are sunlight visibility issues.

About a year ago I called the guy who I believe heads up marketing at Crimson Trace to find out if the Beretta 92 grips would work on my Taurus 92 (the answer, BTW, was "no") and he turned out to be both knowledgable and helpful - I'll see if I can find his number in my "archives" and send it to you.

5. cygnus

cygnus

At a gunshow about a year ago a dealer had both systems (CTrace and LMax) on his G27 for comparison purposes. Testing both of them out, literally, side by side on the same gun made the Crimson Trace look far superior to Lasermax. Mind you, it's a much more permanent process, and a lot of peeps out there swear by Lasermax...also, I have no idea how much CTrace actually costs, that coul dbe the big factor. As far as having your cake and eating it too, sounds like the Insight M6X may be the best bet, it's easy, quick...

6. Stopdropnroll

Stopdropnroll Millennium Member

Probably was Mike Z.

503-627-9992

1-800-442-2406

SDnR ;)

7. GaG23

GaG23

Thanks, stopdropnroll - that's exactly who it was!

I went back to my old spiral notebooks (which I try to use to keep notes like that) but wasn't able to locate it. The recognition light went off as soon as I saw your post.

Cheers,
    GaG23