close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock copper lube...I removed it.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by JohnnyCash, May 16, 2006.

1. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash

When I cleaned my brand-new G19 for the first time, I removed the copper colored lube that came with the gun using Gun Scrubber. It's actually hard not to remove it if one wants to totally clean the gun properly. That solvent strips the gun dry.

I read the manual and it said do not remove this, as it provides "long-term lubrication of the slide".

Question:
    Should I go get some of this stuff and put it back on there or will I be fine? I actually can't even remember where under the slide the stuff was located. Anyone remember? Can I substitute something other than the copper colored lube?

2. RandySmith

RandySmith

You don't need it at all. Oil with 6 small drops per the manual and all will be well.

Randy

3. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Its antisieze compound. Its there in case the gun sits on the shelf for years there will still be lube. Cleaning it off will not hurt anything.

4. Sikhed

Sikhed cat-herder

Don't listen to them. Your new Glock is ruined. Send it to me:supergrin:

5. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash

I was thinking of putting a light coat of grease on the 4 points of slide contact on the frame, rather than just gun oil. What's your opinion of that?

6. Blankwaffe

Blankwaffe

Not all greases are the same.In general I find most of the automotive greases to be too heavy to use on weapons.Some of the firearms greases suffer the same.
    I personally do not like the copper anti-seize.I try and keep metal fines out of my weapons,adding some in my lube does not inspire my confidence.
    IMHO the only grease I would use is a weapons specific grease.In fact the only two I like are the Mil-comm TW-25B and the Tetra GUNgrease.They are both PTFE based.Of the two Ive found the TW-25B is a bit thinner and overall better performer IMHO.The TW-25B also seems to be a much better protectant,not that its a big deal with a Glock.But important with other weapons.
    So I use the TW-25B as a primary lube for all my pistols.I also use the Mil-comm MC-2500 oil for the tight spots,pins and such.As well as a wipe down oil for the exterior.
    HTH
    http://www.mil-comm.com/

P.S.
    No I do not work for Mil-comm...I just love the stuff.

7. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash

I purchased the Militech-1 gun oil AND grease. I've heard some good things about this stuff. What's your opinion? Ever try it? I've been told their grease version is newer.

8. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

I typicaly use grease for all guns unless I am in a really cold climate then I cut the grease with a little oil. I think they work better and they tend to stay put. My favorite is Brian Enos slide glide

9. Quail Fat

Quail Fat Member

I use Tetra grease on the disconnector where it meets the trigger bar. I also apply it on top of the New York trigger. The frame rails get 1 drop of Break Free CLP, another drop is applied to the locking block, and another drop is smeared on the barrel. The copper lube is still around. I might clean it off after a thousand rounds are put through the gun.

10. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash

Could someone please explain where on the bottom of the slide the copper lube is applied? Possibly provide a picture pointing to where it goes?

11. .45 Combat

.45 Combat

I've got to add something here, I just bought my first G-21 and guess what, it didn't have any cooper anti-seize.

So don't give it to much thought.

12. stangyg123

stangyg123 NRA 4 Ever

It did when it was born but you are right not to give it too much thought.

13. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

Boy, this really takes me back!

When I bought my first Glock back in 1986, I saw the copper-colored lube and immediately presumed it was rust.
    :cool:

14. douglevy

douglevy Ka-Tet of 19

I Gun Scrubber'd off the copper stuff right when I got my G17 back in March. I clean it after every shooting session (well, almost...) with the regular $10 all-inclusive cleaning kits you can get at Walmart or Outdoor World, and oil all metal parts with the oil that comes in the kit.

2,000 rounds later and still not a single failure to speak of.

Long story short, IMO Glocks are very hardy guns so I don't really worry too much about the lube situation, and the no-name cleaning kit gun oil suits me right down to the ground.

Happy [and safe] shooting.