Glock 32 Glock conversions to 22LR?????

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by John Polosky, Oct 14, 2020.

1. John Polosky

John Polosky

Anyone done this?

I have a G32 and a G27 and while researching various and sundry "stuff" yesterday I cam across conversions of various Glocks to 22 lr. Caught my interest since I have 4-5,000 rounds of 22 lr and have not shot it lately....actually in 3-4 years. Both guns have conversions for 9mm and 40 or 357 Sig. G27 being original 40 and G32 original 357 Sig.

I said to myself "Self, why not try that to maybe cut the use of valuable SD ammo and get more trigger time with the two guns".

Is a conversion worth it in your opinion? Does it really give valuable training? Does it cause one to become "sloppy" in their stance or grip or anything because of the much lower recoil. Is 22 lr as accurate compared to my Ruger Mark IV 22/45 or Ruger SR22?

What/who makes the best conversions should I go that route?

Thanks!

davedc likes this.
  2. -JCN-

-JCN-

I do with a CZ Shadow Kadet kit.

I find it does help with certain things like trigger press and index on transitions.

It won’t help with recoil management.

Think of it like enhanced dry fire. If you’re lazy and sloppy about your vision and paying attention during dry fire or 22LR it won’t help you.

But if you do, it does.

I do not recommend the Tactical Solutions kit for Glock. Mine is finicky.

3. thewoods868

thewoods868 thewoods868

Shooting 22lr in a 32 isn’t going to help. Just buy a dedicated 22lr pistol. The recoil from center fire pistols is what most people need to get used to for improvement. Basic shooting skills can be helpful with 22lr.

4. ken grant

ken grant

I really think .22 conversion kits help out with the same triggers as your CF pistols or rifles.
    I have several AA kits for Glocks (4 ) , 1911's (3) and AR15's (3) . I enjoy them all !!!!!!!
    Even more so now if I could only find ammo at a decent price .

porschedog and Glock Commander like this.
  5. Rusty Guns

Rusty Guns

I agree I have an Advantage Arms conversion Kit on a Dedicated gen2 G-17 Frame for my Kit. That way I'm not moving it back and forth from one frame to another.
    I had a Tactical Solutions Kit and had the most problem finding a 22LR round that it would shoot.
    My AA Kit shoots everything. After around 4-500 rounds it will let you know that it needs cleaning. When I was going to the range once a week, I would clean it every other week, and no problems. Now I am trying to conserve my ammo supply, and have been going about once every three months. So I try to clean whatever I take to shoot every range trip.

YNYGlock, capcap and Glock Commander like this.
  6. allegro

allegro

Another strong recommendation of the Advantage Arms LE conversion. Once you find the correct ammo (Remington Golden Bullets for me) you are good to go. Very dependable (for a 22LR) and amazingly accurate.

Glock Commander likes this.
  7. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

I got the Advantage Arms Conversion for my Glock 17 Gen 3.

1500 rounds down range. Mine functions well on copper plated bullets but lead bullets will cause stoppages every other round. I use it mostly as a training aid for my wife and youngest daughter. But I enjoy it greatly as a fun plinker especially when the arthritis is acting bad. :fred:

8. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

Before I even read the replies I can tell you you’ll get some responses telling you using a .22 won’t substitute for learning to deal with recoil. Others will say, “Get a ___ instead of a conversion kit.”

My take, because you asked, is that you can benefit from using the same trigger and grip. I’ve had Ciener kits, Advantage Arms kits and my current Tactical Solutions kit. I didn’t like the Ciener sights, the AA was a little light, and the TacSol felt best and it has a threaded barrel. I also have the G44.

I find having the conversion allows for longer range sessions and allows new shooters to have less fatigue while we work in the basics like sight alignment and trigger pull.

davedc likes this.
  9. Terry G

Terry G

AA kit for the G21. It is light, but the trigger is the same and since the operation is the same, I like it as a trainer. The Kadet Kit is 'spensive, more than most .22 pistols. It has all the attributes of an expensive pistol however, and the trigger and operation is the same. It has great adjustable sights and is a lot more accurate than most .22 handguns. The slide weight is close to the 75b so that's a big plus. It also handles a variety of .22 ammunition reliability. Recoil in both these is pretty non-existent though, one drawback. I still use both for training.

10. sig357fan

sig357fan

I have a AA kit for a Gen 4 23, the main reason I purchased the kit is for winter months at an indoor range to maintain practice as I reload and didn't care to chase reloadable brass at the indoor range.

for the cost of the kit, 4 additional mags and sights that come close to my carry set up.....I could have come very close to the cost of a dedicated 22LR.

with over 5000 rounds through it, I've come to the following;

mine is ammo "finicky", I've tried 6 different brands and nothing gives me 100% reliability, Rem Golden and CCI mini mags (recommended) give the best reliability but 97-98%, the most annoying problem is failure to extract which requires the use of a cleaning rod to knock the fired case out of the chamber.

the trigger pull is much lighter than what I want on a defense weapon, my 23 is right at 5 lbs. with the AA kit in place it 3.0-3.5 lbs. without the "hard wall" I get with my 23.

accuracy is adequate for close range silhouette practice but I wouldn't refer to it as an "accurate 22", I have a S&W Victory that I can shoot little tiny groups with all day long with what ever ammo I have on hand with zero reliability/function issues.

my suggestion would be to use your Ruger for trigger control/sight alignment practice/introducing new shooters and start saving your 9 mm brass, when things calm down, spend the money for the AA kit on reloading equipment/supplies for 9 mm, with reloading you can make light practice rounds to full power equivalent to defense loads, yes its time consuming but its a hobby to feed another hobby (reload to shoot), but don't expect to save any money reloading, do expect to get more bang for your buck, go over to the reloading forum and read the stickys and read some of the newbie posting, a lot of question get answered by long time veterans that have been there, done that and got the Tee shirt

rlewpolar likes this.
  11. John Polosky

John Polosky

Thanks folks, I really appreciate your replies.

I shoot a fair amount. I have a back yard handgun range and previously shot 3-500 rounds a week. But that number is greatly reduced with ammo prices and availability in the current environment.

Thanks again.

And yep I should have started reloading a long time ago.

12. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

You’re not buying the conversion kit as a “target” pistol so don’t try to make it a bullseye pistol. You’re doing it for commonality of training (I suppose) so if you want the “accuracy” of a fixed barrel, single action, mostly metal gun, go with a fixed barrel, single action, mostly metal gun.
    If you want to practice drawing, first sight acquisition and first shot on target with a gun of similar size, trigger feel, sights, reloading and manual of arms, get the conversion kit; you can also use the same holster.

pgg00 likes this.
  13. capcap

capcap

Same experience with mine, keep it clean and it runs.
    I keep a Boresnake in the case with it and pull it through every 100 rounds or so

14. Ranger54

Ranger54

I have an AA kit on a dedicated G17 Gen 3 frame, threaded AA barrel. Really enjoy shooting it. Have done a couple steel challenge matches. Good for that. I also have a G44 with threaded barrel.

15. porschedog

porschedog

Wow, 5 question marks....
    I have an AA kit on a G21 frame. No issues with it,
    so far, and eats any ammo it is fed. I like it.

16. DrewBone

DrewBone

I'm of the belief that if you want to shoot .22LR out of a pistol for purposes of plinking, casual target shooting, and critter control, your best bet to avoid any kind of failure to feed or extract related snafu is to shoot .22LR out of a dedicated .22LR pistol in lieu of using a rimfire conversion kit installed in a centerfire handgun, and if you want to become proficient with a 9mm pistol for purposes of serious target or self defense use then there's no better way at doing so than shooting 9mm through that 9mm pistol.

It's easy enough to practice the proper stance, to dry fire, and lastly to simulate acquiring a quick sight picture with that 9mm pistol empty if the cost of centerfire ammunition is a concern or burden...

17. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

I wish I could find a reasonably-priced (say, $200) G19 Gen 5 frame to dedicate to a Glock 44 upper assembly (with a Nelson Precision 44X slide). I can only find one in-stock online retailer and the complete frame is $390. For that price, I'd be better of buying another $350 G44 and tossing the plastic slide.

18. Pat Harmon

Pat Harmon

I have a tactical Solutions .22 slide kit on a dedicated Gen 3 model 23..Cheaper to practice with,same trigger feel as my other model 23, model 23 but no recoil.It works great.Had a few fail to fire in the 1st magazine,but none since. 2000-3000 rounds shot through it so far.

19. pgg00

pgg00

I have an AA kit for my G21. I used it alot for training drills. The gun and mags fit in my duty gear since I was carrying the 21 then. I could do 500 rounds worth of drills then for very cheap.