close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GLOCK Conversion vs. Walther P22

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by RazorbackME, Jun 14, 2004.

1. RazorbackME

RazorbackME

First of all, I am not arguing the reliability/accuracy of the Ruger's, Browning's, etc., but I just don't want that German Luger look, know what I mean?

I want a .22LR pistol to plink with. I think I have narrowed this down to 2 completely opposite ends of the spectrum, so I need your help. I really like the look, feel, and price of the Walther P22. Another option is the GLOCK Conversion. My only problem with the conversion is that it is the same price as a P22. What should I do?

2. Glockman67

Glockman67 #29 Supporter

Do what I did, get a Walther P22.

Fun lil' shooter. Everybody and their mother will want to buy me after popping off a few rounds, trust me. I found out the hard way this past saturday! ;)

gman67

3. elsolo

elsolo

I have a few .22's and they all have their own merits. Decide what you really want out of your .22 before choosing a model. If informal plinking is the main goal, any .22 that works right and fits your hand will do fine. If you want to shoot bullseye, see what the competetive shooters in that sport are using in your area. Out of all my .22's the one I have the most fun with is the conversion top end for my CZ-75. I have other .22 pistols, but that one gets the most use. I am allready used to the guns controls, grip, etc. It lets me cheaply practice my left hand only shooting, a few more bricks of .22 ammo and it might not feel so awkward. I like the idea of cheap practice with the platform that you use in IPSC or whatever.

4. JBA111

JBA111

Hay Razor, if your like me then just get anyone ya want right now and in severall months get yourself another one and several months after that get ya a good 22 rifle and several months after that get ya what ever turns yur fancy 22 and several .......
    Get the ideal??
    Man I just love 22s. I got a buckmard, 2 Advantage arms Glock conversions, a Marvel 22 conversion for one of my 1911 Colts, a 22 conversion for one of my AR15s, a CZ 22 a NS522 22 a Savage 22 and a soon tobe gone cause it's the worst accurate 22 I own 10/22.
    A 22 for every mood
    But I truely do not care for the Lil P22, but have a couple P99 9mm pistols that are super pistols, but just don't care for that P22. My AA conversion for my G19 is every bit as accurate as the 2 P22s that I have shot. And since I carry the G19s I really like the cheap practice with the 22s.

5. mtb_mmw

mtb_mmw Road Rash

Be very careful when buying a P22, they are built poorly and will need a lot of TLC at first to get the damn thing shooting reliably. Search the web and look and the Rimfirecentral forum to get the skinny.

I like the weapon, it is great gun to tinker with and is very accurate.

6. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Have Glock, get AACK for your Glock.

Otherwise consider others. The Walther is not the only .22lr pistol.

7. RazorbackME

RazorbackME

Here's an interesting question... Is it possible to get a threaded barrel for the GLOCK .22 conversion for use with a suppressor?

8. jlw_84

jlw_84 General Glocker

I was in this same situation a few months ago, I went with the P22 and have never looked back. I bought mine barely used and it has been 100% reliable through about 2,000 rounds so far. I love it. Everybody that shoots it offers me cash for it on the spot, but Its a keeper. ;)

9. Glockman67

Glockman67 #29 Supporter

Yeah I know what you mean...I offered to sell it to my buddy for $350. ;f

;z

gman67

10. kilroy2721

kilroy2721

I have heard that is has been done, but it is not 100% reliable. But this is second hand info. I have tried to find someone that actually has one, but could never find one...since then I have decided on the P22 with can for starters

11. RazorbackME

RazorbackME

Just out of curiosity, what kind of can do you have on your P22? I am trying to decide which one to buy.

12. kilroy2721

kilroy2721

13. Harlequin

Harlequin I need a weapon

I had occasional reliability problems with my P22 when I first got it. I store it now with the hammer back and since I changed from Federal to Remington bulk ammo it's been 100%.

14. Glockman67

Glockman67 #29 Supporter

harlequin,

does she shoot in DA mode?

mine's being a bit stubborn, I can disengage it when it hangs in half-cock mode by resetting the trigger a la the glock, however, when the hammer drops, it most likely does not have the sufficient force to let the firing pin hit the rim of the cartridge.

gman67

15. Harlequin

Harlequin I need a weapon

Now that I think of it I don't know that I've ever tried. I've only used it at the range and I think I've always started with the hammer back. I'll try it next time though.

16. Glockman67

Glockman67 #29 Supporter

funny how every person I ask that owns a P22, is that they have only shot the lil' thing in SA mode.

^8

:cool:

gman67

17. DownRiver

DownRiver

I asked my self the same exact question when i was in the market for a .22. I went with the walther and I have to say I'm NOT at all dissapointed. I have heard about the DA problem with the P22 but to tell you the truth i don't really understand it(does the gun go into half cock after the first shot or when the trigger is pulled?).

Mine has been great, never store it with the hammer back and yes I do shoot it DA all the time(I plan on carrying it hammer down during small game season so i practice DA shots).

18. JT74

JT74

My P22 has been 100% reliable right out of the box. It has worked every time with a variety of ammo. While the DA trigger leaves much to be desired, it has always functioned without a problem.

Very accurate, reliable and fun little gun.

19. Glockman67

Glockman67 #29 Supporter

Check out GonzoP22-1's postings on www.rimfirecentral.com for the scoop on the DA problem.

It has to deal with the rough stamping of the trigger bar that interferes with the sear assembly as well as the reduced pressure given off from the trigger spring that allows the hammer to "seat" itself into the half cock notch.

On most AE versions, as you *slowly* depress the trigger, the hammer will get stuck in the half cock position. Sometimes when you get the hammer all the way back and when it comes to the forward position (about to strike the firing pin), it hangs in half cock mode.

Like others have said, the P22 is a fun shooter but I would NOT recommend it as a first timer's gun, unless Walther and S&W improve the manufacturing quality.

YMMV.

gman67